Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dynaflite Butterfly build

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dynaflite Butterfly build

Glad to hear you are having fun with the Bfly. I havent flown my since last year. I really didnt like the .25fx on it. Way too much power, and that engine does not like to idle for long periods of time. So I am going to convert to electric. Im also going to make it my AP machine. I have an older Olympus 8 megapixle cam to try on her. So the OS .25fx is up for sale. Its only had 2 tanks of fuel run through it, still like new. Great power for a small engine.

This is what I have been up to, put a hobbyzone super cub together for a friend, from new parts. Been trying to get my yungest out to the field each weekend to train on his Alpha 60 but its been windy here for the last 3 weekends. And slowly coming along with the Cake. Hope to have the Cake done in a week and a half! or sooner.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 AM
ejam

Well tonight I removed 15.5oz off the butterfly. That is the os .25,mount,spinner,prop,and fuel tank. I did a weight before weight loss, it was 4lb 2.5oz. I know how I can get rid of some tail weight, replace the rudder, and elev. control rods with something lighter. I cant remember the weight that the manual stated, but I would like to get it at 3.5lb auw after the elec. conversion. Do you think it can be done?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earl its great to see you on the old thread. whats the weight of the battery and motor and can you put it out on a engine mount away from the fire wall. I put the butterfly up a tree 35 feet from the ground. I'm in the process of rebuilding the tail feathers. Im yet to build the extra down thrust into my engine. Yours Paul T
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

The OS15 is a perfect match power-wise. If you can still find one, it works out extremely well.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
ejam

Quigleywins,
The E-flite power 15, E-flite 3200mah 11.1v lipo, and 40amp pro esc is 18oz. Thats alittle more than what I took out, but I still have the throttle servo, throttle controll rod, and the extra wood that was used to raise the fuel tank. I may even look into using the power 10 and a 2500mah lipo. That combo comes in at 13oz still using the 40amp esc.

I will have to pull the elev. and rudder controll rods and weight them to see how much I can save there. I may even pull the covering off the sides of fuse and sand the holes out larger and cut holes in top and bottom of fuse. I really want this to be a very slow flyer. The more I take off the tail means I can go with the power 10 combo.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Quigleywins

Earl My butterfly has had so many hits now that its a fix and fly model You would'nt approve but the tail is now solid balsa, that the quickest way to get it back in the air. The OS 20 FP is being replaced with an OS 26 FS next week when it arrives. I will build a new wing with flaps etc. I have lost the plain its some where I'm just not looking in the right place. I will go through al the boxes that I have again,it's got to be some where. the weater is now cold but with little wind most days . I hope its good flying weather your way Your Old Mate _Paul T
Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 AM
ejam

Quigleywins, The weather here has been terrible for flying. I am having withdraw simptoms. I have stalled on the cake build, mainly due to brainstorming on ideas to cut the weight down without lossing strength. I know that in the butterfly I should be able to remove some weight by taking out the tail controll rods and using carbon fiber rods, might do the same with the cake.
Even If I had finished the cake a month or 2 ago, we have had maybe one day with less than 5mph winds.
That 26 should do just fine. I hear that the 4stroke will idle better for longer, than the 2strokes. I put my 25fx on ebay to help fund the electric motor.

I can see it now, flying my butterfly in a park with it being electric. People will just be amazed at that large wing!

Well I am glad that you are getting use out of your butterfly, even if you do have to make repairs, your flying and learning! I am tired of that 4 letter word that I have to do each day, you know, WORK. lol Im playing the lottery, so if I win, I can fly more. lol Heck, if I win, I'll come down there and fly with you! Well I can dream cant I!

Take care friend and have fun!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Quigleywins

Our place is only 3/4 of an hour from the air port all the air craft are still real low as they pass by. So there is no problem picking you up, what times the flight get in to Melbourne. Yours Paul T
Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM
ejam

Well I didnt win yesterdays, but there is tomorrow mega million! Throw some steak and shrimp on the barbie! lol

I have all of the electrics and engine out of the butterfly. Doing the prep work for the brushless motor. I also started the covering of the fuse for the cake! We have a picnic this weekend at our club and hope to have the cake to take.lol
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM
liftdump

Hey guys, glad to see your still going at it. I plan to get my butterfly back out for the summer to teach my son on. He's not interested in heli's [&:]

I kinda wish I made it electric. .25fx is to much power. I think the OS Surpass .30 would be a perfect choice as well.

Have a good night. Hope your weather is enjoyable now Paul. Almost too hot here in the day to do any flying now!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Quigleywins

Hi liftdump its a 26 not a 30 but whats 4 between friends. The weather is so good for flying but so much to do I only think of Sunday as the flying day. I was married last saturday but still went flying sunday aftrenoon one flight with the butterfly but that good did it all on my own ,the take off and landing. I then played around with the carby and broke the fuel intake ,I will fix that Wednesday,not a big job. The glide after the motor cut was around 6 minutes not bad after a 20 or so flight with the motor. I'm more relaxed now and just flying to gain the hours and experience.I'm not ready for the next step to a different style of aircraft. I will put some photos on in a minute or so ,one just for your kids. stay tuned. Yours Paul T
Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Quigleywins

We have two liters of Golden Retrievers . Jenny looking better than ever. And The newly weds .I just can't see what she see's in me, it must be all the models I have .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29171.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	1438324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86823.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	1438325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88530.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1438326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84271.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1438327  
Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 PM
ejam

