Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Looking for the kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Looking for the kit

Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 PM
qwertypemdas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the kit

I soloed my trainer (kit built LT-40) and I'm now comfortable pushing it to it's (absolute) limits. I even re-did the wing so i can pull more G's without risk of ripping it apart. Seriously I'm doin inverted everythind with max control throw setup and... it just fly's like a trainer. Sooo, my instructor recomended I move up to a stik plane. BUT, I don't want no arf or nothing (GP makes a big stik 40 ARF), I need a kit but it seems nobody makes a stik kit. If anybody know's of a stik kit (or good plans, I can scratchbuild), or if you have an old kit that you want to get rid of, plz tell me about it. I'm looking for anywhere between .40 and 1.2 (.40 or .60 preferred). And what other plane would you guys recommend if not a stik. I love building for hundreds of hours so maybe somthing scale? I have great experience in any building, modeling, and modifying rc airplanes and like to be alone and build. So arf is OUT of the question in case u didn't get it. Maybe a warbird kit? I need something that will take maybe at least 500 hours.

In short I need a stik kit, can't find one. Can scratchbuild, and I like building for extended time.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Looking for the kit

Check RC Universe or Ebay. You can find kits there. There is also a place called Lazer Works that has laser cut short kits. You still have to buy the sticks and sheet, but everything else is there. Price is very fair. Just google laserworks.

Vince
Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 PM
qwertypemdas

Thank you very much for the reply. I'll check it out now.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 PM
frankspeaks

the top flite c182 or stinson are good scale kits, but not very aerobatic.
the "hooker" plans from rcm plan service by chuck cunningham is a great all around plane especially if you like flying more than building....

there are lots of kits and plans still around... check out http://www.precisioncutkits.com and http://www.ziroliplans.com

those are both good places to start in you search.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 PM
qwertypemdas

Thx For the info, will check that out too.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Berta

Hi

You could try a SIG somthin extra if you want a good second plane. Can be setup mild to wild and is avalible as kit and ARF.
Lots of tips etc on RCU... you can't go wrong....bert
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
qwertypemdas

Thx for the reply. I might go for that.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the market place. there is a guy selling gobs and gobs of kits under airplane garage sale. he will send you a list
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=538872
Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

I cannot believe no one has mentioned it, but a four star sound like a good fit and come in every size you mention.
Alan
Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a really fun build that'll look and fly great, do a SIG 1/5 scale Cub and build the clipped wing version.

papermache
Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM
davred

Could look here.

http://www.belairkits.com/Productdetail.asp?Id=538
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 PM
blindfaithnogod

here are some good ones for a second plane.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJC9&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ575&P=0

Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM
qwertypemdas

I think the Sig somethin extra is the winner so far. Saw one at the field and it looked to fly great. It's small wingspan and 2 piece wing means that I can bring my trainer (73" single piece wing!) and still have room to bring the extra as well. Also I love Sig, my first and only plane is from them. It's a LT-40 kit and I'm very impressed with there quality. If I finish the extra before next summer (I'm very good at wasting time) I'll go for a plan build of the original Phil Craft Das Ugly Stik. I'm a big fan of Phil Craft, he was a true rc pioneer... anyway I think the extra is going on my build table.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A ultrasport 40- 60 might fit the bill. You can always just leave the tuirtle deck off and build the fuse plane like a stick.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Check out this stick short kit See post #133........ http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27...6/key_/tm.htm#
I also tried to pm you with a link to more info, guess it did not go thru.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:27 AM
qwertypemdas

thnx
Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
qwertypemdas

Ok, I found the coolest plane EVER IMO!!! The Diamond Dust!!! Clocked at over 200mph in level flight and it weighs only 2lb. [X(] It's easy as pie to build and fly because it can fly sooo slow with it's low weight. Anyone here have expirience with these kits? Amazing kit as well. Inludes averyting all carbon fiber even ball links and pushrods. It even includes some covering tape. All laser cut and it rubber bands together before you apply a drop of glue! I've seen them fly and this is just the best plane i could think of existing. I plan to hook it up with a nive 40 and a tuned pipe. Plz leave opinions and such. Idk but this seems pretty good. Oh, and the kit is ONLY $75!!! It also looks awesome!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: qwertypemdas

Ok, I found the coolest plane EVER IMO!!! The Diamond Dust!!! Clocked at over 200mph in level flight and it weighs only 2lb. [X(] It's easy as pie to build and fly because it can fly sooo slow with it's low weight. Anyone here have expirience with these kits? Amazing kit as well. Inludes averyting all carbon fiber even ball links and pushrods. It even includes some covering tape. All laser cut and it rubber bands together before you apply a drop of glue! I've seen them fly and this is just the best plane i could think of existing. I plan to hook it up with a nive 40 and a tuned pipe. Plz leave opinions and such. Idk but this seems pretty good. Oh, and the kit is ONLY $75!!! It also looks awesome!
I think any plane that can do 200MPh might require a bit more than you might be able to handle with only LT-40 time on your side. Think this one over. And remember a 2 pound plane will be bounced all over the sky in any type of wind. Perhaps you should try to find a set of plans for a "stik" and either have it cut or cut it your self. Just for kicks check out the "Giant Stik" at AMR.... I think it is like a 150CC version of what you want.

