Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lanier RC still around?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lanier RC still around?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:04 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier RC still around?

Does anyone know if Lanier RC is still around?

I'm looking for a Stinger...haven't seen them in the hobby shop for a long time now. I see Tower Hobbies has a Dart as an ARF...but am wondering about the others.

Is the Stinger a relic nowadays?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Lanier RC still around?

Yes....

and No....

http://www.greatplanes.com/goldberg-lanierrc.html
Old 08-04-2009, 03:27 PM
ArcticCatRider

Wow. I wonder if those kits will go into production...or if GP will just bury the blue prints.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances of seeing any of the kits are slim. Beats me why GP would buy them out to shut down their product line, but it looks like that is what they did.

Don
Old 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Campgems

Chances of seeing any of the kits are slim. Beats me why GP would buy them out to shut down their product line, but it looks like that is what they did.

Don
Simple. To kill the competition. Hobbico owns practically all of it.

I have my doubts if we'll ever see any of those kits again. It sorta pisses me off. Lanier made great kits. Sure, they were mostly older designs and heavy by todays standards. But a kit built Lanier thats done right will last many many years of flying. Now Hobbico owns the rights and will probably never reintroduce those kits. And they did it for greed. Not because they had plans to redesign the kits to make them lighter or to make them fit in smaller boxes. Not because they are interested in making kits for todays modeler.

Nope. They did it for greed.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Its called reducing the competition. Great Planes has been doing this for awhile, buy them, shut them down, sell all inventory then they are gone. Just check the GP site and see all the discontinued planes. Makes me want to not buy from them. I avoid them if I can because of this practice of shutting down long time names in the R/C Industry. They are fast going to have a monopoly on the R/C industry because of the slow economic times. The sad part is most the ones they are shutting down are american made, and all they do is import from china !!!

Vince
Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: vpresley

Its called reducing the competition. Great Planes has been doing this for awhile, buy them, shut them down, sell all inventory then they are gone. Just check the GP site and see all the discontinued planes. Makes me want to not buy from them. I avoid them if I can because of this practice of shutting down long time names in the R/C Industry. They are fast going to have a monopoly on the R/C industry because of the slow economic times. The sad part is most the ones they are shutting down are american made, and all they do is import from china !!!

Vince
When GP bought them both out and everyone had high hopes about seeing these kits updated and manufactured again, anyone in the know knew they were dead meat. God forbid there should be more then one Extra kit out there and it isn't a GP!! If you missed the big sell off then you lost out. If you had deep pockets that was one outstanding sale though!!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Campgems

I've got two of their kits now, a 1/4 scale Laser 2000 that NIB that Igot at the fire sale, and a 33% Laser 2000 that I reduced back to a semi kit in order to build it up lighter and right. The plans for those two are good enough to build from and in the case of the 33%, there is nothing other than the foam wing core that should be a problem fora builder. It's about as straight forward and easy as it gets. My 33% has a ton of plastic, most of it heavy. I'm going to replace the turtle deckand wing cover. Maybe even the cowl. Youcan still get aftermarketparts for the kits.Finding a set of plans may be almost as goodas the kits.They didn't include hardware anyway.

Don
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

I'm more peaved at the original owners of those companies for selling in the first place. The problem is those companies were in danger of going out of business anyway. The large production kit business is NOT lucrative and those companies were not able to successfully make the transition to ARFs or something else to supplement their income. Some of them gave it a good try but couldn't do it.

If they were in a good position they never would have sold out to begin with. If you really want a Stinger its not like they were some complicated design. You could draw one up from memory and it'd probably fly as good. If you think the design would sell enough to be profitable then change the shape of the rudder and elevators and call it a "Stingerella" or some such. GP does not hold the rights to the entire model airplane industry.

Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Geeze, what a bunch of pessimists!

These companies were going under, so GP bought them to try and SAVE them, not to shut them down!

Here's how it works:

Company "A" has 5 really fantastic planes in their lineup and 10 that are good planes, but not selling very well.

This company is going out of business - so NONE of these planes will be available again. Kiss them good-bye forever!

Company "B" steps in and buys what's left of Company "A". They sell off what's left of the dead stock cheap and continue to produce only the top sellers.

Look at Goldberg - You can still get their Cub, Tiger, Ultimate, Chipmunk, Falcon, Eagle. etc. (All in ARF AND KIT )
Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Geeze, what a bunch of pessimists!

These companies were going under, so GP bought them to try and SAVE them, not to shut them down!

Here's how it works:

Company ''A'' has 5 really fantastic planes in their lineup and 10 that are good planes, but not selling very well.

This company is going out of business - so NONE of these planes will be available again. Kiss them good-bye forever!

