Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Ultimate Build 60 size by twn

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Ultimate Build 60 size by twn

Old 01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate Build 60 size by twn

Revy, I used a Gp adjustable mount on mine. Have not had any trouble.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Revy, I used a gp 120-160 adjustable nylon mount. I cut the tips down so the cowel would fit. Overkill but it was what I had on hand...

Lester has them... Why would you need this if yer mounting a dle20?

BTW I got me one of those fancy new eflite extra 300 umx jobs!! I gotta run to Vernon the week after next to grab it an my new life batteries for the big birds... Oh and one of those JR dual tx aluminum cases... Juts throwing out the cash!

Also I tossed the fiberglass servo arms for the pilot-rc 30% yak. Lester got me some 1.5" aluminum clamp type JR servo arms. I will be mounting the dle55 next week on my days off. woohoo!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Hobby King .60-1.20 adjustable but the back interferes with the carb on the DLE 20. The CG mount looks like it could handle it as the HK one isn't that much thicker/bigger. I'll look into the GP one. Thanks guys!

Oh BTW, Tom, the custom saddle and the toothpick tricks work awesome!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 PM
twn

Dubro has an aluminum motor mount that would work well with the dle20. Lester should have them too. They are vibration dampening too...

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=DUB688

Old 01-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Revy

This is what I am going to make work. I split the back with my table saw after I epoxied it together.  It has much bigger blind nuts/bolts than the 6-32 CG mount bolts.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=GPMG1091

Exactly the same as the one I have from HK. I may explore that Dubro mount though.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 AM
twn

With the vibration of a gas engine, aluminum would be better... The vibration might break the nylon job! But I know the nylon is the cheaper way...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 AM
OntAeronut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello folks, have a couple of questions for you all about this plane. I have one completed that was given to me from a friends esate sale, to my knowledge it's been flown once or twice, but with a smaller motor so they were not happy with the flight performace. Personally, I have never seen one of these birds fly.... so I am curious.

I have noticed that everyone seems to go with extra power, now is this for 3d or do you need the extra ponies to fly this bird? How does this bird fly? How are landings? Are they fast and tricky?

My biggest question is about the upper wing attachments. does this "wire" accually hold the wing? or is this a weak point in the airframe that is just waiting to fail and send my plane to the ground like a powered lawn dart?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Revy

Eh!

Yes it will fly scale with the .60. Most want the extra power as it makes it easier to fly. A lot of folk use .91-1.20 glo motors. Some use gas in 20cc and 26cc sizes. With the DLE 20 it makes it very easy to convert over. I like my set-up with the DLE, promising #'s on the ground...stupid winter weather preventing the maiden.

As for the upper wing, the "flimsy" wire is a major concern for most and have gone with the upper wing bolt-on mod. This thread was what helped me figure this one out.

Check out the Ulti brotherhood thread....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...page_18/tm.htm
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58 AM
daveopam

You are right most of us over power these birds. I flew my first two with a SuperTigre 90. While the kit calls for a 60 the 90 is just right. Vertical is not unlimited with a 90 but it a great combo. The plane is really not 3D capable anyway. I just like the extra power.
"how does this bird fly"The GB Ult is one of the best tracking most stable planes around. Look at the popularity of it here. This kit has been off the market for years. That is a testament to how it flys. IMHO
Landings on any bipe are a little faster than a single wing plane. Just come in with about three extra clicks of power. It not really fast, About like some sport plane with a high wing loading. The good thing is these bipes, they wont snap on landing. If you get too slow it may pancake, but the wings will be level. If you have a dead stick, don't try and glide it in. Land it where it is and keep the nose down so the speed stays up.
I have read about guys having trouble with the wire for the top wing. I never have. I flew one almost 10 years and it was fine till I sold it. Maybe I am little easier on the airframe than some. Snaps and blenders are so violent with this bird, I kept them to a minimum. Just be sure you put a zip tie or rubber band on it before you fly.
Don't let this plane scare you. It will become one of your favorite planes. I don't know your flying experience, but this should be a third plane. Not a first or second.

David
Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
twn

ORIGINAL: OntAeronut

Hello folks, have a couple of questions for you all about this plane. I have one completed that was given to me from a friends esate sale, to my knowledge it's been flown once or twice, but with a smaller motor so they were not happy with the flight performace. Personally, I have never seen one of these birds fly.... so I am curious.

I have noticed that everyone seems to go with extra power, now is this for 3d or do you need the extra ponies to fly this bird? How does this bird fly? How are landings? Are they fast and tricky?

My biggest question is about the upper wing attachments. does this ''wire'' accually hold the wing? or is this a weak point in the airframe that is just waiting to fail and send my plane to the ground like a powered lawn dart?

This bird flies better with more weight in the nose, not meaning nose heavey. The 120ax is an awesome engine but I wanted more bottom end power. I think a saito 150 would be perfect. But since the 180 is almost the same price I would go with that. But I like alot of power... a ys120 is also very good. My buddy flew his ulti with a ys 140 and that was AWESOME! (certain ys engines are supercharged...)

As far as the top wing wire mod & interplane strut rib mod, the first time you try a full power blender on high rates you will see why those two mods are desired by most. This plane is capable of tearing itself apart in high g manuvers. But at the same time this plane can be gentle and very easy to fly. She lands like a champ. Every landing is easy, calm. Watch out for cross winds tho...

This bird does the fastest & most violent blenders I have ever seen!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
daveopam

"This bird does the fastest & most violent blenders I have ever seen! "

Amen to that brother.

david
Old 12-02-2015, 05:07 PM
mustangherb
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I finished my build back at the end of January, I just maidened mine Sunday. I mixed in a rid-ail-ele mix, starting with 10% on aileron and 5% up elevator. First impression is I will need to dial in more aileron for full rudder input. I would love to hear what people have ended up with when their planes are finally tuned in.