Good Luck always.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
qwertypemdas

I talked to many speed pilots that own the Diamon Dust, and they say it will be fine for a bigginer if I just use dual rates. Also, I fly my trainer in 20mph+ winds with no difficulties (most people at the field can't dream of doing that). I respect your opinion and I think I'm going to build 2 kit's this winter: Diamond Dust, and I found a guy on rcgroups that laser cuts the original das ugly stick in a short kit.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM
tod0001

Get a Sig or Goldberg Cub.
Has your second plane, these will teach you about tail-draggers, snap-rolls, and spins!!
Most importantly, these cubs will force you to fly with your rudder, vastly improving your skill set as a pilot.......

The Goldberg Cub builds super fast and you'll be up flying it in under a month(2 weeks), allowing you to build your more advanced( high speed) stick or Somthin Extra while your flying your cub....

Old 08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
qwertypemdas

I already do snap rolls spins etc with my trainer and I have a foamy for 3D.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 PM
tod0001

Sounds as if your all set then!!!
Good luck!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 AM
qwertypemdas

hmmm, ok, just got back from the field. yeah... "I" crashed. But I have a great excuse!!!! I've been having major engine troubles with my evolution 40NT (all bad reviews on this engine). I was taking off, flying a few seconds then landing to adjust the engine. I did this about 7 times not thinking about fuel. At my field we have "the pit". It's a HUGE man made bowl a few hundred feet deep, almost vertical walls and a few hundred feet length and with. I was coming in to land and refuel after I finally got my engine tuned (maybe tuned), I was right over the pit a bit far out so I dicided to throttle up to get over the runway (duh). I didn't hear the engine when I throttled up so I shouted dead stick! Well the plane was to low to glide in, so it went down in the pit, there is a 10 foot burm in front of the pit so you can't see it, my LT-40 was over a massive pit, out of site, engine dead, with a pilot on his 5th solo flight (who never had a deadstick before), and a year of hard work and money has about to hit the vertical rocky wall of "The Pit". The damage is repairable, the wing joint is a little srewed up, the fuselage buckled, the wing mounts popped out (taking some fuse with it), the engine needs a rebuild (ARG!!), and some minor things like the servo tray and prop. The worst thing is the engine, I need to replace the bearings because they are all loose and grindy now and it has been acting up in past flights. It's completely disassembled now and the rear bearings as well as the crankshaft are all RED!!! The are red and gritty like rust! I use green fuel so is this red c*** normal? I hear terrible things about evolution engines. I took some pix of the crankshaft. What concerns me is that the red stuff almost feels sandy, I know that sandy grit on the back of your crankshaft is not good no matter what. So all projects are pushed back until I rebuild my trainer/wing and engine. I can't blame the engine for the crash because I ran out of fuel. Also the engine starts withind maybe a tenth of a second of aplying the starter. Super easy to start and it runs great on the table but as soon as I start down the runway it goes super retarded on me and never revs past about half the normal rpm's. Also, in the air, half throttle is higher than full throttle. The problem is the same even when the mixture is lean perfect or rich. Is the red "rust" responsible for this? Should i just screw it and get a TT or OS? Hmmm. It really sux not haveing a plane in the air, I'm going to miss the field funfly this weekend. I need info plz.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Aurora_60

It's always bad to hear about a crash.
Did you ever adjust the "idle" mixture? You usually need a screw driver to do this unlike the needle valve.
I really liked the first sugestion you had about a Stick as a second plane. Their easy to build, fix and they pretty much always fly great. You will need to hunt down a old one though if your looking for a kit. Goldberg still sell the Falcon 56 MK III. Pretty much a stick w/ an airfoiled stab and a canopy. Also I would really recomend the Great Planes Super Sportster or a Kaos, if your starting to like the low wing planes.
The Diamond Dust is an Awsome plane. But it is mainly a "Go Fast" plane. It doesn't really do aerobatics as well as a conventional plane. It all depends on what you want your second plane to do.

DM
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
davidgeorge212

The Jerrys little boy or big boy are both fantastic aerobatic "Stick " type planes. They are from morris hobbies which I dont know if they are still in business or not but the plans are still available. They fly great and have no bad flight characteristics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.