Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Having Trouble With Super Monokote?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Anyone Else Having Trouble With Super Monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:49 AM
GhostRider32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Else Having Trouble With Super Monokote?

ORIGINAL: gmohr

Hi Ghostrider,

In either event Ultracote shrinks like crazy, and I'm sure they have the same EPA regulations.

Regards,
George
Products made in the USA are subject to EPA manufacturing regulations. Products that are not made in the USA are not subject to EPA manufacturing regulations. I'm not sure if Ultracote is made in the USA or not. Something to think about.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
rs670
My Feedback: (1)

You're right George.... Why is it Monokote quality has gotten so bad and all the others have remained OK.

I'll agree with ghostrider on only one thing... Monokote WAS the benchmark that other covering was compared to. There is absolutely no way I'll stay loyal to Top Flight Monokote when the end result is a covering job that makes me look like a beginner. If all the other covering was similar, that would be one thing but it's NOT! I for one will make the change!

Rick
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 AM
rs670

Latest update to recent use of Monokote....

I called Tower Hobbies and told them about my latest experience. They are sending me (at no charge) 3 rolls of 21st Century film made by Coverite.

It's pretty hard to beat TOWER CUSTOMER SERVICE.

THANK YOU TOWER HOBBIES
Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
GhostRider32

I'm not saying that even other coverings may or may not be better. All I'm saying is that if Monocote changed formulas they were forced into it, not because they wanted to. If Monocote is the only US made covering and the others are made in another country then Monocote is the only one subject to the stringent EPA regulations here. Sure it's easy to make stuff when no government is breathing down your back in China like they do here.

I personally don't care if you prefer Monocote, Towercote, Ultracote or whatever, I just think that if you're going to blame someone for something, it should be directed at the right entity. Do you think that the people running Monocote just got up one day and said, Gee, were going to change our formula and go from the leading covering manufacturer to a lower rated covering just for the heck of it?

It's always easier to judge when you don't have the facts and really, how many here can honestly say they know why it changed other than EPA regulations?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
gmohr

Well I'll say this much... if the EPA made them switch, and they are unable to find a formula that works considering those restrictions, then they too should move the manufacturing to another country. Either that or shut the doors on the whole product line, because as it is, they are losing the public trust very quickly, and sales will almost certainly drop.

Anyways, it's not at all clear what the source of this problem is, EPA or just poor quality control. The only fact I know is that I'm much less likely to buy Monokote today than I was this time yesterday.

Regards,
George

P.S. My biggest problem is that I *do* care. Monokote is the only film product IMO that provides a glossy, paint like finish. None of the other options come close to the results that MK used to provide.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 PM
rs670

Right on George...

Seems more like beating a dead horse here.... Who cares where the blame lies?

Monokote covering is not what it used to be. Therefore, since I live in the good ole USA, I can buy whatever I want. Thanks to all those who posted in this forum, I realized there is a problem with Monokote and it wasn't just me.

Tower is replacing it with another product. (No questions asked) Hmmmm, I wonder if they've heard about it too?

Enough said! Sorry ghostrider... I didn't mean to get you going.

Rick
Old 11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They for sure have heard about it , but I dont think they well do anything to correct it. Bax has answered several post about this very problem and for the life of me , I cannot remember what he said about it.,
Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
bullseye000

ORIGINAL: gmohr

Well I'll say this much... if the EPA made them switch, and they are unable to find a formula that works considering those restrictions, then they too should move the manufacturing to another country. Either that or shut the doors on the whole product line, because as it is, they are losing the public trust very quickly, and sales will almost certainly drop.

Anyways, it's not at all clear what the source of this problem is, EPA or just poor quality control. The only fact I know is that I'm much less likely to buy Monokote today than I was this time yesterday.

Regards,
George

P.S. My biggest problem is that I *do* care. Monokote is the only film product IMO that provides a glossy, paint like finish. None of the other options come close to the results that MK used to provide.
That's what I say, I don't care if it's the EPA, the AMA or the ACLU, the stuff doesn't perform like it used to or should. Some R&D needs to be done and the formula tweaked to get the stuff to shrink dependably. At this point I don't think the color matters, I've had issues with white, black and red. I don't believe it's a problem with the pigment or adhesive layer, it's with the film layer that carries the color and does the shrinking. Even if I fight my way through a covering job I find myself making compromises with my covering designs because I have trouble getting the stuff to shrink properly. Then six months later it's as wrinkly and wavey as my 90 year old grandmaw. All customer support did was tick me off with their cavalier attitude about sending the stuff back and how the 13 year old Asian kids who build their arfs use the stuff everyday with no problems. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet or if I'm going to switch. I don't find Ultracote to be such a great product either. They both have their problems I just have to decide which I'm more willing to put up with. I would prefer that the distributor would take heed of all these complaints and at least look into them and consider making some changes.

I built a foam wing in the spring that I glassed and covered in Econokote because it applies at a lower temperature. I didn't have any problems and the covering looks as good as it did when first covered it, NO wrinkles or sags. Makes me wonder.

