Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Giant Stinger...thoughts on finishing the kit

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Giant Stinger...thoughts on finishing the kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Stinger...thoughts on finishing the kit

I have a Giant Stinger kit that, because they are no longer in production, I want the airframe when done, to last as long as possible in terms of normal use. Anyway, I was thinking about building the turtledeck and gas tank hatch out of Balsa/ply and maybe using a fiberglass canopy/wing cover. I know a couple of people have mentioned doing these parts out of wood but I wondered if anyone would care to give some first hand experience with the kit.

I allready used a 2oz. cloth with PVC glue on the inside of the canopy/wing cover on the stock ABS piece but I am not convinced it will hold up. Plus, the ABS turtle deck has some mouse bite marks that would need to be filled (with what) so that it could be painted. I am thinking that in terms of the finish, covering a wood turtle deck would be better looking. I plan on using white Ultracote for the base color on the model.
How does covering stick to the luan/door skin sides? I thought about glueing 1/16 balsa on the ply sides to help the covering stick better plus, with the white, the dark wood prob. would show through.
Anyway, curious to insight on the kit that did not show up on the many searches I have done.

Power will be a brand new G-62 with either a Bennett muffler or If funds allow, a header and my own custom mousse can pipe swinging a 22x10. I am leaning towards a TBM and hoping that this prop will allow the 62 to get well up into the mid 7000 range to get into the sweet spot of the power. Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Giant Stinger...thoughts on finishing the kit

I have a Giant Stinger I built 10 years ago. Has the plastic wing cover, and turtle deck still on it. They have a few cracks here and there, but thru 10 years, 5 different motors and 3 different owners, I still fly it today that way. Right now it has a G-62 on it. I found that a 22x8 works much better than the 22x10, on this particular airframe. The 22x8 flys same speed as a 22x10, on the G62, but vertical is much better. Pulls much better loops too. It will only fly so fast. I originally flew it with a Sachs 4.2, no faster, just a ton more vertical. Mine is a little on the heavy side at 21lbs, but still floats in for a landing.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:25 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it the way you are thinking about .. made formers for the gas tank hatch and turtledeck, and sheeted them with 1/8 balsa. Worked perfectly, and has held up very well. I am also using a G-62 (what else on a Stinger!), and its a wonderful flying plane. Have had it 6-7 years.

Dave
Old 08-23-2009, 07:01 AM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

Look at this website for fiberglass cowls and accessories for the Stinger.

http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm
Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 AM
flygilmore

Yeah, Im aware of the site, but, don't really want to pay $120 for the parts-I think I may just do the built up stuff out of wood and use FS for the wing cover/canopy piece.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Glasair2
My Feedback: (93)

My .02, built up turtledeck and tank hatch is the way to go, I have a 16 year old Stinger 120, bought the glass for the cowl and canopy and all is still in perfect condition after allot of flying, I'm building my giant stinger now and doing it the same way, the glass is from Stan's Fibertech, lighter than Fglass specialities and fit is almost perfect, great flyers.......

m