Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Might metalic iron-on covering interfere w/2.4GHZ receiver?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Might metalic iron-on covering interfere w/2.4GHZ receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Might metalic iron-on covering interfere w/2.4GHZ receiver?

Might sound like a dumb question, however I've seen some strange stuff happen with 2.4 GHZ (Futaba/Spektrum) radios.
I'm about to begin covering a new build (.90 size) and thought some metalic iron-on might look nice. Then I wondered what the shiny stuff really is inside that iron-on, some kind of metal perhaps? Would/might it adversely affect my receiver?

Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:50 PM
icegs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Might metalic iron-on covering interfere w/2.4GHZ receiver?

Probably...

I have a House of Balsa Stealth Sport that had Chrome monokote on it at one point. It had a habit of falling out of the sky. I was using a Spektrum AR6100 receiver in it. It would periodically go unresposive for a few moments. One of the other club members had mentioned that the Monokote did actually have a metallic component in the chrome covering. I stripped that off, and went with another colour, and all the glitching instantly disappeared. I haven't had a glitch with that plane or any ony of my other Spektrum equipment since.

With that, I am going to avoid the chrome except for small trim pieces now.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the same thing. But only with the chrome film. I've used silver metallic and aluminum without issue.

Cheers,
Old 07-11-2009, 10:04 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of metalic blue and either chrome or aluminum. Guess I'll stick with the more basic colors just to be safe.