On another note I noticed that the Monokote master Faye Stilley won 1st place with a Jalopaplane at Toledo earlier this year. I found it interesting that he covered his winner in a color that was discontinued sometime back. I wish he could chime in here with some thoughts. It would be interesting to see if some of his past covering jobs look like a Sharpay of if they all stayed wrinkle free like the arfs covered in Asia.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:28 PM
GhostRider32

Evidently the people who get paid to make MK better haven't been able to do this yet but some of you guys obviously have it all figured out. Do you guys really believe their not trying?....... Nothing like people who constantly whine and complain about something they don't like yet offer no solutions about how to fix the problem......... MK should do this or fix this or do more R&D. This stuff sucks, it won't stick or it won't stretch or it's not like it was years ago, yada, yada, yada............ If you don't llike MK then don't use it but you guys sound like children constantly whining because of something you don't like. MK has changed, whining about it won't make it change back.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Quigleywins

If a company produces somthing that fails to perform as discribed in their adds and you have invested hundreds of dollars in their product and its still on the market then you have payed and payed dearly to warn others of their product faults .I'm new to MK and have attempted to cover around 6 models I had 25 roll all new With no good results Regardless of my efforts as I said early the only thing I covered was the floor. Now I know I have'nt the experience of the 25 year model'er but my first go with solar film was perfect. it did what MK failed to do and that was shrink when heated.
We dont like MK and we will never use it again but to think that the big guys can produce somthing that fails to work and it remains on the market and you think that its just our bad luck . Well think again its cost me around $400 dollars to find out its the product not my ability to handle the product. As I said I'm new to MK not to Building I quit building not long after MK came out ,I think this was around 62 I came back aquired a power of gear and equipment etc of which MK was stoked up on due to the distance from the LHS.
We do offer a solution and that very clear I'll put it in large letters for you DO NOT USE MK UNLESS YOU WANT A CRAP LOOKING FINISH.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 AM
GhostRider32

Quigley,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune and you certainly have every right to let others know of your issues my only disagreement with this whole thread is all some people want to do is come on here and whine. They don't offer solutions or many if any positive points. Just constant whining. I may very well try some of the solar film you speak of, it sounds like it may be a good MK replacement.

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

If a company produces somthing that fails to perform as discribed in their adds and you have invested hundreds of dollars in their product and its still on the market then you have payed and payed dearly to warn others of their product faults .I'm new to MK and have attempted to cover around 6 modelsI had 25 roll all new With no good results Regardless of my efforts as I said early the only thing I covered was the floor. Now I know I have'nt the experience of the 25 year model'er but my first go with solar film was perfect. it did what MK failed to do and that was shrink when heated.
We dont like MK and we will never use it again but to think that the big guys can produce somthing that fails to work and it remains on the market and you think that its just our bad luck . Well think again its cost me around $400 dollars to find out its the product not my ability to handle the product. As I said I'm new to MK not to Building I quit building not long after MK came out ,I think this was around 62 I came back aquired a power of gear and equipment etc of which MK was stoked up on due to the distance from the LHS.
We do offer a solution and that very clear I'll put it in large letters for you DO NOT USE MK UNLESS YOU WANT A CRAP LOOKING FINISH.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Two points:

First, technique is all important with the new MonoKote. Those who rely on attaching it and then shrinking it into place are bound to be disappointed. Those who use a heat gun to stretch it into place have somewhat better results. Even using the stretching technique I'm not buying it anymore.

Second, I just have to guess that there are a couple warehouses full of MonoKote someplace and those who want a new formulation will have to wait quite a long time until existing stocks are depleted. That's just my guess on it.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
pminnick
My Feedback: (6)

Has anyone tried the old Sig Supercoat film? Any good? My LHS has a few rolls they are discounting to get rid of. Wondering if its worth trying?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 AM
rs670

Stripes,

I used a Top Flight iron and trim tool to tack edges down as per instructions. Then I went entirely around perimeter. When finished, it looked almost good eough to quit but when I used the heat gun to get it "drum tight", that's when the problems started and wrinkles started appearing. After using the heat gun, it looked worse with seemingly no way to fix it. That's when I finally removed it and tried starting over with more Monokote. Still, I ended up with the same "less than perfect" result. I DID have a partial old roll of white monokote. There wasn't near enough to complete the project but I applied it just as a test. Guess what.... It went on perfectly. That's when I got on RCUniverse looking for info about others having this problem. I think the title of the thread is right to the point by saying ANYONE ELSE HAVING TROUBLE WITH SUPER MONOKOTE

Thank you all who shared your experience and opinion. It helped me to hear I wasn't alone in this mess. Keep the info coming and don't be concerned about the guy who calls it "whining".

Rick
Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 AM
atron

I think we all know Monocote is not an option anymore.

Can you all share your experience looking for alternatives for MonoCrap?

Century 21 film
Century 21 fabric
Tower Hobbies film
Ultracote
Solarfilm
Econokote
Chinakote
Sig Koverall
even Silk & Dope

Old 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM
rs670

Tower Hobbies is replacing my Monokote with 3 rolls of 21st Century film. (no cost). Haven't got it yet but if it's anywhere near as good as the 21st Century fabric, I know I'll be satisfied. I had the fabric on a J-3 Cub and loved the way it went around compound curves etc. If fabric is the look you want, I don't think it can be beat.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 AM
GhostRider32

Coming in here stating your issue is great, coming in here numerous times with the same old blah, blah, blah over and over is whining..... I am as interested as anyone for a suitable replacement to MK but grown men should act like grown men.