Company ''B'' steps in and buys what's left of Company ''A''. They sell off what's left of the dead stock cheap and continue to produce only the top sellers.

Look at Goldberg - You can still get their Cub, Tiger, Ultimate, Chipmunk, Falcon, Eagle. etc. (All in ARF AND KIT )
Yup. Don't forget, first Lanier bought Goldberg.

To get the Goldberg product, GP had to buy Lanier. Then they just had that firesale and unloaded a bunch of product that wasn't selling otherwise.

Amazes me how people complain about disappearing kitmakers, then when SkyShark offers to run off a batch of kits, nobody steps up. I ordered 3, and got a message back a month later, they didn't get enough orders for any one run. Finally, just recently, I obtained a SkyShark '109 from a friend.

I picked up a few Lanier boxes on that firesale, too... I'll be building into my dotage!
Dave Olson
Old 08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was a little payback too. Carl Goldberg had a falling out with Hobby Co and Tower and said he was not going to sell his planes through them, and everything was fine while he was alive. My opinion is Lanier aquired Goldberg so they could sell out to Hobby co and needed a carrot. It all happened in about a year. I think CG would have burned the factory down before letting this happen if he were alive.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please note that Lanier, including Carl Goldberg Models, was acquired by Great Planes/Hobbico in August, 2007. Carl Goldberg, himself, passed away in January, 1985, more than two decades previously. There never was any "bad blood" between the two companies. Carl Goldberg models never stopped being sold through our company.

An examination of our history will show that NONE of the brands we have acquired have "disappeared". They have all been re-energized and continued. Each one has its own identity. As far as model airplane kits are concerned, they get discontinued because modelers no longer purchase them. Nobody's going to manufacture something people won't buy. Successful products do not get discontinued.
The following users liked this post:
rick505 (06-14-2020)
Old 08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Bax

Please note that Lanier, including Carl Goldberg Models, was acquired by Great Planes/Hobbico in August, 2007. Carl Goldberg, himself, passed away in January, 1985, more than two decades previously. There never was any ''bad blood'' between the two companies. Carl Goldberg models never stopped being sold through our company.

An examination of our history will show that NONE of the brands we have acquired have ''disappeared''. They have all been re-energized and continued. Each one has its own identity. As far as model airplane kits are concerned, they get discontinued because modelers no longer purchase them. Nobody's going to manufacture something people won't buy. Successful products do not get discontinued.

Well said Bill, thanks for stepping in. Maybe the "pile-on" will stop .
Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
ArcticCatRider

ORIGINAL: Bax

Please note that Lanier, including Carl Goldberg Models, was acquired by Great Planes/Hobbico in August, 2007. Carl Goldberg, himself, passed away in January, 1985, more than two decades previously. There never was any ''bad blood'' between the two companies. Carl Goldberg models never stopped being sold through our company.

An examination of our history will show that NONE of the brands we have acquired have ''disappeared''. They have all been re-energized and continued. Each one has its own identity. As far as model airplane kits are concerned, they get discontinued because modelers no longer purchase them. Nobody's going to manufacture something people won't buy. Successful products do not get discontinued.
Was Lanier as a "brand" not successful enough to continue to grow and innovate? Does all of the R&D, marketing, and dollars go towards the Great Planes brand?

It often times seems that small changes..cosmetically or otherwise....will be enough to "refresh" a tired product, or brand itself. This is true with most consumer goods.

I guess I can see a few model airplane kits being out of fashion...but I always thought Lanier had a decent line up.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
ArcticCatRider

ORIGINAL: bolar

Well said Bill, thanks for stepping in. Maybe the ''pile-on'' will stop .
I think there's some merit to some of the posts. While calling it greed may be somewhat out there....I'm sure that there's a degree of favoritism within the company, just like any other company.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I'm sorry Bax, but your answer is loaded.

I haven't spoken to one Carl Goldberg Extra owner that doesn't lament the buy out. The CG Extra is SUPERIOR to the GP kit. Great planes doesn't want that competition. That is where it is.

If Goldberg could have offered this kit in the numbers that GP offers theirs, and you go by the numbers, hands down, GP should pull their Extra off the market hanging their head in shame.

But- I don't want that to happen. Competition makes things better. Because of GP, we understood how to correct the problems with the Goldberg kit.

Should the Goldberg kit be re-introduced, with the landing gear and fuse doubler upgrades, one can only imagine how sales would increase.

But your answer is that kits don't sell. So I guess I just need to bend over and take it like a man!

(Yes- I realize this was an emotionally charged rant and I do not apologize for it.)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
MinnFlyer

But think about that Brian, that would entail a re-design and new tooling, not to mention re-writing the manual - or at the very least creating an addendum which means shooting pictures and doing a layout and writing copy. Plus there is packaging to consider. They don't just throw this stuff in a box, someone has to plan what-goes-where.

