Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
EduardoBC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Remembering Carl Goldberg Models

So nice to remember what was with no doubt the "Best in Flying Models" Carl Goldberg was a genius. He knew exactly how to design and make kits. He also had something nobody else had in the business: He LISTENED to modellers He had people all over the USA and worldwide asking what modellers would like to see in a kit and what type of model they wanted. I think this is part of his success. I remember way back in 1965 I built and flew my first Falcon 56 free flight, believe it or not!!! At that time I was 18 and here in Bogotá, Colombia modelling was expensive so I couldn't afford RC. Later, I learned to fly Rc with the Senior Falcon and MicroAvionics Green box radio. I also built a Skylark single engine and a Skylane 42 and now, after more than 40 years I am going to build the Skylark twin with two Chinese ASP .21. So sorry that today's modellers don't like to build models. They buy those stupid ARFS always badly made, weak, low quality and outrageously expensive and without the pleasure of building!!
Fortunately, balsa is still available (We grow it right here in southern Colombia) and plans can be kept for many years. They can also be shared thanks to internet. Guys: let's keep Goldberg alive. Lets build his models and I'm sure you all will enjoy them. Anybody wanting my Skylark 56 plans (original 1963 single or twin model) just let me know. Write to me [email protected] Greetings from Colombia!!
The following users liked this post:
davidericjohnson (11-19-2023)
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the 1970s-80s, if you were starting out, it was pretty likely that your instructor would recommend a Senior Falcon or Falcon 56 as your first airplane. Although I never built one, I have flown a few Seniors and have significant stick time on them. I don't think there is a better airplane out there! There may be better primary trainers now; however, the Senior Falcon stayed with you from primary school to intermediate trainer and beyond. This is one airplane that someone needs to offer as a kit, again!

I agree, Goldberg was an Industry Leader! This discussion reminds me that someday, I'm going to want to build another Goldberg Chipmunk!

Also reminds me of a funny tale: The old club here in Park Rapids flew off our flying field here on my property, which was fairly well surrounded by swamp lands. A friend had bought a Senior Falcon somewhere. One one of his first flights with it, he hadn't put enough rubber on, to hold the wing down. From sveral hundred feet in the air, the wing popped off! The fuselage came down like a Javalin, straight into the swamp and shot up a GEYSER of swamp water. The wing, meantime was still a couple hundred feet in the air, spinning and floating its way down into a pine plantation and luckly landed in a small clearing, unharmed. Several of us, plus the owner, trudged out through the boggy swamp and figured we're going to find the shattered remains of his fuselage. Not far into the swamp, we could see the old Falcon's tail sticking straight up. When we got to it, the fuselage was deeply embeded in the swamp, up to the wing saddle. The owner found he couldn't simply pull the fuselage from the swamp, as the engine had screwed the airplane into the swamp! He had to dig down to the engine by hand around the fuselage to free it! Other then some swamp water getting to the balsa structure, which needed to be dried out and tearing down the engine, cleaning and oiling it up, no damage was done to the plane and it lived on to fly many more flights!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I built the Skylane 62 near the end of it's life cycle, 1986 or so. I bought the kit from the hobby store in NYC that advertized every month in RCM, a full two page ad, don't remember their name but I did read the ad every month, like something might change. The Skylane was a great built, lots of craving, lots of balsa dust. First plane that I built that had an airfoil shaped stablizer, it seemed like the plane would hang on forever while landing, main wheels first, then drop on the nose. Most trainer type planes I see today just plop down on the ground.

I used Goldberg retracts in a Sig Bonanza, worked flawlessly
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
sir crashallot

i wouldnt mind geting my hands on the goldberg cub fuselage kit as i have a good wing sat here waiting for a new fusealage
Old 11-24-2009, 05:27 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Sir,

The good news is Goldberg Cubs seem to be of an adundance on Ebay and are typically going for around $75.

Great kit. Great airplane.

It really never hurts to have a few Goldberg kits in storage, mothballed, hoarded...however you want to put it. I just like having them around.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
EduardoBC

Hi, Does anybody know what ever happened to Goldberg Retracts? They were the best around. Who might have the moulds and perhaps think of bringing them back to production? I think they would sell very well.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 PM
tryingagain

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Back in the 1970s-80s, if you were starting out, it was pretty likely that your instructor would recommend a Senior Falcon or Falcon 56 as your first airplane. Although I never built one, I have flown a few Seniors and have significant stick time on them. I don't think there is a better airplane out there! There may be better primary trainers now; however, the Senior Falcon stayed with you from primary school to intermediate trainer and beyond. This is one airplane that someone needs to offer as a kit, again!

