Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dynaflite Butterfly build

One thing I hate is replying to ones self,I talk to my self in the shed so why no here. Shoes 53 I noted that you have not given a report on that first flight,has it happened yet.Sandal hows the progress in your shed going.
I need to report that the second Butterfly went walkabout last week,it was great to have the exact location on the transmitter(GPS),it felt so good knowing just where it was. One of the other club members saw it come back to earth so the method of finding was the old method (walk in that direction) Not that much damage ,one broken engine mount, Front former broken,block in front of the wing broken. it was in the ground around 6inches and took some pull to get the motor back. One thing with a four stroke no dirt in the carby they are great.It will be going again this week end. The week before this I did get it to the 1005 meters before putting it into a steap dive to get it back where you can see it more easily . The next week the thing was in the clouds at 190 meters. I think in future I will keep away from the clouds, they have been my downfall now on two occasions. I hope that all the Butterfly builders and flyers are well and in good spirits,where still in winter here in OZ but we seem to get a good Sunday now and again so flying just as much as ever I have about 10 flyers at the moment so the rebuild pile is a lot lower, Just need to keep it that way. Yours Paul T
Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 PM
shoes53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey quigleywins ..... yes its been awhile. but theres still hope. thet butterfly has been ready for a long time , never got out there for maiden flight due to family matters . every thing is ok now i am breaking in the motor the last couple of days , seems like ready to go . i hope things are good with you . i know i havent been visiting the site often . i will keep you posted on when the butterfly makes it in the air, i hope soon, weather permitting oh i am working on a pete n poke kit for the winter so that keeping me busy at home wll see you at the forum thanks shoes 53
Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Quigleywins

Hay Shoes53 HAVE YOU HAD THAT FIRST FLIGHT. I know that it has been some time since this thread was in use. So its time for every body to come back and say G-Day Mate.
I still fly the old Butterfly every now and then ,the last time was last week. There is nothing so relaxing than a quiet flight up near the clouds,What Say Ye All,.
I must say that I have a new Butterfly kit (that maks 3)that I intend keeping till I'm in my 70s as I think it will be possible to fly at any age. It will be great to start and finish my flying days with such a fantastic aircraft. Yours Paul T PS Ejam is about again and His hellflopters are for sale. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Here's mine - old OS 20 for power -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69566.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1695049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95411.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1695050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38923.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1695051  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

The transparent green looks great! How is it for visibility up in the sky?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:25 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

The trans green is fairly easy to see - I do have a 3" chrome strip on bottom of one wing to help.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Nitrowiz

Hey there, I Have almost finisheed my butterfly just need to finish leading eges, glue rudder and elevator, mount engine and cover. by the way this was my first kit/ second plane (First one was a Boomerang 40 crashed 15 seconds into flight beyond repair). It is going to have an OS fs 20 with a 6 or 8oz fuel tank, Sullivan in-flight generator, on-board glow driver for long idle when gliding and it's going to be covered in Monokote transparent red for the wings and Chrome for the fuse. any tips? e.g. covering, flying, any useful convirsions ect?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Lifer

Some caution might need to be exercised if using Chrome on the fuselage. I have seen instances in the past where it can shield, or block radio signal reception. I do not know if this can happen to a 2.4 rig, but they usually transmit at a lower power than FM or AM radios. Please externally mount your receiver wire(s).
Old 12-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Nitrowiz

Thanks for the tip. The Spektrum DX7 uses dual path diversity (External and internal receiver) So i suppose i could mount one under the fuse or even on the inside of the wing but i'm pretty sure that the dual path is bulletproof. Not that i want to find out.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Lifer

At the very least, perform a range check. Would hate to see a good model lost!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Nitrowiz

Range check should be standard procedure no matter how experienced you are. Also is it true about the plane not wanting to land? I mean I doubt it is true but does it actually glide that well? Anyway hopefully the flight will last long enough to find out.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Quigleywins

Nitrowiz Hi Great to see some one in Aust with the same aircraft. Now if you have read all the posts in this thread you will have seen what I'm going to tell you.
I have had a OS 20 FS In my first Butterfly and it flew Great,however because of the ballance problems I had, the second one that I made I put about 30 mm in the nose( longer) and put about 15 Deg down thrust in the Mount. Keep this in mind after your first flight. It should climb like a rocket, after you hand launch it. They don't rise of the ground very well so give a softl release at about 30 deg up from the horizen. Small amounts of ruder and elevator are only needed. If you over control it it will turn on a ten cent piece and you will have big trouble geting it back under control. They will take a fair impack with the earth (well mine have). I still have the first one (under repair at the moment). If in trouble Kill the power that may give you time to think. Have a great time I always do. I have also GPS for when it goes walkabout.
How did you get the Kit as I'v never seen one in the outlets here.
ronwc I do like the finish you have ,Keep in touch and let us know how its Going. I have had mine at 1000 Meters Just windering how good that green realy is

Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Nitrowiz

Thanks for the tips. I got my kit from tower hobbies. I don't know if I will have the same balancing issues because it's going to have an on-board glow driver, 2000mah battery and an on-board generator. I reckon if I moved them round a bit I could achieve balance. Oh and i'm going to put some sort of rocket propelled bomb underneath so it can be remotely fired. should be a good setup.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:11 PM
shoes53

hey quiglywins how are you doing good to here some currant post,it was kind of a slow period for awhile . the last few months here in chicago , my off tues day the weather was not good for flying . i did get to take the b/f to the forest preserve the police officer let me taxie, when he wasent looking igot the b/f off the ground oh about 3 ft and came back down this all happended in 7 sec ........ what a thrill.......lol...... anyway i got a vacation coming , it will be cold but ill pray for litewind . i will keep you posted and good luck everyone thanks shoes53
Old 03-18-2012, 06:22 AM
sandal

Finally an update on my Butterfly build. A couple of weeks ago I bought an SC (/Magnum/ASP) FS30. Today I built most of the outer right wing panel. This summer the Butterfly will fly. (I know I said the same last year) Please send angry e-mails if it starts looking like I'm about to give up again...
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Clay Walters

Just don't give up cause we need to see fresh pics!

Currently the only plane I have flyable is my butterfly. Tailskids have been problematic but other than that she's become 'ol reliable for me.

Clay
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 AM
Quigleywins

Its been a fair time since I posted on the Butterfly thread ,I'm still flying the second one with no progress on the first one.I have used the wings once or twice,main reason they were the first set of wings I found.
Sandal is the sun up there yet still need to here how that first flight went. Yours Paul T
Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM
littlegnome

Hello

After reading most of the posts I decided to join in. This is my first post on any type of forum.

I can't believe that it was almost 9 years ago that I got my first RC airplane, a GWS Slow Stick. What a hobby! Now I just purchased the Dynaflite Butterfly kit for my 65th birthday. Last night I had the plans copied as I often make a mess of them when building, and rebuilding, and rebuilding, and rebuilding etc. I am looking forward to the advice from all of you and will try to keep you posted on progress. I will electrify the Butterfly. Probably extend the nose and try to build the tail light.

First question
What should I do to the stabs to keep them light.

PS: I will be using wood glue and epoxy, not CA for the Build Also I Still Have That Slow Stick Very Battered The wing looks like the legs of an old lady with bad varicose veins!

Gary

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Quigleywins

Gary I hope that some lady did'nt give you that name Little Gnome. Thanks for making your first post here on the Butterfly thread,the norm here is Earl would do the welcome but he's been away a time now. So you have a Butterfly kit,you have read the thread so there is no need for me to go over my way of building the butterfly. I have three one flying one on the repair table ( with 6 other aircraft) and one in kit form for when I get old.
Hay we are the same age ,well there is only about 60 days in it.
As to the tail because I have the extended nose ,I find the weight at the rear not a problem. You will find that the battery pack will also help with the ballance if elec. So build away and lets see some photos and get this thread going again. Yours Paul T
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 AM
KLonsdale

Here are pictures of my 30+ year old Craft Air Butterfly that I finally finished for my son. It has an Exceed .25 Monster Power motor and 30 amp Esc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97919.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1772580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12120.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1772581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19963.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1772582  
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM
littlegnome

Klonsdale

I like your covering.
I do have a couple of questions,
What Battery and prop do you use?
How long are the motor mounting spacers
I also am new to this thread, Reading these posts has been a pleasure for me and I feel that these are a great bunch of guys with similar intrests to me.

Gary Leonard
Old 06-16-2012, 05:34 PM
KLonsdale

The covering is Ultracote bright yellow and black.
The battery is a 4 cell 2200 mah, if i went with a higher capacity battery I could take some of the added weight out of the nose.
The prop is a 11x7 or 11x7.5
The spacers are 1 inch long nylon spacers that I got from Lowes.

The main landing gear is the fiberglass unit from Tower Hobbies, I drilled the holes to save weight.
The steerable tailwheel is an aluminum unit I got from Nitro Planes.

The wings are sheeted with 1/16 balsa from the leading edge to the spar and the ribs are capped as well.

I you have more questions let me know I am always glad to share what little I know.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Nitrowiz

I've changed around a fair bit, I'm now planning to have two OS fs 20's on the front for power, i've got panels on the wings and I'm going to set up a remote rocket of some kind, and rocket engines build in for shorter landings and takeoffs.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM
ejam

Hello everyone! I had to revisit this thread cause I just love the butterfly. I have plans to add another butterfly to my collection and when I do the build I will be back here! Butterfly #2 will be lighter and hopefully even a better floater! My first butterfly came in at 60 oz. I hope to have the next one in the 40s somewhere. I know to build the tail real light, seems to be a problem with many butterfly builds. And it will be electric.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 AM
sandal

Welcome back, ejam!

I still haven't finished building my Butterfly (no progress for a couple of years). It's still in pieces in the shed. Maybe I should try to finish it this summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.