Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

smoke system questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

smoke system questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke system questions

I'm putting a Sullivan "Skywriter" system in my "60 size" Chipmonk. I have a couple of questions; #1, would it be best to put the"smoke fuel tank" in frount of the CG (it's a 6oz. tank) with the smoke system behind or the other way around? Not room to do a side by side install.. #2 When I "rebalance" the plane, should it be balanced with a full tank of oil or empty. #3 The inst. are kinda unclear on the battery for this unit this is what the inst. says (exactly) Use 4.8V to 12V (6.0V or more recommended.) Do they mean a regular battery pack like I use for my RX ? Or will a 9V square battery be OK? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: smoke system questions

Depending on what engine you are going to use, I found that you would have to build or get some type of heat exchange unit ( Don't know where to buy one ) for most glow engines in order for it to work.

I tried it on my Extra and my exhaust was just not hot enough for it to work no matter how I had the smoke oil flow in it, and I tried it on a O.S. .91FX Ringed. It pissed me off because no one mentioned it wouldn't work. [:@] More money waisted, Oh well.

I had my tank just behind my glow tank, and my 6v battery and electric pump below my engine mount on the fire wall.

Balance your plane ALWAYS with empty tanks!

I took all my stuff out of the Extra 260 and put it away until I buy myself a 1.20 or bigger engine. Then my exhaust should be hot enough.

Good Luck.