I agree, Goldberg was an Industry Leader! This discussion reminds me that someday, I'm going to want to build another Goldberg Chipmunk!

Also reminds me of a funny tale: The old club here in Park Rapids flew off our flying field here on my property, which was fairly well surrounded by swamp lands. A friend had bought a Senior Falcon somewhere. One one of his first flights with it, he hadn't put enough rubber on, to hold the wing down. From sveral hundred feet in the air, the wing popped off! The fuselage came down like a Javalin, straight into the swamp and shot up a GEYSER of swamp water. The wing, meantime was still a couple hundred feet in the air, spinning and floating its way down into a pine plantation and luckly landed in a small clearing, unharmed. Several of us, plus the owner, trudged out through the boggy swamp and figured we're going to find the shattered remains of his fuselage. Not far into the swamp, we could see the old Falcon's tail sticking straight up. When we got to it, the fuselage was deeply embeded in the swamp, up to the wing saddle. The owner found he couldn't simply pull the fuselage from the swamp, as the engine had screwed the airplane into the swamp! He had to dig down to the engine by hand around the fuselage to free it! Other then some swamp water getting to the balsa structure, which needed to be dried out and tearing down the engine, cleaning and oiling it up, no damage was done to the plane and it lived on to fly many more flights!

Check out Early R/C. They offer the Falcon 56 and Senior Falcon in laser cut kits.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 AM
JRO

I started RC around 1981 and one of my first kits that I learned on was a Eaglet 50 with a OS20. I must have put 200 flights on it. I have also had the Gentle Lady. I friend of mine had a damaged Falcon 56 which I repaired on put a OS40 LA on it, what a great flier.
I still have the following planes which have been great.
Piper Cub
Extra 300
Tiger 11
Obsession
I enjoy putting kits together even though I have ARF's. I am thinking about ordering a Tiger 60, like I need another airplane.
I still have all of the above except the Eaglet 50, also I have had the Skylark which has met its demise.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

I started out on a falcon 56MkIIthat was in the late 70's early 80's. After 26 years away from the hobby in the USAF I started flying again last summer on my old Falcon. I am currently building a Tiger 60 KIT. I also just picked up an anniversary Cub to build. I just don't think it is the same building or flying an ARF. I didn't learn anything building it and I don’t really know how to fix it. I think everyone should build at least one kit. My brother in law just got in to the hobby last summer and didn't think he would like building. He started a US1000 just after Christmas and is having so much fun he can't wait to start his next Kit. I understand those who don't want to build kits but I think if they had a good old CG kit to try it would change a lot of their minds.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41079.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1367366  
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Soooo, what ya saying minn,....they going to reissue a jungmann kit again?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Archie League

I was going to school and I was writing a research paper. I had a stack of NASA tech-briefs which I was using for research. And I came across an article about Carl Goldberg. Hmm.
NASA tech-briefs had articles about just about any leading edge development in engineering you could imagine. And some of it did pertain to aviation. As did the Carl Goldberg article.
The USAF had used a flying stab on a high altittude research vehicle and were using it like a de-thermalizer. The thing popped up vertical and the plane would decend almost straight down. High rate of decent, but completely controlled. Its was pretty cool. And of course they went way to far into the math and science.They did credit Carl with the design idea. And theyexplained his background and the original use of de-thermalizers.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

I am one of the luckier ones! In addition to building and flying a number of Goldberg controliners and later Sr. Falcons, I knew Carl personally when he
lived here in California. I felt I had arrived, via my magazine articles, when I was invited to have lunch with him and his wife at their home.
We have had, and have, a lot of - let us just say "not-so-nice" people in the hobby industry, but at the other end of the scale was Carl Goldberg.
Him and John Brodbeck of K&B, also a friend, not only produced quality hobby items, but were 110% gentleman in every respect.
I am one of the luckier ones................Eloy Marez
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 AM
EduardoBC

