Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Remembering Carl Goldberg Models "The Legends of Carl GOldberg"

Old 01-01-2015, 02:07 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's been awhile since this thread was active but I've just gotta ask - - does anyone remember when the original CG Eaglet came out???? I just came upon one that had apparently been crashed a long long time ago. Most of the front end (forward of the rear wing holddown dowel) is gone but I'm going to rebuild it anyway, to go with my "newer" 25-yr old Eaglet-50. This older one does NOT have the plastic wing tips but it does have a rather "crusted" Supertigre .29 that I'm going to take apart and HOPEFULLY get going again.

Wings are OK (a miracle) and tail has issues but is easily repairable.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how old this bird might actually be. Decals on the side say Eaglet, not Eaglet-50 like my "new" one does, so I'm thinking this is older.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:03 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Eaglet was a 25 size trainer and the Eagle was a 40 size. I remember a couple at the field back
in the 80's. I had a couple of the Eagles back in the old days. Sometime ago they changed the name to Eagle 2,
not sure when though.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 AM
skylark-flier

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
I think the Eaglet was a 25 size trainer and the Eagle was a 40 size. I remember a couple at the field back
in the 80's. I had a couple of the Eagles back in the old days. Sometime ago they changed the name to Eagle 2,
not sure when though.
Yeah, "MY" Eaglet was built in the early 1990's, I think during fall of 1991. Still have the instructions & kit manual - has a 1986 copyright date, and specifies .09-.20 power. I've had a OS.20FP in it for a long long time - works GREAT! I was just wondering if there was more than one release of the kit, this wreck I'm rebuilding has solid balsa wingtips, vs mine with the cheapie plastic tips. Gotta say, I like the balsa better. The wreck also seems to be a cheaper kind of ply, almost like a Lauan, vs my plane with a heavier type - probably Birch or something similar.

Anyway, it's going to be a challenge to rebuild - fun project for the winter. I've got pics in the camera, will upload them here later this afternoon. They show what I'm starting with - it's not much.

That engine's going to be a small project too. I've been soaking it in MEK for a week and she's turning now - rather freely, surprisingly. Plan to have it on a test stand this weekend to see if it'll just start-up without tearing apart first.

Ah, the Eagle-II. Love that plane!!!!!!! Mine was built in 1979, kit was bought in 1978. Outstanding plane to fly.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 AM
skylark-flier

Finally got the pics loaded. This is what I started with, after I took off the main landing gear strut:

At this point I simply removed all the rest of the old monokote (metallic blue & cream - really a nice combination) and started working on separate parts. The vertical stab simply laid down when I removed the monokote - it was completely broke in half at the base. This plane has definitely taken quite a beating.

Vertical stab, rebuilt Horizontal stab, rebuilt

New sides - cut forward from rear bulkhead.

I'm definitely hoping to have this bird back in the air by spring. Don't really know how I'll meld the new sides to old yet - gonna take some mulling...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1823-fuse-trimmed-25pct.jpg
Views:	2064
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	2061049   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1827-fuse-rear-trimmed-25pct.jpg
Views:	2061
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	2061050   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1828-fuse-bottom-side-25pct.jpg
Views:	1987
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2061051   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1831-vert-stab-2-25pct.jpg
Views:	1947
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2061052   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1832-horiz-stab-25pct.jpg
Views:	1941
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2061053   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1830-new-sides-25pct.jpg
Views:	1986
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2061054  
Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you need the original plans, you can order them from:

[email protected]
Old 01-05-2015, 02:49 PM
skylark-flier

Hi Bill!! Yeah, got the plans from outerzone - actually printed them up right here and taped all the parts/sheets together. I can tell you, it was quite a job and took an awful lot of tape - but I've got 'em. What I'm looking for right now is a set of the original Eaglet decals - I might or might not be successful in that one though.

The fuse is now all one piece and the tail group is remounted and ready to cover. The new bulkheads & firewall fit just fine, engine mounts are in and the epoxy is going to sit the rest of tonight before I do anything else on her. One thing I did with the mounts was to raise them up a bit. That "ply mounted to hardwood" thing just didn't look all that good to me so I've got straight hardwood mounts now. Tomorrow I'll start on the flooring, interior landing gear mounting plates and all the rest.

This is the 3rd restoration I've done in the past 4 months, and the 2nd oldest plane. This stuff is FUN!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:20 AM
skylark-flier

Just to keep myself straight mainly, thought I'd post a pic of the progress so far on the Eaglet. Landing gear is just held by a couple bolts each, and the engine's simply sitting on the mount, but she's starting to look like an airplane again. Still got an awful lot of work to do...

