Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dynaflite Butterfly build

Back on the Helleflopters Earl. I had my Butterfly out today working on it . Its so close to finished now. We'v had some rough weather last week but today was perfect for a change. No big rains like Queenland but we did have 5 inches in one day 10 inches over 3 days. It dont rain in January we have bushfires. Any way Sundays a flying day So the mind will be on better things. Lets know how you are going Earl, Yours Paul T
Great to see your effort there Cpt Crash. You are right about it being a Classic, all here just love them. At least there back in production.
Bill I hope your well enough to get started on yours soon. That doctors waiting room no place to be sitting in every day.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quigleywins, I knew the heli thing would get you out of the woodwork! lol Im glad to hear you are ok, didnt know if the floods had affected you or not. Hope you are doing well. The weather here has been terrible for flying. I am having withdrawl symtoms! I have more plans for my butterfly, a bigger folding prop, and add a cam to take pictures/vids.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

I don`t want to be a but-in but just thought this may be helpful-On my Butterfly I use very fine soft wire(mail tag wire) to hold the 2 wing halfs together, just wrap around several times-I`ve had same wire wraped around the screws for over 8 years now and it`s still working.
Love those Butterflys.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Quigleywins

Earl I thought the ice may have got into your blood Well after one day of work on the butterfly its back on the back of the bench. The big news is that I've aquired a OS 20 Four Stroke. so the plan will be back in full swing when it arrives. I will let you know how the pair go toghether. On the weather side where OK but its only about 60 miles to where its not, our flying field surface has never looked better.Been on the HDL this week and we have pups ( 9 Golden Retrevers)
Wulf ok on the wire I did start the same way with the first butterfly The second will be the same .
Yours Butterfly Lover Paul T
Old 01-22-2011, 04:02 PM
billarms

thanks paul feeling better every day and hopfuly will be back to my old self very soon
[been to long]
i have been doing some work on the plan,s to suit my build and hopfuly make the tail section lighter
a friend of my son,s has the wing rib drawings as supplied by you and is going to cut them for me
on his cnc machine when he gets a spare moment that will save me a heap of time
till next time cheers guys and i hope it won,t be so long before next post
bill
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 AM
sandal

Well, after two months of nothing I did a little work on the Butterfly today, and I moved all my building equipment from the barn and into a smaller shed closer to my house. It's still too cold to build very much though. Below -10C/15F most of the time for the last two months. March will be better. We'll probably see the next geologic era before the Butterfly is ready to fly.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Clay Walters

I know how you feel Sandal. Funny, just a little bit every now and then and suddenly you'll have a plane!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM
ejam

I found a kit of a Craft-air stepp two yesturday in a mom&pop hobby shop. I will take apicture and post it here.

here is the picture. I have never seen or heard of a Stepp Two from craft-air. Any one want to chime in with info/history on this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97047.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1555736  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
ejam

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be starting the build of the Dynaflite Skeeter. I have already laid out the plans and pinned the trailing edge and bottom spar down.
I will be keeping this one powerless.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM
dougkierc

Are you guys flying your Butterflies at the recommended COG of 3 3/16"? I just finished covering my electric version. As is, its balanced at 3 7/16" without any additional nose weight. AUW is 50 oz, so I don't think an extra ounce or two will make much of a difference over a 99 inch wing span, but I'd rather not add dead weight.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM
ejam

dougkierc, mine came out tail heavy, and that was with an OS 25 up front. I have converted it to ele. and I now use a 11.1v 3200mah lipo battery, and it balances out good. A bigger battery mignt be the way to go.
What motor and ele. equipment did you us?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
dougkierc

Here she is completed. I ended up mounting a small camera to the front and she balances perfect. I am running two cell 4000mah at around 200watts. Added spoilers, carbon landing gear, carbon pushrods and recut the fuse halves in balsa. Tried to cut as much weight as possbile and ended around 51 0z AUW. Covered in trans purple and white with gold and yellow trim on the wing. I am pleased with it, but won't be able to maiden for some time. Ended up with a couple feet of snow last night.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Clay Walters

She's a beaut Doug. Butterfly looks good too!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

An outstanding model. I, too am in the Midwest and just dug out of last night's blizzard. It does look like you have more accumulation than Kansas City however.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 AM
sandal

Greetings from the republic of Snow-istan.

I built the elevators today, so all the tail feathers are ready to be sanded. And I learned that CA works fine when it's cold. The elevator joiner had to be glued with epoxy. Emma was very kind and let me glue it inside the house.

Tomorrow I'll start building the wing if the weather is good.

Edit: photo

Name:	Xv63206.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1558802  
Old 02-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Quigleywins

Great to see your back at the build. I did try to have my second Butterfly ready to go for this morning,but just as well as the winds up to about 25 KM/H It will be ready for next week. On the weather we had 100MM last week what a summer this year floods everwhere. . Photo next post,off flying in the next hour (old butterfly) Great to hear that there is some action in Norway and the glues allowed in side Yours Paul T
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM
sandal

The right wing, inner panel:

Name:	Om32966.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1559962  
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Clay Walters

Sandal,

Looks like you're on the move now! It will begin to look like a plane soon and that will spur you along even more.

Clay
Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Quigleywins

Clay has said it all. I had my old butterfly so high last Sunday I lost it in the clouds what fun. . Yours Paul T PS Keep the photos coming we all love seeing these Butterflys comming along.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 AM
ejam

sandal,
Good to see you coming along. Just when you think you are almost done, you find something else to slow the build. lol

Quigleywins, Did you loose the butterfly for good, or did you gain sight of it and get it back to earth?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Quigleywins

Earl , The butterfly is OK ,I just entered the clouds and then I put it on left rudder till it reappeared moments later. Great fun, It was the highest I've had it.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Doug

That is the nicest butterfly I have ever seen. I always wondered about using balsa sides instead of the lite ply. Great job on the build.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
shoes53

hello   also new to the forum  i have my butterfly built ... my question is  i dont see  these 2 screws that  on any of the pictures .  in the forum. these are the 2 screws  on the plan that shows the wings  leading edge, that keeps the wings from coming apart   they are held on  with a couple on bands                     ,,,,, wondering  if these screws are on the inside  where not visable ,  or are they optional thanks

Old 03-11-2011, 05:59 PM
shoes53

hello all   wondering  can i use  a os max 15 on my butterfly
Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 AM
latebraker

I have an OS .15LA on mine and it flies it very nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.