I really envy Eloy. Unfortunately, I never met Carl but I was fortunate enough to have built several of his models. His designs both RC, CL and FF are timeless and they are good today as much as they were good 40 years ago. Here in Colombia, they continue to be popular and are built (from plans) by several real modelers. Of course they were other gentlemen who knew exactly how to make kits , engines and RC equipment such as Ed Manulkin of Sterling and Sid Axlerod of Top Flite, Also several other geniuses like Roy Cox of .049 Babe Bee fame and, as mentioned by Eloy, John Brodbeck. I also remember gentlemen like Phil Kraft who took RC equipment manufacture to a new level, John Elliot and Gerry Krause of EK Logictrol fame and several others who made this hobby what it is today. As a matter of fact I still have my original Kwik Fli Mk.III built in 1970 and designed by Kraft with which I learned to fly RC aerobatics. It is in perfect flying condition. AND I am at the present time building a Flea Fli!!! Same Kwik Fli but 66% smaller. All this to show that RC is not the same as it used to be. Those horrendous ARFs which teach nothing and cost Bill Gates' fortune are no good for the real modeler who really enjoys both building and flying.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I can't really remember a time when I didn't have a goldberg ship in my hanger, I always seemed to have one or more ready to fly, just because you always know that it was going to fly great no matter which one it was. I've had most of the popular ones from trainers down to sport aerobatic models. The one's I cut my teath on were the eagleII and the eaglet 50, come to think of it, I had more fun with those two planes than all the extras and skybolts I have now. I still have a few good CGB models stashed away for the future builds, but right now, I'm kinda sad that all good things must come to an end.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
AviationNut

My first airplane was a CG Gentle Lady that I built from a kit around 15 years ago. A wonderful floater and excellent airframe to learn on. It would stay up quite a while off the hi-start, which gave me plenty of flight time to learn - even if I didn't find any thermals. My first glow kit was a CG Tiger 60 which I have a blast flying! I've only built two CG kits so far, but they were both winners in my book. I still have both airplanes
Old 01-30-2010, 06:56 PM
DanS
My Feedback: (1)

Back around 1992 I built my third ultimate 10 300 and filled out the survey card included with the kit. I actually received a call from a representative at Carl Goldberg models who wanted to follow up on some of the comments I made on the survey card. Things like that are what made Carl Goldberg one of the best model manufacturers that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Bax

ORIGINAL: twn

I beleive Carl is passed on and Great Planes(?) now owns Carl Goldberg products.
Please note that Lanier, including Carl Goldberg Models, was acquired by Great Planes/Hobbico in August, 2007. Carl Goldberg, himself, passed away in January, 1985, more than two decades previously.

An examination of our history will show that NONE of the brands we have acquired have ''disappeared''. They have all been re-energized and continued. Each one has its own identity.

As far as model airplane kits (or even ARF's) are concerned, they get discontinued because modelers no longer purchase them. Nobody's going to manufacture something people aren't buying. Successful products do not get discontinued, and EVERY product has a lifetime, regardless of how good it once was, or still is.
Very well said and I totaly agree!

I know I grew up on Goldberg kits and owned at least a couple of each of the control line models over the years. Also the Falcon r/c's in different configurations. I miss the Goldberg brand even though they were not the best made kits in terms of todays kits. Pobably miss GM as almost as much as I miss that age of growing up. I am very thankful for all the manufacturers and suppliers out there to day in the tough economic world. Like I said, still miss that era!
Old 01-31-2010, 09:43 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

My first attempt at model aviation was in 1960 something with a Goldberg Lil Wizard and BabeBee .049. It never lasted more than a quarter circle. I was so frustrated until the LHS owner said, try freeflight. So I bought a Ranger 30 and a Cox .020 and was hooked. I was chasing the Goldberg Ranger 30 all over God's creation. Later when I had more money I got the 1/2a Viking and 1/2a Blazer and those only flew higher and further and turned me into a crosscountry track star.

My favorite 2nd R/C plane was a Falcon 56 with an Enya 45. (I soloed on a Top Flite Headmaster/Enya .29) I must have built at least 10 of the Falcon series over the years. I have also had the Piper Cub, the Extra 300, Gentle Lady and Sophisticated Lady gliders, and a couple of the Tigers.

I grew up with Carl Goldberg as my hero. I would read anything and everything he wrote. My eyes misted over when I heard of his death.