ORIGINAL: rs670

Stripes,

I used a Top Flight iron and trim tool to tack edges down as per instructions. Then I went entirely around perimeter. When finished, it looked almost good eough to quit but when I used the heat gun to get it ''drum tight'', that's when the problems started and wrinkles started appearing. After using the heat gun, it looked worse with seemingly no way to fix it. That's when I finally removed it and tried starting over with more Monokote. Still, I ended up with the same ''less than perfect'' result. I DID have a partial old roll of white monokote. There wasn't near enough to complete the project but I applied it just as a test. Guess what.... It went on perfectly. That's when I got on RCUniverse looking for info about others having this problem. I think the title of the thread is right to the point by saying ANYONE ELSE HAVING TROUBLE WITH SUPER MONOKOTE

Thank you all who shared your experience and opinion. It helped me to hear I wasn't alone in this mess. Keep the info coming and don't be concerned about the guy who calls it ''whining''.

Rick
Old 11-13-2009, 10:41 AM
GhostRider32

I hope it works well, I may try some on my next plane.

Tower Hobbies is replacing my Monokote with 3 rolls of 21st Century film. (no cost). Haven't got it yet but if it's anywhere near as good as the 21st Century fabric, I know I'll be satisfied. I had the fabric on a J-3 Cub and loved the way it went around compound curves etc. If fabric is the look you want, I don't think it can be beat.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Very anxious to hear how you like the 21st Century Film. Please tell us how it goes on compared to Monokote. Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 10:42 AM
rs670

Hi Jeff,

Well, here's the deal on that.... I called Tower just to confirm shipment since I can't track it like a regular order. I was disappointed when they told me it's out of stock and would be approximately a month. I had enough "Ultracote" in my shop to do the bottom of the wing so I did that. It went on so nice, I was amazed! Compound curves around wing tips were a snap and when finishing up with the heat gun, everything came out "perfect". I was so pleased, I ordered 3 more rolls immediately so I could finish the project and take it south with me for the winter season. Sorry I couldn't comment on the 21st Century film but I would expect it to do as well as the Ultracote. I think I was in such a rut trying to do "perfect covering jobs" with monokote, I just didn't realize how switching brands would make life so much easier.

Rick
Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM
bullseye000

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

Evidently the people who get paid to make MK better haven't been able to do this yet but some of you guys obviously have it all figured out. Do you guys really believe their not trying?....... Nothing like people who constantly whine and complain about something they don't like yet offer no solutions about how to fix the problem......... MK should do this or fix this or do more R&D. This stuff sucks, it won't stick or it won't stretch or it's not like it was years ago, yada, yada, yada............ If you don't llike MK then don't use it but you guys sound like children constantly whining because of something you don't like. MK has changed, whining about it won't make it change back.
Just like all those people who whined and cried when Coke changed their formula. Good thing the Coca Cola company decided to disregard all that whining.

No sense in complaining or discussing it here.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Stripes

Stripes,

I used a Top Flight iron and trim tool to tack edges down as per instructions. Then I went entirely around perimeter. . . .

No, no, no, not what I meant. The heat gun technique is to solidly attach one or two edges then grap the free edge of the film and pull it while heating the film with a heat gun. The film is in the air except for the attached edge. The film will stretch out a bit as you pull. When you have a bit of a stretch and there are no wrinkles you lower the heated film down onto the model. It will be hot enough to stick. Move down a few inches and repeat. My repeats are usually six to eight inches long.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 PM
gmohr

ORIGINAL: Stripes

Stripes,

I used a Top Flight iron and trim tool to tack edges down as per instructions. Then I went entirely around perimeter. . . .

No, no, no, not what I meant. The heat gun technique is to solidly attach one or two edges then grap the free edge of the film and pull it while heating the film with a heat gun. The film is in the air except for the attached edge. The film will stretch out a bit as you pull. When you have a bit of a stretch and there are no wrinkles you lower the heated film down onto the model. It will be hot enough to stick. Move down a few inches and repeat. My repeats are usually six to eight inches long.

This is the procedure I use when I have a rather complex curve to deal with. This failed totally with my current roll of black MK, along with everything else I tried...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Stripes

I agree. I have burned holes in the black attempting to get it to stretch the way I wanted it to do.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:40 PM
rs670

I purchased three rolls of Ultrakote instead of waiting for the backordered 21st Century film. I'm very satisfied with the end result. The Ultrakote went on without a single flaw. The other film came a few days later. I'll use it on something else if I can ever allow myself to switch from Ultrakote which I've fallen in love with! I'll probably never use Super Monokote again. I'm even going to think twice before purchasing a Great Planes ARF because of the covering used. I'll lean toward a kit if I go with Great Planes.

Thank you everyone on this thread for sharing your experiences.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21433.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1326194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38734.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1326195  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.