Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on the Dynaflite Flybaby?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Any thoughts on the Dynaflite Flybaby?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:26 PM
_jon_
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on the Dynaflite Flybaby?

Here's a shot of mine at the field. I still haven't got the plane airborne just yet. I managed to flip it on it's nose in high grass on a take off run and it broke my prop. Didn't have any spares with me. I have a US41 mounted on this baby.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99880_8503.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	52313  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:25 AM
lownslo

Hi Jon,
What a nice job on that Fly Baby!!!!
What kind, and where did you get the pilot. Did you have to paint it? ..... lownslo..

Bob
Old 08-08-2003, 11:07 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh Jon, nice job, sweet plane. Let us know how that 41 pulls it. Noticed you have rigging wires and nice job on the dummy engines. When I put my dummy engines together bout tossed everthing out the window, did you have much trouble ?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:59 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Well, they are down to $76.81!
Old 08-08-2003, 02:39 PM
_jon_

The full body 1/4 scale pilot I used is from vaillyaviation.com. I believe it's "an officer and a gentlemen" pilot. It's soft, pliable latex and unpainted. It's really nice, I highly recommend them. The arms, head and torso all come seperately, so you can position them and then glue them in place with CA. Cost was around $30 shipped. The dummy engines are sort of a pain, but I did manage to get them assembled somewhat correctly, LOL. I feathered them into the cowl with and also hid the cowl seam with bondo. I used black control rod linkage tubing for the exhaust manifolds. I put wires on the top and bottom of the wing, the bottom flying wires WILL catch in tall grass and slow the plane down a lot on take off. That (and some sticky wheels and some really tall, thick grass) is what caused me to flip it up on it's nose a couple times when I tried to fly it last Sunday. I was turning 6200 rpms on the TopFlite 20 x 8 prop before I snapped it. I am installing a Mejzlik 19 x 8 prop on it for this weekend.

Thanks for the compliments,

Jon

Flybaby cockpit
Old 08-08-2003, 03:38 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon - Great looking plane. I wasn't planning on doing mine that scale till I saw yours.

P-51B I can't believe Tower is still dropping the price either.

Below is a link to the actual planes.
http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/index.htm#pictures

Lots of good ideas there. I plan on building mine with a two piece wing. I have a Dodge Neon and an 84" wing won't fit! It will be my first gasser.

Thinking of using Hitec HS-475B's on the elevators and ailerons and a HS-605 on the rudder. Do these sound adequate?

Thanks
John
Old 08-08-2003, 04:04 PM
_jon_

Thanks John,

They sure are a lot of fun to scale out. That link you gave and a few others sure help. They have a lot of good pictures on them. I designed an instrument panel in microsoft paint by looking at a full scale Flybaby panel photo on one of those links. I printed it out on paper and glued it to a piece of balsa. Worked pretty good.

I have Hitec 605's on the elevator halves and a 645mg on the rudder. I mounted the rudder servo on the underside of the fuselage, directly below the elevator servos. I put a pull pull setup on the rudder and regular 4/40 rod on the elevators. I used Hitec 77's or 477's on the ailerons. They are the "low profile" aileron servos. I didn't have to use these, just had them available. I used a standard Hitec servo for the throttle and a standard for the engine kill switch. They are both installed in the bottom of the fuse, under the cockpit. This is also where I installed a sub C nicad battery pack. The receiver is installed on the back of the seat.

Have fun.

Jon
Old 08-08-2003, 04:10 PM
_jon_

Hey, forgot to mention. If you're building a 2 piece wing anyways, you oughta' take a look at building it like the fullscale, where the wing halves fold back against the fuse. That would be really cool and pretty handy.

Jon
Old 08-08-2003, 08:30 PM
JNorton

Hi Jon,
I think a rotating 2 piece wing is beyond my capabilities. It would be heavier also. I'm thinking of using supercoverite or Koverall and latex paint. What's your opinion?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-10-2003, 12:55 AM
jbfoster
My Feedback: (16)

Default Flybaby Construction

I finally got started building my Flybaby. I made a quick web site to show my progress through the building.

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~jk-foster/flybaby/flybaby.html
Old 08-10-2003, 01:14 AM
lownslo

Default Thanks Jim!!!

Hi Jim,
I am sure glad you created that Fly Baby construction site. There are a LOT of us out here that have bought these things and this will be a great reference. Nice going!!
I am not going to do mine till winter...
I don't know much about web sites...... hope this one will be available to view for a while. Thanks again!!...... lownslo

Bob
Old 08-10-2003, 01:32 AM
jbfoster

My Flybaby pages will be here for a while. I'm sure it will take me awhile to get her built.

I'm not that great of a builder. I hate sanding and I can't cover very well either

I have been flying for about 4 years. This will be my fourth kit i'm building. My first 1/4 scale. I will be putting on a Ryobi gas engine. I have most of what I need but need a few more items.

