Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Oh boy! Did i goof?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Oh boy! Did i goof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh boy! Did i goof?

After installing the flaps to check for fit, I am a little nervous about how well they fit. I tried to install each flap so that the bottom edge lined up with the underside of the wing. All flaps are robarts hinged with a slight angle upwards into the wing TE and the Flap LE. The next step is to remove some material from the TE of the wing (3/16th inch removed so the flap will slide in under the wings TE at the top portion) . I drilled the flap hinge points BEFORE removing the material from the wings TE. Now I am afraid the angle that i drilled the hinge points will make the flaps sit too high after removing the material.................
I am hesitant to remove this material now even tho I know i have to. Should i make some balsa plugs and fill all the hinge points? Anyone else make this mistake? (This is my first kit build so I am learning as i go)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46151.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1231373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34846.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1231374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91434.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1231375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp40190.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1231376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn76812.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1231377  
Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Oh boy! Did i goof?

Remove the material and see how they line up. THEN, only if you need to, plug and re-drill
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Remove the material and see how they line up. THEN, only if you need to, plug and re-drill
I was going to suggest the same thing. Wood is wonderful stuff to work with and easily fixed if buggered up.

I would also suggest that you make a drilling jig using some balsa/plywood and a brass tube to guide the drill bit. Getting consistent properly spaced holes drilled for the Robart push-point hinges is tough work without using one. Use some scrap material to test the hinge locations to ensure they go where you want them.

Cheers,
Old 07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Redback

I've built two TF Corsairs and, not being a master builder, getting the flaps right took a lot of fiddling around. This included more than one adjustment to the holes before I was happy with the way they fitted.

As Minn says, you really have nothing to gain by filling the holes before you remove the material. And likewise, as tschuy says, wood is pretty easy stuff to work with.

It may take you a little time to get the flaps right, however keep persevering and you will be very pleased with the outcome. It it just not possible to build a Corsair without flaps, they are so much part of the look of the plane.

BTW, doesn't look bad at all for a first build. Reckon you are doing pretty well so far[8D]

Terry
Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Thanks to all you guys.......... I was thinking the best way to move forward is to just move forward, then see what adjustments have to be made.
And Thank You Redback for the compliment, every time I look at those wings I see all the mistakes I made but was able to figure out a way to fix em. I will work on those flaps tonite and post pics after i finish em up.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
ArrowNaughtic

I forgot how long ago it was I worked on this. I finally got back to working on this plane a few days ago. Summer flying is way too time consuming. After my previous post I did remove the material from the trailing edge and discovered exactly what I was worried about. So after 2 trips to the LHS for some hard balsa I ended up plugging the holes in the wing and redrilled for the hinge points. I had to make some other adjustments but finally got them where I think they will be functional. Looks like I will be building up portions of the flaps to correctly follow the wings contour. The entire plane will be covered in UltraKote so once everything is smooth and fitted you will never be able to see how my "just sand it a little more" actually backfired on me. Does anyone think coating the fuse and wings with MinWax Sanding Sealer will be an issue? Is there something lighter I can use to seal all the balsa before I do my final puttying and sanding?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77698.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1319799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96496.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1319800  
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On Post #1 I don't think that wing will work with that fuselage
Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 AM
ArrowNaughtic

I bought a really big hammer so I can make it fit.......

Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Big hammer eh? Guess you worked on Harley's before
Old 11-26-2009, 10:04 AM
carrellh

If you're just looking for better adhesion of the film...

From http://www.nelsonhobby.com/covers.html
MODEL PREPARATION
Another preparation option is to use AquaNet hair spray. Spray the areas to be covered with AquaNet. It is only lacquer and is similar to using dope. AquaNet is also good for attaching any of the covering films.