Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Strut brackets and covering HELP!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Strut brackets and covering HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:49 PM
FASTBUICK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut brackets and covering HELP!!!!

Hey Guy's

I just about final sanded my Ed Whytes Piper Pawnee and wondering how you guy's cover the wings with strut brackets sticking above the surface of the wing? Yes they are glued in and can't come out without destroying things My question is I will be covering it with white fabric covering and should I just slowly come up to the bracket and then make a slight cut enough to slip the bracket through then keep going? I have 3 of these on each wing 2 near the spar area and one near the trailing edge. I made them out of brass and they stick up about 3/8 above the wing surface. The brackets are .062 thick and 3/8 wide not to big. When I cover Sailplanes I cover from the leading edge to the trailing edge starting from the center out. I iron down a little at a time going from center to one side then back the other way. I do about 1 1/2 to 2" x 3"area then slide to over and seal that area down then slide over again. Now should I just seal around the perimeter and try the way where you seal the perimeter and then use a heatgun to shrink it up then? ( I have never tried this way) I was thinking this way will help find exactly where to make cuts? I am going to make sure there is plenty of contact area around each bracket so there is something to stick to when it gets shrunk. This is my first big dilema and question on this board and hope it isn't a dumn one hehehe. First time I have ran into this problem and maybe I will have to learn a new way of covering my models hehehe.
Thanks Jerry
Old 06-26-2003, 07:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do it exactly as you described Jerry. Cut slits, slid the covering over the slits. Tack down around the slits, and the perimiter of the wing, then shrink with a heat gun. Once it's all shrunk, go over the ribs, sheeting etc. with your iron again.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:37 PM
FASTBUICK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice will see how it goes this weekend I hope If you hear a whole bunch of cussing that was me headed back down to the hobby shop for more covering hehehe.
Thanks Jerry