Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg super chipmunk 60 any experience with this kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg super chipmunk 60 any experience with this kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goldberg super chipmunk 60 any experience with this kit?

I read there were some issues with the chipmunk kit from lanier .
The threads that I’ve found didn’t give the precise picture How bad is the mismatch, it seems bad enough not to finish the airplane.
Any body built this kit lately?
I’m thinking what to build this winter, I already have one US60 with MinnFlyer and RCken’s recommendations, the US60 is flying very well and will have one more stored under my bed to build in few years.
I want a 60 size airplane and I have OS 91 FX free, just no Bipes they have too many wings.
it sucks how small the selection of kits really is.

Thanks
Alex
Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg super chipmunk 60 any experience with this kit?

The Goldberg Chippy is in my list of Top Ten favorites! Go 4 it!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

I have had TWO... Great Flying plane... I think the OS 91FX may be a bit too much engine for the plane, but some guys like extra power.

My first was "over done" with retracts, flaps and a pull-pull on the rudder. It flew it with a Magnum 65 2-stroke. It was a beautiful plane and I had a lot of fun. But the retract setup was just a pain and it was a little heavy. I lost it due to a pilot miscalculation.

I had more than a mile visibility on the ground, but not at 100 feet!!! Lost her in the fog and did not get my procedure turn exactly right. The Chipmunk went down with a slow turn into the orchard next to our flying field.

The second one my wife found for me at a garage sale. It was ORANGE [laugh] and the gear had already been replaced with a set mounted to the fuselage. But, it did have flaps...

I put the Magnum 65 back into that plane and flew the snot out of it!!! It was finished a little lighter than my first and it was ugly enough that I flew with very little fear… I later sold it off with the engine.

A friend of mine flew one years and years ago and it was beautiful… However, he lost it due to the elevator control horn breaking during a high-speed dive and high-G pull out...

So, from my experience I would do the following:

-The OS 91 FX may be a bit of overkill for the CG Chipmunk. A 91 four-stroke is great.
-Set the plane up with the wire gear and wheel pants.
-Build her with Flaps
-Set the elevator up with DUAL control horns!! (Especially if you go 91 2-stroke)
-Pull-pull on the rudder was a little over-kill, but nice and solid.
-Buy yourself the fiberglass cowl for the kit (and maybe the wheel pants).

Old 09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I helped a guy with one years ago(like 18 years ago) there was some kind of issue with the ribs. The ribs were supposed to be fully symetrical, and they weren't. This was so long ago I would think Great Planes would have corrected the problem by now.
Great airplane anyway. this one was K&B 65 powered. We never thought about hovering back then, but it had planty of power for whatever.

david
Old 09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it !! The "Chippy" is one great buildingflying plane. I have a "75" Super Tiger in mine & it's a blast!! Good luck`
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Ms1095

I've had 2. One of the best flying models out there IMO! The one I have now has a Enya .80 4 stroke. Flys it great.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Alex7403

Thanks guys,
well as is without switching the OS 91 FX two stroke is what I have free and it seems its not that much stronger than 75 AX.
reading the manual I kind of dont like how the gear is mounted to the wings, it looks like it sits on the ribs and not on the spars, maybe my mistake.
I'm thinking about doing main LG on the fuse, i'll have to check if its possible.
Other thought is maybe the US60 will be glad to accept the 91FX with 13x10 prop so the chipmunk will get the 75 AX.
for some reason at our field we overpower everything.
Just missed one chipmunk on ebay [:@]

Thanks
Alex
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Outstanding plane!!! Last one I flew was last summer with a YS 1.20 in it. The engine was way more then needed but the plane took it very well. It was the only engine that the builder had in stock for it so that's what it got.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Minnreefer

would an os 61 be under powered in this plane?

Back to the original question, I think that it is a good kit to build with no major problems.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is one of the best kits made and produces one of the best flying planes out there. Also in my top 5. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Alex7403

I read there are issues during the transition from die cat to laser cut and the latest kit should be laser cut.
I'm just worried about the transition of Goldberg to Lanier to great planes because of kit miss match parts and bad wood selection.
There is a limit to how big of a mistake I can fix, if its miss match wing ribs or fuse formers I dont know if I can fix it.
I maybe wrong.

thanks
Alex
Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Minnreefer-
would an os 61 be under powered in this plane?
I have a friend in Denver that flew his with a K&B .61. 100mph + airplane. It was NOT lacking in power. Go for it!

Brian
Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 AM
multicasting

A good friend recently picked one of these up for me at a swap meet. It looks like the airframe was in good condition after the last flight. But looks like it was damaged some other way. There was a small hole in the sheeting on the bottom of the wing, and the leading edge has a crack where the sheeting meets the leading edge. I have all this repaired. The sad part is that this was a glassed and painted kit. It was absolutely beautiful. I haven't decided which engine is going in. Obviously I need something with a pitts muffler. I just happen to have a Rossi. That should do!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33192.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1285964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47155.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1285965  
Old 10-01-2009, 08:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW, here's a neat litte trick you can do if you keep the ABS cowl...

The cowl comes in a right and left half that you are supposed to glue together. They tell you to glue a strip of the scrap ABS that you removed to one side and then glue the other side to it.

Instead of gluing the other side to it, SCREW the other side to it. Now, whenever you need to get at the engine, you can unscrew the two halves and remove the cowl without removing the prop and spinner.

It works like a charm!

Plus, the top of the cowl just touches the forward tip of the engine mount. You can place one of the screws there so that it goes through the cowl and into the engine mount for extra stability.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67077.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1286034