Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP .60 Extra 300S Kit help

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP .60 Extra 300S Kit help

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
Super_Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP .60 Extra 300S Kit help

Hi this is my first kit and everything has gone smooth and easy up until now. There is a detail I just can't figure out exactly what they want done here. I think its something that a person who has built the kit will have to answer.

I'm building the fuselage and to the point where I'm making the belly pan for the wing. The forward belly pan former seems to be way to tall for the former that it is supposed to be meeting up against. I'm not sure if its supposed to be this way or if I really need to shave a good 1/4inch of material off to make it fit flush. These parts are die cut but even the width of this former is a bit wide but I know what needs to be done with that .

For those of you with the instructions its on page 25, step 12 in the instruction book. The book and blue prints have absolutely no details what so ever on this and the camera angle in the picture is from the wrong side so I can't see it. This would be a huge pain the in the ass to fix if its done wrong so I want it done right the first time.

If anyone needs pictures I can take some.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:08 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: GP .60 Extra 300S Kit help

I remember that same issue when I built the kit. First you should sand an angle into the lower part of the belly pan former, the part that sits on the wing so it makes good solid contact with the wing sheeting. The way it is now with no angle, the only part of the former that contacts the wing is the back edge. When you sand the angle it will put the whole bottom of the former in contact and make for much better gluing surface. That will also take care of most of the extra height. After that, I still took more off the top of the former to make it match the fuselage.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Andrewmc

This former (19) is supposed to be larger than the adjacent former (7) so as to provide a recess to fit the undercarriage into. The wider sides can be sanded to mate with the fuselage but leave the height.

It is worth checking the side rails against each other and sanding them so that they are identical before assembly, mine were 1/16" different in width.

After assemby the centre rails will get sanded to the appropriate profile, look at the fuselage side view and the sections of Former 19 on the plans.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39997.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1282523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65992.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1282524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79822.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1282525  
Old 09-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Super_Dave

ORIGINAL: Andrewmc

This former (19) is supposed to be larger than the adjacent former (7) so as to provide a recess to fit the undercarriage into. The wider sides can be sanded to mate with the fuselage but leave the height.

It is worth checking the side rails against each other and sanding them so that they are identical before assembly, mine were 1/16'' different in width.

After assemby the centre rails will get sanded to the appropriate profile, look at the fuselage side view and the sections of Former 19 on the plans.

Hope this helps.

That is EXACTLY what I needed to know. Thank you very much. I want to get this kit built ASAP because I only have another 3 and a half months to fly it. I'll be starting basic training to join the Air Force in January.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Super_Dave

Now I would just like to know how high the engine needs to be mounted on the firewall. I am mounting a Zenoah G20ei on the front of this thing so the pre-marked engine mount holes aren't going to work. So for someone who has this plane how high is the crankshaft in relation to the top of the firewall? I guess it should just be in line with the fuselage center or slightly above but I would like to know some exact measurements.