Name:	100_1839-all-together.jpg
Views:	2602
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	2062203  
Old 01-08-2015, 10:34 AM
SushiHunter

Wow, my very first r/c plane I bought, built and flew was the CG Eaglet 50. That was around 1981 or so. I'll never forget the memories of the very first build, the smell of heated monokote and the thrill of flying the plane I built.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM
cubcrasher

I had an Eagle way back when. I smashed it in the center of the runway. Epoxied the fuse back
together and was back flying in a few days.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My original Sky Tiger summer 1986. This was an important airplane for me and flew for years. I think it met it's demise in 1991 after the wing came off, as I forgot to put enough rubber bands on. I had built an Eagle 63 about a year and a half earlier, and it was my first RC plane. It was great as well, and taught me how to fly. I just scored a NIB original sky tiger kit a couple of weeks ago. Will be nice to have a replacement.

Name:	1506775_10202962900817869_1459983563_n.jpg
Views:	2777
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	2062393  
Old 01-27-2015, 09:30 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I just got my NIB Eaglet 50 kit (circa 1983) out of post-move storage. does anyone need scans/pics of parts, etc?

Sincerely, Richard
GB Anniv Cub (NIB), Eaglet 50 (NIB), Eagle 63 (RIP), Freedom 20
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been preaching for people to always draw templates of every part in a kit they get and hang onto the plans and instructions so they can share with others. You will see a lot of people requesting these items over the years here on RCU.
I was just given a site that had the plans, instructions and templates for a boat I was looking for that has been out of production for decades. The plans come in different sizes and are in PDF so I was able to put them on a disc that Kinko's can use to print them out for me.
On top of that the plans are now upgraded. In the 50s this boat was a tether boat with a 1/2a motor. We had to be out in the water to operate it. Now the plans I just got have it as a two channel RC. NIce to be able to keep my feet dry now days.
By all means make up the templates and hang onto them. It's how we keep the old kits alive.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure I will build this or just keep it. In any case I will make templates and copies of the plans. Thanks for suggesting this, I usually do it with all of my builds.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Eaglet always brings back memories for me. My old friend that got me flying RC in the beginning built an Eaglet, and it was the first RC plane I had seen built. He made his 2 channel. Rudder and elevator with one of the CL engines we had been using. I think it was an Enya .19. The interesting thing, was the radio used. We had a local hobby store that was not very honest. They sold him a 2 channel radio for surface use. We did not know the difference. He found out later that it did not have enough range! Made for a wild ride with only 2 channels. I never flew an Eaglet, but the original Eagle 63 is the model I learned to fly with.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 AM
skylark-flier

Gotta tell ya guys, this restoration stuff is fun! I'm just waiting for decent weather now, the Eaglet is done and ready to go. Got a couple pics I took just before I hand-cut the Eaglet name for the sides again. She looks good!

That's 2 CG planes restored this winter, so far. My Sr. Falcon was the first.

Name:	100_1848-complete-front-view.jpg
Views:	2645
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	2068539   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1849-complete-rear-view.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	2068540   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1764-75pct.jpg
Views:	2444
Size:	769.8 KB
ID:	2068541   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1765-75pct.jpg
Views:	2516
Size:	774.0 KB
ID:	2068542  
Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 AM
cubcrasher

Nice work there skylark. I've got a couple Goldberg kits on hand to build someday. Carl
was ahead of his time.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

No doubt, the Goldberg kits provided excellent value and plans. I loved both the Chipmunk and the Extra300. Nothing but fun.

Name:	Extra300 GB.jpg
Views:	2062
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2068635  
Old 01-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

I can say I enjoyed the Chipmunk more than the Extra for pure fun and spot landings… the Super Chippy was a wonderful model.

Name:	lg-239465.jpg
Views:	2090
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2068640  
Old 02-09-2015, 04:00 AM
skylark-flier

SUCCESS!!!! I took all 3 restored/recreated CG planes out yesterday for test flights.
The Gentle Lady hadn't flown since 1993 and she got first nod. She's also the only plane I got airborne shots of - easy to fly, camera in one hand, controls in the other. That one was pretty much a "non-event", no surprises at all. Two flights for the Lady.

Then, it was time for the Sr. Falcon. Also pretty much a non-event. Had to change the trims a bit because she pulls left just a "hair", and one of the wheels came off while taxiing back from her first flight, but that was it. Once the wheel was back on she got 2 more flights.

Eaglet was last - and she's a bit of a handfull, trims needed a fair amount of adjustments. Once I got her trimmed decently the only issue I had was engine stalls - it would go 5-6 minutes and shut down, sounded like she's being fuel starved. However, this engine also has not run for 20 years so she probably just needs re-breaking in, so to speak. Will look into that today.

Anyway, 2 flights for the Lady, 3 for the Falcon, 3 for the Eaglet.

Great day!!!!

Name:	100_1867-25pct.jpg
Views:	2136
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	2071648   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1869-zoomed.jpg
Views:	1882
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	2071649   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1870-zoomed.jpg
Views:	1929
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2071650  
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 AM
cubcrasher

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
SUCCESS!!!! I took all 3 restored/recreated CG planes out yesterday for test flights.
The Gentle Lady hadn't flown since 1993 and she got first nod. She's also the only plane I got airborne shots of - easy to fly, camera in one hand, controls in the other. That one was pretty much a "non-event", no surprises at all. Two flights for the Lady.

