Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

next plane

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

next plane

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
toothman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next plane

i was wondering which build was easier for somone that has never built a plane before (have done an arf). balsa usa 1/6 or 1/4 sopwith pup, great planes P-51D, or top flites's elder 40? i realy like the pup and i like the large size of the 1/4 scale, also have read that it is easy to fly. the p51 is ok but i kinda need somthin that cant take ruff terrain. the elder looks ok but im not to sold on it.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: next plane

ah...how old are you? Just curious from your post...and it may have a bearing on the advise you receive.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 PM
toothman

Old 08-31-2009, 02:22 AM
thibor

Hey,

I'm also just walking the road of kitbuilding. After building a couple of ARF's, I really wanted to build the BUSA 1/4 Sopwith Pup.
But thinking off the amount of work in building and finishing it, I really want to have it right the first time around.

So, I'm now building the Top Flite Elder as my first build, to learn the basic's. And learning is what I do!!

I know I can start the Pup next, with confidence, but also knowing I still have a lot to learn.

As with everything in live, start modest and grow as you go along.

Phil
Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 AM
squeakalong

From the three choices you give I'd agree the TF Elder would be the starting point...however the Elder takes some skill to build correctly and you have the tail-dragger aspect to consider for take-off and landings. As a long time builder and flyer, and seeing from your post you have one ARF under your belt (hopefully still flying it) I'd suggest something like the Carl Goldberg Eagle 2 kit or Tiger 2 kit, or a SIG 4-Star 40 or Mid-Star 40. Any of these offer great manuals and plans and when built nicely are very successful in the air. The SIG Mid-Star 40 has a mid-wing design that offers a bit more stability and is a ball to fly; the 4-Star 40 and Tiger 2 kits are low wing models which are more agile in the air and, therefore, require more attention when flying from the pilot. All are good r/c models. PLEASE: if you are just getting started, stay away from the P-51 (and similiar type models) until you have 3 or 4 models under your belt. They are fast and require ALOT of pilot input/attention/experience to fly. We want you to be successful and enjoy the hobby so ask all the questions you want as you build and follow a practical model design learning curve. You'll be rewarded with a very good building/flying learning curve that will allow you to fly that P-51 later with confidense.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 AM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Ditto with what squeakalong said. Go with something easy on the first build that flies well. My first kit was a P51 by dynaflite. I did get it finished and it flew it did not fly very well because of lack of experience building.
ORIGINAL: squeakalong

From the three choices you give I'd agree the TF Elder would be the starting point...however the Elder takes some skill to build correctly and you have the tail-dragger aspect to consider for take-off and landings. As a long time builder and flyer, and seeing from your post you have one ARF under your belt (hopefully still flying it) I'd suggest something like the Carl Goldberg Eagle 2 kit or Tiger 2 kit, or a SIG 4-Star 40 or Mid-Star 40. Any of these offer great manuals and plans and when built nicely are very successful in the air. The SIG Mid-Star 40 has a mid-wing design that offers a bit more stability and is a ball to fly; the 4-Star 40 and Tiger 2 kits are low wing models which are more agile in the air and, therefore, require more attention when flying from the pilot. All are good r/c models. PLEASE: if you are just getting started, stay away from the P-51 (and similiar type models) until you have 3 or 4 models under your belt. They are fast and require ALOT of pilot input/attention/experience to fly. We want you to be successful and enjoy the hobby so ask all the questions you want as you build and follow a practical model design learning curve. You'll be rewarded with a very good building/flying learning curve that will allow you to fly that P-51 later with confidense.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
toothman

how about the pete n' poke kit from Great planes?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:28 AM
squeakalong

The Pete 'n Poke would make a nice plane to build but I'd have some reservations about this being a wise choice for your first kit build. This comment is in reference the the wing mounting used on the model. I have seen two of these (I have not built one) and both builders have commented that the cabane structure MUST be constructed absolutely true and square to the fuselage. When you bolt the wing on you want that wing to mount correctly otherwise your model will never fly like it is supposed to. It's a fun airplane that you may want to keep on the "back-burner". Also, the SlowPoke (I DO have one of these kits) would not make a good first kit to build and fly...the build would be okay, but the model is "short-coupled" as we old timers say and can be a bit twitchy in the wind. I'd still suggest a kit from the choices in my previous posts.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...tm.htm#6789231
This is a build thread I did on a SlowPoke. I found it to be an easy build , but had several builds under my belt before it. The Sig4 Stars are the easist building planes I have built so far and recommend one as your first kit. But if you have some mechanical skills, you should`nt have any problems with the SlowPoke. Cool littyle plane.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Robbie-and-Slowpoke-wmvheres a video of the maiden.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry Toothman, but I have to agree with Squeekalong as well. Let me try to give you a little perspective on what he is trying to tell you.
You have an arf that you assemble the pieces. Think of it as a bicycle, not too hard to handle
The suggested 4Stars, Eagle and Tiger II would be like driving a Ford Focus or Pontiac G6, not to difficult and not to powerful for a beginner
Now lets look at the warbirds you listed, think NASCAR to Indy cars. Only someone with lots of experience can handle them and one wrong move can total them.
What you might do is build a couple of 4 Stars, Eagle's or TigerII's. Set one up with tricycle gear per the instructions and later build one with a tail wheel to learn how to handle a tail dragger since a tail dragger handles a lot different on the ground
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: toothman

how about the pete n' poke kit from Great planes?
I wouldn't recommend the Pete N' Poke because it won't recover very well if it snaps. It takes a bit more discipline to avoid risks when flying this plane, plus it is considerably more fragile than even a scale Cessna. And this makes it even less forgiving. Stay away from the Pete N' Poke for now. It's for experienced pilots who want some relaxed Sunday flying and is a reasonably easy build for them, not beginners.

If you want a kit, among the easiest would be the Goldberg Tiger 2 or Sig Four-Star. The Sig Mid-Star, in fact, would offer more simplicity than the other two choices. They are more agile and quick than a primary trainer and will do most of what a sport plane will do, and for this reason you won't have to restrain yourself as much from experimenting "just to see what it will do". They will also recover from stalls quickly and are less prone to spins, so you'll stand a better chance of not crashing if you dumb thumb while 3 mistakes high. Trust me.

NorfolkSouthern