Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:04 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sebo
That's a really good looking plane.
You must be a fantastic pilot.
I could never have landed on the table as you have done.
How did you stop the roll?
I studied very hard in school...
Old 08-28-2015, 03:06 PM
DGrant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6otW4bTOw

This was the maiden take-off...
Old 08-29-2015, 04:37 AM
rcboone2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built mine with a 30 size electric motor on a 3 cell 2200 ma.battery no landing gear and the nose all faired in and folding prop we have gotten 4 hrs on one battery.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:51 PM
groundstrike

oops! I seem to have run into a mental roadblock. can anyone tell me which way the sideways thrust is supposed to go? plans have it pointed left if you follow the directions in the book (fuselage on plans upside down) but I've made it right pointing thrust. also, is five degrees enough? someone posted that they used ten degrees down thrust (quigleywins, I think) but that seems like way too much. this plane will be electric, likely with a .25 equivalent e-motor. haven't put the firewall on yet because I'm wondering about thrust angles. HELP!!!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 AM
rcboone2000

I built mine with a 30 size electric I have 2 degrees down and 0 degrees left and right.It flyer great with power and without any elevator trim change
Old 10-08-2015, 03:16 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defense of 10 degrees

someone posted that they used ten degrees down thrust (quigleywins, I think) but that seems like way too much Quote from Groundstrike.

Hi groundstrike hope all is going well with your build. I intend to put some photos of the major rebuild of my butterfly I hope you can see what I have changed. ! the length my butterfly's have around 2 inches added on the kits I add the extra length then re inforce it with light ply back to where the wings leading edge is F2 I think.. Every one I've built needed lead in the nose hence the added nose length. As to the extra down thrust (second photo ) I could never stop them from climbing so on the first one I did I mounted the motor on a V wedge I also used long engine mounts to get the motor out just a little more. The photos AS this model is a rebuild I cut the new Fuselage with the new shape. It is up against a new straight out of the new box one , just for you . I think you are able to see my mods Yours Paul T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (718x800).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	2124376   Click image for larger version

Name:	005 (800x533).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	2124377  

Last edited by Quigleywins; 10-08-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:04 AM
groundstrike

It is up against a new straight out of the new box one , just for you . I think you are able to see my mods Yours Paul T[/QUOTE]

thanks, Paul! and you too, Boone! still haven't glued the firewall on; Paul your downthrust shows but did you keep standard sideways thrust? and which way is it supposed to go, really? the instructions say place the fuse upside down on the plan to get side thrust but that would put it pointing left. most models i've seen use right thrust, don't they? right now i've cut the fuse for 5 degrees down and 5 right thrust, but can still change it if need be.

good idea with the extra ply on the front! maybe i should reinforce mine just in case. still trying to decide on colors and covering. will try to post some pics when i get back in to the shop. wings are done, stab, elevator, and rudder are ready to go. chomping at the bit to finish!

thanks, pete
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 AM
Quigleywins

Default Thrust angle

I will need to look at the plan again but I think I would go with Zero if in doubt then pack one side of your engine mount . if required. I do need to get back to the repair as its one of so many that I love and just need to finish off Put some photos in also. I have a piece of cake just ready to go needs about a day to get the controls fitted. Yours Paul T
Old 10-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Quigleywins

Groundstrike I saw that you were new to the forums so I sent you a PM you may not have seen the Notification at the top of the page. yours Paul T
Old 10-10-2015, 04:15 PM
DGrant

If you read the plans closely.... you'll see a dashed line I believe.... which designates the top view from the bottom... and there's also down thrust in the firewall...... follow the plans side view for that... ... I literally sat and studied it step by step before making any major moves.. side view, top view, all views.. its all in there... .just relax and enjoy it.....this is an excellent designed model..

READ the book and plans closely... the truth is in there.... but to answer the question... As you look at the plane from the top, the engine has right thrust. If the plane is built to plans, it will fly like this forever......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY6otW4bTOw

Last edited by DGrant; 10-10-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:38 PM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Its good to see this thread still active. I just pulled mine out to install an Eflite power 32 brushless motor and a 5000mah 3s lipo. That is what it takes to ballance it out with no firewall mods. I had the butterfly out 2 years ago and it was a handfull to fly, got her down in one piece and checked cog. was way tail heavy. after thinking about it for a while, I remembered that I had about 1 1/2 inch added to the nose with the power 15 and a 3200 3s and it flew just fine about 5 years ago. But after a move, the addition to the nose had broken clean off so when I installed the 15 back on her 2 years ago, thats why it was tail heavy. I hope to have her in the sky again this weekend. Oh, and I have my dx8 setup with an altimeter in the butterfly!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:04 PM
DGrant

Very cool..... I'm curious as to altitude on these planes when they're "spec" high... you know where they spec out.. ha. I'm betting well over 1000ft easy. I'd even venture a guess at 1500+.

My flying buddy has an altimeter on his sport plane(Futaba radio)... and he set the notification feature at 400'(which we know we're supposed to fly at, at our club field)... and I'm telling you, 400' is nothin... I was surprised at how low 400' is... no way no how can or will I stay at or under 400'.. that just doesn't look like fun...

