Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting Ultrakote

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting Ultrakote

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Ultrakote

I am considering painting my trim scheme over Ultrakote. I have done this with Monokote with good results but never with Ultrakote. Does anyone have any info that might help.?? Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Painting Ultrakote

Pretty much the same as MK as far as painting goes
Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scuff the Ultracote with a Scotchbrite just enough to make the suface appear flat. Shoot away, no issues and it'll stick. This hatch was covered in Ultrakote and the canopy trim paint did not match. I masked the entire canopy off and shot the piece as mentioned with Dupont Chroma Base and recleared. Here's a before and after...Do your trim area's the same way, mask it off and scuff it up and shoot it. I think any aerosol type paints would work out well also with the exception of something like a latex base uncleared.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37305.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1254380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62096.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1254381  
Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 PM
jmohn

I just do a wipe down with rubbing alcohol before I paint it and it stays on for ever.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 PM
huck1199

Krylon Fusion works well and seems to be fuel proof. I tested it on a ABS cowl as well and it seemed to resit 15% nitro when cured.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM
demps

Here goes, my first post. I need help. I'm finishing an old Aeroworks 25% Edge 540. Painting has never been my forte. I've covered it with Ultacoat. I've done all the design layout with the Ultracoat accept the cowl and the wheel pants. So here are my problems: 1. how to find paint that matches and is feulproof, 2.how to make patterns that are curved, smooth and symmetrical, 3. how do I transfer the pattern to the cowl or any part of the plane whether it be ultracoat or paint, 3. how do I apply fine edge masking tape so paint won't leak under it, 5. if paint does leak under the masking tape, how do I fix it?????