Jim

http://home.comcast.net/~jk-foster/flybaby/flybaby.html
Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 AM
JNorton

Jim,
Thanks --- I'm echoing Low-N-Slow I'm also plan on building this in the winter. I'm sure your site will prove to be a valuable resource. You're the guinea pig!
John
Old 08-11-2003, 01:22 PM
_jon_

John,

I highly recommend some type of fabric covering and exterior latex paint. I used Super Coverite paintable. I was able to get my hands on a few 45" x 15' rolls. I think it's discontinued now, not positive. I really like using this stuff, I think you would too. I would get some type of compatible clear coat to put over the latex paint. I think Nelsons has some water soluable clear coat that can be sprayed over the latex paint.

I have tons of pics I snapped with the digital while I was building my Flybaby. If anyone needs a picture of a certain part of the building (ie. rudder servo mounting mod) let me know. I'll dig the pics out and post them.

Jon
Old 08-11-2003, 02:06 PM
lownslo

Hi Jon,

Any pictures you feel would be of help.....go for it!! I am especially interested in the mounting of servos in the tail. I have not built a model yet with the servos in the tail......sooooo, that might help me out.
Thanks....lownslo...
Old 08-11-2003, 10:23 PM
jbfoster

Default Pictures

I'm interested also in your pictures. I'm building my Flybaby now. I've got the tail feathers and the left wing half done so far. I would like to see you pictures. It may give me some ideas.

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-12-2003, 12:00 AM
JNorton

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of using Hitec 5475 digital 61 oz servo's for everything but the throttle. There I plan on a 425BB.

Question do you think 61 oz of torque is enough for the rudder?

Is 61 oz torque enough for the elevator? I'm also planning on using a Sullivan Ball Type Elevator splitter to connect each side of the elevator to a single servo. I'm using a 6XAS transmitter and I do not want to use a servo reverser.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-12-2003, 12:06 AM
lownslo

John,
Could you post a link to that Sullivan elevator
splitter??
Thanks, lownslo
Old 08-12-2003, 12:20 AM
JNorton

Sure - Tower LXBL8

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...L8&FVPROFIL=++

Looks like were building and thinking about the same plane.

I'm planning on using LXK060 4-40 solid rods well braced, not crossing over and putting the elevator ball joiner and the end and then coupling it to the servo with a short length of 4-40 into another ball joint LXFV40.

I'm mimicing what Troy Newman did but using garden varity components.

http://www.cox-internet.com/donramse...ControlSys.htm

See ya,
John
Old 08-12-2003, 12:46 AM
JNorton

I see that on the print they used Futaba S5101 servos. These are 51 oz inch servos. So perhaps I would be better off using a 5645MG 133 oz inch on the elevator.

Man I'm used to building 40 and 60 size planes. This one is starting to give me sticker shock! Spreadsheet is around $900.00 so far. OUCH!

I wanted a gasser because I like the idea of $1.50 for a gallon verses $15.00.

What do you think?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:59 AM
lownslo

Did you ever hear the saying...........
I've got a Tiger by the tail !!!
This hobby is a money pit!!! , but I will do it till I can't fork over any more green!!
...lownslo....
Old 08-12-2003, 04:00 PM
_jon_

Hey John,

I'd highly recommend using 2 elevator servos in the tail. The cutouts are there for them (you will probably have to buildup the mounting area because the fuse isn't wide enough to back the servos up to one another). If you use Hitec servos, you can just reverse the direction of one of them, that's what I did. I used Hitec 605bb's, plenty of torque for an elevator. Not sure if you can reverse the direction on a Hitec digital servo, maybe. The 425's, 605's, 645's, etc are all good torky servos for a real good price. If you are reversing the direction on a Hitec servo, you just swap the 2 motor wires (brown and orange I think) and the 2 outer pot wires (red and green I think). You can do this in a couple minutes with a soldering iron. If you're putting a gasoline engine on the front of this, you'll need some weight back there in your tail.

Jon
Old 08-12-2003, 04:10 PM
_jon_

John,

Thought I'd mention. You might check places like "servocity.com" for prices on Hitec flight packs. You can get a really good deal on these packs, which include the receiver and 4 servos.

Jon
Old 08-12-2003, 05:49 PM
JNorton

Jon

I know about servo city. The only thing that stops me from ordering a flight pack is that they all come with 600 maH nicads and I would prefer to use a 1200 maH pack at the minimum. The larger servos draw more and I'd like at least 5 to 6 flights of 10 minutes each before I have to recharge.

I was thinking of using the servo splitter because I do not have a transmitter capable of setting endpoints for each of the elevator halves. I can always put the battery pack in a hatch at the rear of the plane to balance without adding additional weight.

Thanks for the reply.

John
Old 08-12-2003, 08:05 PM
buba49

I just ordered one from Tower on line for $76.50 . That is the lowest I have seen.

Buba 49

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.