So... I'm betting you can get 1500 out of it... Just don't loose sight... get a spotter with binoculars if possible... put your phone number in your plane just in case.. haha... and let us know how high you get that thing.... and welcome back to your thread.... its been good.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Quigleywins

D Grant I have had mine at 1 KM as per the GPS Hitec that is 3280.84 ft there is not much to look at at that height.Only on clear days as once behind a cloud they are gorn
Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 AM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Paul, I don't think I would be able to see it that high up. lol. 1500ft will probably be my limit. I could have one of my sons to spot me! My next adventure will be to install a gopro cam on the butterfly. just haven't figured out how or where to mount it without messing up the cog and covering. I guess I could make a new hood/hatch and mount it there, but that may take a prop strike from the 14" folding prop!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:41 PM
DGrant

Originally Posted by Quigleywins
D Grant I have had mine at 1 KM as per the GPS Hitec that is 3280.84 ft there is not much to look at at that height.Only on clear days as once behind a cloud they are gorn
No kidding!! Wow, that's very cool. I honestly don't know if I could see it at 3200 ft.. I could imagine binoculars.. and/or some sort of visual enhancement.. hmm.. Let me ask what kind of radio equipment are you running?... as 3300 ft rings in my mind as max.range..

I'm kind of curious too with the available telemetry devices out there... Very tempting to look into. Maybe sometime though... I haven't flown my Butterfly for a while now, but its only a charging away from being able to fly... They are very simple and reliable.

I'm even wondering about a camera boom just for a little video fun. I've got a great little Kodak digital.. My concern though since I fly glow is fuel/oil, as there is some of that usually swirling around the plane in flight.... I wouldn't want to screw my camera up... I might ponder something though.. that might be fun and easy, and different sometime.

Have a nice afternoon.. congrats on your 3280 ft flight... with eyesight like you have.... you should be flying full scale jets.. (maybe you do.. )..
Old 11-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Quigleywins

DGrant eyes are good, if you look at ground level you can see many things at that distance eg when you are driving past a known flying field I can easly see the aircraft in the sky they might only several hundred feet in the sky but you are still I km from the field once your eyes are in focus at that distance . Of intrest I often look for Planets in the day light ,they are not easy to find but I have achieved this several times. the method I use is to look at the night sky and watch the moon when the planet is close then in the night sky find the moon and look to where the planet should be.Its not easy but can be achieved . and also pick the brightest planet

As to the gear I use hitec aurora 9 with the tele the reason I have the tele is I lost one butterfly for 3 weeks with a band new OS 20 FS that was something that was not going to happen again. I even had a mate fly over the area looking for it with no luck.
As to my eyes I have just started to use glasses to read the news paper,they are a better set than the usual for a 68 year old.
When I went to that height it was straight up and then straight down and the transmitter was set to above take off point not sea level
as to range never had a range problem even when it was lost it still showed the receiver voltage on the transmitter . Jets to fast and expensive and I'm not that good a flyer yours Paul T
Old 11-03-2015, 04:21 PM
DGrant

I can imagine binoculars.. one hand holding/tracking with binoculars, the other hand/fingers simply cruising the plane around.. easy enough.. I'm still wondering about range though.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am flying my Butterfly with a Thunder Tiger 18 and a 9X4 prop. I used an engine mount for a rear intake engine so I could push the engine way forward to get it to balance. I have had the Butterfly so high that it was very hard to see and it scared me that I was not going to get it back. That's all it took, so I don't let it get that high any more. I have no idea how high I was but it was hard to see that big wing. I have only landed once under power. I normally fly until I'm out of fuel and then glide it down. It can take 7 to 10 minutes to get the plane back on the ground once the engine quits. It's a great plane fly from a lawn chair with a cold drink next to you.

Also, I would recommend replacing that heavy wing jointing rod with a carbon fiber rod.

Pete
Old 11-22-2015, 11:57 AM
groundstrike

carbon fiber arrow shaft, maybe? got a few of those around.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by groundstrike
carbon fiber arrow shaft, maybe? got a few of those around.
I did that with mine some decades ago. Built a one piece wing and it worked out very well as a spar carry-through.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:18 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the carbon fiber shaft from a place on the web the sold parts for high end kites. The weight difference is significant. So far I have not had a problem with the carbon fiber shaft replacing the steel wing jointer.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Quigleywins

Nothing like posting on an old thread to see if all your friends made so long back,are still around. In the last few weeks I have been back on the rebuild with mods As in the past I have used OS 26 and OS 20 now I have installed an OS 3820. the wings are covered and all wood work is so close to finished. This week end should see it flying photo is a week old.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3517 (800x745).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	519.2 KB
ID:	2179567  
Old 09-04-2016, 03:24 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quigleywins
Nothing like posting on an old thread to see if all your friends made so long back,are still around. In the last few weeks I have been back on the rebuild with mods As in the past I have used OS 26 and OS 20 now I have installed an OS 3820. the wings are covered and all wood work is so close to finished. This week end should see it flying photo is a week old.
That's looking quite sky-worthy! Should be very visible too.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:47 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Quigleywins! Looking forward to some flight shots and a performance report.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:29 AM
sandal

Quigleywins,

what a coincidence! A couple of days ago I was in my shed throwing away some old rubbish, and I saw the Butterfly on the building table - untouched for at least three years. I decided to start building again - but as you may know - it will take a while. I hope to get it in the air some day, and I know that determination is the only thing required. I have built quite a few planes before, and flying a kit-built plane for the first time is something special.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.