Just an update on the butterfly. I have the motor and esc coming in next week. I will take pictures after the motor is installed.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM
liftdump

Very nice picture Quigly! Congrats

ejam, looking forward to the pics!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
ejam

Hey liftdump,
Good to hear from you. Im just about finished with my Piece O Cake. My parts for the Butterfly should be here Monday. I should have it done in one night. Just have to figure out the wieght issues. The 3s 3200mah lipo all the way up front may be the ticket. So far, it looks like I have shaved 10oz off of the Butterfly. It was at a porky 66.5oz before the electric conversion.
When the conversion is done, I will explain what was taken out, and what lighter items were put in.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Quigleywins

Earl and Lift dump its a bit like old times. Well the butterfly went flying at the week end and the winds were at 22 km/h which resultet in a rough landing which knocked the front block of in front of the wing. The other mod that is now been added is the OS 26 FS with a solid block giving a lot of down thrust on the engine. It will be ready to fly again this week end if I get a chance.Hope all is well on that side of the world. yours Paul T
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 PM
ejam

Hey guys,
Im hope to have both the Butterfly and Cake at the field this weekend. The butterfly is coming along. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 AM
Quigleywins

Well the butterfly went up with the OS 26 FS it was great had about 2 hours in total in the air around 9 flights. great afternoon. Yours Paul T
Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Paul thats the same setup I have on my Butterfly.The OS 26 fs is a great little engine.On 3 oz of fuel I can stay up for almost an hour.

bottom line Have Fun!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM
liftdump

you guys are killing me w the four stroke!!!! thats gotta be the perfect engine for the butterfly, weight and all.......

took my son out last week, got him his first three flights on the BF. He did well -just practiced flying big squares and holding her steady fighting all of the thermals that were hitting the wings. great lift day.

did not land with power on one time, we would just run it out of gas and then glide it in!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:36 AM
Quigleywins

Liftdump You are so right,I'v had the OS15,theOS20 and now the OS26fs in my butterfly and I like the 26 best.I must admit that the 26 had the best run because the down thrust on the engine was about right when it was installed. If any body reads this who is building one they should build about 10 deg in to save a lot of problems on the flying field. Any way I had a great day. Yours Paul T
Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 AM
H5487

10 deg downthrust seems like a lot. Why is so much needed?

Also, I'd like to get back to the spoiler issue. Are they really needed or are they just nice to have?

Harvey
Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Quigleywins

H5487 10 deg did the job for me,later in the day I will post a photo to show that I'm not joking This is what goes on with out it. With the standard os15 ,in my opinion the b'fly has an effort to clear the ground on its first flight as you give a little up and it will stall, its very responsive to the evelator with a little extra power as with the 20 or 26 that I'v used it will clime. Now the problem with the smaller power plants the speed is not much of a problem however with bigger motors the faster you go the lift of the wing increases by the power of 4 for example if the B'fly is flying at 20 mph the wing will produce say 8oz of lift ,if you then go twice the speed the lift will increase 4 fold 256oz of lift now that b'flu will need heaps of down to hold it level or down thrust to compensate the lift. If this explation is a little off I'm sure some one will correct me (and there welcome) Also if I was to re build the butterfly I would never put spoilers in as it lands at walking speed (how slow do you want to go), I never land with the motor running. I also would give the elevators less area adding what was taken away to the tail plane , Yours Paul T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35883.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1453116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50775.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1453117  
Old 06-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Quigleywins

Do you ever get over flying the butterfly, more hours on it again today. For any body that needs one there is one on Ebay with no international shiping so I'm out of the race.This thread needs a few more builders of this fab kit, so if you have one on the building boards lets hear and see some photos. I know that liftdump and ejam are keen to hear from builders and watch there progress as well. yours Paul T

Monday, July 20, 2009
Last fall, Patrick Winters was flying his Dynaflite Butterfly with Jack Dubuque, Dave Schmeder, and Richard Wyatt. They started chatting about how cool it would be to have a bigger version of this powered glider. One thing led to another, and before they knew it, they had the plans enlarged 200% and the planning was underway. These four knuckleheads met regularly through the winter to tackle this enormous project. As you can imagine, they had lots of laughs, and Bonita Schmeder kept them supplied with snacks and homemade cookies!

Building began on December 28, 2008 and the successful maiden flight was on July 3, 2009. What fun!!!

Specifications:
Wingspan: 198 inches (16.5 feet)
Fuselage length: 98 inches (8 feet)
Weight: 28 pounds
Labor: 513 man-hours
Cost (value of materials): $1,043.79
Power: Saito 1.50 4-stroke
Servos: 9 (one standard on throttle, all others high-torque)
Hatches: 9
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Quigleywins

Well I must be the only kid on the block playing with butterflys. (The last three posts by me) I was about to rebuild my old butterfly withone one two alterations when I came across a photo on line of a few lads that had made a butterfly twice the size. now that is no small aircraft with a wing span of 198 inches. Now this is to large for me but maybe 150% giving a wing span of 148 inches might be great powered with a 75 2 stroke or such. Is there any body out there that has seen this over size butterfly in the air. I will post this and see if I can drag the article up hear Yours Paul T

hope you all see what I did I but the article on the post above

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.