RIP and thank you Mr. Goldberg, you were an integral part of this young kid's growing up with airplanes.

Don
Old 09-16-2014, 09:06 PM
mjmccarron

I realize that this is an old thread but appreciate the opportunity to share a story that is dear to me. I started building kits at the age of 9 with a Carl Goldberg Lil' Jumpin' Bean. I was in 4th grade and that year we had to write a business letter to a company as an assignment. I chose to write to Mr. Goldberg. What I didn't expect was such a detailed and personal response. He answered my questions and encouraged me to continue in model aviation. He suggested the Falcon 56 mk II as a good start into RC. I followed his advise and saved until I could afford the kit, a fox .36 and an Ace RC kit radio. I still have that airplane and although it has an OS .40 and Spektrum radio, it still flies! The letter was signed by Carl Goldberg himself and I treasured it for years. sadly it was lost in a basement flood about 15 years ago. Goldberg produced kits that were superior in quality and price and I miss that. Lanair and Great Planes did what they felt was best but those model kits are sorely missed. I will never forget how he took the time to answer a letter from a 4th grade kid and made a difference in my life. You don't see that too often anymore. His kits, of which I have built many, and encouragement helped keep me interested in a constructive hobby which included very fond memories with my dad. A great man indeed!
Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to see another flier remembering everybody's hero - Carl Goldberg. Over the decades I've built many of his planes, still have these flying:

C/L - Lil Satan, Lil Toot, Cosmic Wind
RC - Eaglet 50, Sr. Falcon, Gentle Lady, Eagle II, Skylark, 25th Anniv Cub

Great planes from a great man. Can't say more than that.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:17 AM
equip
My Feedback: (64)

Hello all do what I did hoard I have a ultimate 300, cub, bucker, chipmunk, NIB on my shelf. I have 88 days till retirement you know what ill be doing this winter thanks for the memories.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by equip
Hello all do what I did hoard I have a ultimate 300, cub, bucker, chipmunk, NIB on my shelf. I have 88 days till retirement you know what ill be doing this winter thanks for the memories.
Hope you will be doing templates of every part of each kit so others can get a copy of the plans and templates from you. I know I would still like to build another Ultimate. I have shared plans and templates for the Extra several times over the years. There is still a large group of fans of the Extra and still flying them. Old kits have gotten hard to find and the asking prices have gotten stupid.
YOUR GOING TO LOVE RETIREMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:46 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Hope you will be doing templates of every part of each kit so others can get a copy of the plans and templates from you. I know I would still like to build another Ultimate. I have shared plans and templates for the Extra several times over the years. There is still a large group of fans of the Extra and still flying them. Old kits have gotten hard to find and the asking prices have gotten stupid.
YOUR GOING TO LOVE RETIREMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Truer words have rarely been spoken - sure am enjoying mine, I get to fly nearly every day.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:05 PM
evanspa

I just scored the first two Powered RC planes I ever flew. The first was the Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50 and my second plane was a Goldberg Jr. Tiger. Flew both on an OS .25. What outstanding kits!!
I made copies of the plans and ribs this time for future builds. I really miss the days of going to the hobby shop (Ours was Red Baron Hobbies) and they would take the kit down from the shelf and let you look through the manuals and kit. Could even buy Monokote by the foot.
My first kit was the Wanderer glider
Its funny how most of the guys at our club have never seen/built a plane from sticks and they think the FOAM ARFs actually fly good, LOL

I am looking to start the Eaglet this weekend!

The cool thing about the Eaglet and Jr Tiger......."Made in Chicago, IL USA"
Old 10-17-2014, 09:49 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by evanspa
I just scored the first two Powered RC planes I ever flew. The first was the Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50 and my second plane was a Goldberg Jr. Tiger. Flew both on an OS .25. What outstanding kits!!
I made copies of the plans and ribs this time for future builds. I really miss the days of going to the hobby shop (Ours was Red Baron Hobbies) and they would take the kit down from the shelf and let you look through the manuals and kit. Could even buy Monokote by the foot.
My first kit was the Wanderer glider
Its funny how most of the guys at our club have never seen/built a plane from sticks and they think the FOAM ARFs actually fly good, LOL

I am looking to start the Eaglet this weekend!

The cool thing about the Eaglet and Jr Tiger......."Made in Chicago, IL USA"
I remember those days. They are now the "good ol' days"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.