All of this just to re-introduce a kit that many feel is too heavy to begin with.

But I will say this: If a lot of people feel strongly enough about it, start a thread and see how much support there is. We did it with the Ultra Sport and Great Planes listened.

If you get enough interest, maybe they WILL reissue it (Probably in its original form, but as long as you know the mods you want to make, you can always make them yourself)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
vpresley

I have to agree with Ilikebipes. Goldberg kits were superior to GP kits. But Goldberg disappeared and GP is still here with their inferrior kit. Heck you can rename the GB kit to GP, at least the better kit would still be in production. As we all know GP can spin it it anyway they want, but at least keep the better quality kit going.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
MinnFlyer

I gotta disagree there too. While I don't think there is a single dog in the Goldberg line up (and I have built and flown most of them) I like GPs building techniques MUCH better.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

I understand what you said Mike, but Bax has already lamented over the re-issue of the Ultra Sports-etc. in another thread. It was great for the first short period of time, but no one is buying them anymore (according to Bax). That is why they won't keep them. That last re-issue was a test that showed them there aren't as many people who want to build (and I say that with respect to those that enjoy assembling arfs- not disrespect because I think that arfs are ok). That comment showed me they were all but done listening to the builder.

I hope somebody can convince Hobbico to work with us. The experience of the last re-issues gave me a lot of hope. But comments from Bax since then give a very dark future.

Incidently, I know my comments are harsh, and I am hopeful Hobbico will see them as an opportunity to hear my frustration rather than write them off because I'm frustrated.

So the question is, how can we fix this and make it profitable for Hobbico, but acceptable to people like myself as well- Realizing it is impossible to please everyone.

Seeing Mike's new post, I have to say, I'm building a Goldberg kit right now. I like how it is going together. But you are right. The kit could be fixed, and I think GP could make things even better- relating only to the fuselage. But the airplane flies better than the GP kit.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
ArcticCatRider

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

I understand what you said Mike, but Bax has already lamented over the re-issue of the Ultra Sports-etc. in another thread. It was great for the first short period of time, but no one is buying them anymore (according to Bax). That is why they won't keep them. That last re-issue was a test that showed them there aren't as many people who want to build (and I say that with respect to those that enjoy assembling arfs- not disrespect because I think that arfs are ok). That comment showed me they were all but done listening to the builder.

I hope somebody can convince Hobbico to work with us. The experience of the last re-issues gave me a lot of hope. But comments from Bax since then give a very dark future.

Incidently, I know my comments are harsh, and I am hopeful Hobbico will see them as an opportunity to hear my frustration rather than write them off because I'm frustrated.

So the question is, how can we fix this and make it profitable for Hobbico, but acceptable to people like myself as well- Realizing it is impossible to please everyone.

Seeing Mike's new post, I have to say, I'm building a Goldberg kit right now. I like how it is going together. But you are right. The kit could be fixed, and I think GP could make things even better- relating only to the fuselage. But the airplane flies better than the GP kit.
I've built 3 Goldberg Ultimate 10-300s. Sometime in the late 90's or early 2000s they switched the cowl and wheel pants from ABS plastic, to fiberglass. I wonder if that was after Lanier acquired the brand??

I've built the Goldberg Cub, Electra, and Super Chipmunk.....I think they're the best kits I've ever built. GP's Ugly Stik, and Ultra Sport were also great kits I've made. I still think the "classic" Goldberg lineup is totally legendary.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: ArcticCatRider

I still think the "classic" Goldberg lineup is totally legendary.
I totally agree. Their Tiger, Cub, Chippy and Ultimate are the best in the business (Not to mention the Eagle, Flacon, Protege, Etc)
Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
vpresley

Dont forgt the CG Bucker Jungman ! On Ebay they go for $225.00 plus when they are listed, most times more. I picked one up for less, right time right place dont you know. The Bucker was a nice plane.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM
ArcticCatRider

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I totally agree. Their Tiger, Cub, Chippy and Ultimate are the best in the business (Not to mention the Eagle, Flacon, Protege, Etc)
I forgot to mention the control line models too!!

I started model airplanes at age 8....Guillow rubber band free flight jobs, followed up by none other than .049 Carl Goldberg Ukies. All the way to the .35 sized Shoe -String stunter. I always thought the built up fuselages on the 1/2A ukies were as cool as it gets.

VPreseley....you aren't kidding about the Bucker Jungman!! I lost an ebay auction about 6 months ago on that. It was a complete kit...except for the canopy. I think it was over $300 by the time all was said and done. What a cool plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.