Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

HAVE YOU SHORTENED YOUR FOUR STAR 120 WINGS????

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

HAVE YOU SHORTENED YOUR FOUR STAR 120 WINGS????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HAVE YOU SHORTENED YOUR FOUR STAR 120 WINGS????

I recently finished a 4*120 ARF and was thinking about striping the covering and shortening the wing by one or two ribs(each side), reinforcing the wing(as the ARF wing is fairly flexible) and recovering the wing. Just curious if any of you 4*120 kit builders had shortened the wing and what you thought afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98096.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1233360  
Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: HAVE YOU SHORTENED YOUR FOUR STAR 120 WINGS????

My flying buddy has a 4-star 120 (with a zenoah g-23) on it that has about a million flight on it. He lets me fly it all the time so I'm pretty familiar with. About a year ago he he cut one bay of of the wings like you are considering. Difference was like night and day. It REALLY woke that plane up and took it from being fun to fly to being a BLAST to fly!!!! I highly recommend you do it!!!

Ken

Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
stuntflyr

Funny you should mention that. My dad's buddies all take two bays out of theirs. They love 'em.
In direct opposition he built his stock length and built HUGE rounded tips outboard of that, along with sheeting the leading edges with balsa. It flies beautifully, though he is a Sporty Acro guy rather than a flip/flopper, if you know what I mean; He likes Bob Hoover over Patty Wag-er-tail.
Chris...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 4-star 60 with an OS .91 4-stroke. Can't wait to remove one bay to see how it flies. It flies great now.

About the 4-star 1.20: Is one of the servo's back in the tail?

Thanks
oliveDrab
Old 07-28-2009, 05:44 AM
airbusdrvr

4*120 ARF has the elev servo in the tail. I have the kit but have not opened it to know about servo placement. With the wing shortened one bay it flies very nicely. It does not slow down on landing quite as fast as with the longer wing(less drag, I guess).