Then, it was time for the Sr. Falcon. Also pretty much a non-event. Had to change the trims a bit because she pulls left just a "hair", and one of the wheels came off while taxiing back from her first flight, but that was it. Once the wheel was back on she got 2 more flights.

Eaglet was last - and she's a bit of a handfull, trims needed a fair amount of adjustments. Once I got her trimmed decently the only issue I had was engine stalls - it would go 5-6 minutes and shut down, sounded like she's being fuel starved. However, this engine also has not run for 20 years so she probably just needs re-breaking in, so to speak. Will look into that today.

Anyway, 2 flights for the Lady, 3 for the Falcon, 3 for the Eaglet.

Great day!!!!
Good deal, I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 AM
skylark-flier

Yeah, me too. Took the Eaglet out again today before the rain and wind started. Awful lot of black gunk came out the muffler for awhile, then it cleared to the usual oil spray I'm used to seeing. That took about a half-tank to clear out. Two flights to dry tank with deadstick landings and she's WAY better than yesterday. Of course, yesterday I was flying in 15-20mph breezes (lousy conditions for test flights), today was all but calm. Then 2 flights of touch & goes with powered landings - she's GREAT on a powered approach.

Lastly, I put her up for some "play time". High flat-bottom wing, same as several other of my planes - and she's every bit as good as any of them, better than a couple. Inverted flight's a bit of a time, she was originally built with more dihedral than I would have built her, but she WILL stay inverted, she WILL do outside loops. My SIG Kadet Mk-II doesn't like outside loops and neither does my LiveWire Champ Mk-II. Inside loops, rolls, spins - all REALLY good, spins are actually nearly as good as my Sr. Falcon (semi-symmetrical wing) and SIG MidStar-40 (symmetrical).

Not one time, did the engine stall out today. I'm thinking it was just old gunk down inside that needed clearing out.

I added a half ounce of weight to the tail last night. I was noticing yesterday that her glide wasn't all that great, she was coming down rather smartly with a shut-down engine. Today was a whole lot better - I think she might have been a tad nose heavy, even though the CG was precisely where the plans said it should be. Today the CG is actually 1/4" behind the main spar and she's doing just fine with it there.

Come to think of it, looking at the Sr. Falcon's plans (hadn't had them out in near 40 years) the CG for the Falcon is pretty far back on the wing - well behind the spar - and I've been awful happy with the Falcon for an awful long time.

This is the most active planes I've ever had in my hangar - 12 so far, 4 of them are Carl Goldberg planes. Once I have another good day I can put my AFI Super Monterey glider up for her maiden and that'll make 13. Then, once the 1966-era SIG Stratus is complete and flying I'll have 14. Getting crowded in there.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:05 PM
ThunderBoat42

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What a GREAT thread!!!! Nice to know there are so many others that love the Goldberg Models!! Also the Eaglet. I have one framed and putting a K&B sportster 20 on it like my first one from the early 80's. Both original and both new. Also have an original Extra 300, Ultimate and Cub (not the GP remake).
This thread made my day.
Another reason I wish they didn't drop so many planes.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:09 PM
ThunderBoat42

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is it impossible to post a picture from an iPhone?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:09 AM
JulianF25

My first Carl Golberg (and RC) model ever was an Eaglet 50 scratch-built in the early 90's. At 13, I couldn't quite afford the price of any RC kit so a hobby shop owner in Bogota was kind enough to let me make a copy of the plans and instruction booklet. Building from scratch wasn't so bad as I had already cut my teeth building small rubber-powered kits.

The Eaglet was powered with an O.S. .25 FP and it took just over a year to complete as I slowly acquired all the accessories needed. Other than the clear plastic cockpit, this model was built as close to stock as posible, down to the tank hatch and engine mount. Even the nose and main gears were bent at a local fab shop from a raw piece of 1/8" music wire. The radio came much later but that's a subject for a "poor beginnings" thread.

This plane was absolutely noble in the air and a pleasure to solo with. It accumulated scars throughout my learning and bore them proudly until it met its demise as a result of an unfortunate radio interference. I built a few more after that for myself and other folks looking to start in RC. (I sort of became the local go-to junior building-guru for a while).

My second C.G. model was a sophisticated lady and it was the first proper RC kit I ever built. I got it from a friend who purchased it and quickly found out it took more time than he wanted to invest. Having nothing but mountains all around, I was able to ridge soar it quite a bit. Those who've flown this plane will know how hard it was to convince it to land with healthy wind currents all around. I only wish I had tried to do some valley flying with it. This model was built twice more from templates.

My next Carl Goldberg is a full-retro project from the 1960's. An original 1/2A Blazer kit which I very much look forward to bringing to life later this summer.

Regards,
Julian

Name:	SCAN_20170723_083353172.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	662.0 KB
ID:	2225274   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN_20170723_083443979.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	693.5 KB
ID:	2225275  

Last edited by JulianF25; 07-23-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:11 PM
skylark-flier

Hey Julian! Nice pics of your Eaglet. That blue/cream-white color scheme seems to be a favorite, no matter where you are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.