Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Spitfire 40 covering and pilot

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Spitfire 40 covering and pilot

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 02:26 PM
ohiomark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitfire 40 covering and pilot

I am finishing a Great Planes Spitfire 40.

Any suggestions on what to cover it with? I have used MonoKote and Ultracote before,but I am a little leery of how to do a good camo pattern with two different colors.

Also, I want to put a pilot in it but I don't know what "scale" to buy.

What scale is a 40 size plane?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Default spit

Mark,

I built the GP Spitfire and I used all monokote. I first covered the wings completely in the base color. Next I cut out the camo pattern and laid it out how I wanted it to go. Then I drew a line around the patterns and took a straight pen to poke holes through the base color. This allows the air to escape when the camo patterns are ironed down. This method worked great with little to no bubbling. I did the same thing on the fuse except for the sheeted areas where I did not have to double up the monokote. I have also heard of a method using windex but I have never tried it.

I am not sure what scale this plane is as far as pilot size goes. Maybe someone else can help you there. Email me if you have any questions. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7174_2378.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	5155  
Old 03-30-2002, 03:36 PM
WWIIBIRD

Lovemyedge

Was wondering what your opinion of Spit is as a kit and how it flies.
T.I.A.
Brian
Old 03-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Brian,

I thought the the kit built pretty well. At the time I had not built very many kits and I still had no trouble with it. There were a couple of places on the wings that were not cut correctly but it was easily fixed. The nice thing about this plane is that it builds so light. That makes it very easy to fly, basically like a low wing trainer. I have heard that many spitfires are not that easy to fly but that is not the case with this one. As usual the ABS cowl was tough to fit so as not to have the seam show. I hate those things but also hate to spring for a fiberglass aftermarket one. I don't fly this plane much anymore because it is pretty tame, but it is pretty in the air. I would probably sell it if someone was interested. Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions just ask.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:57 AM
Hisham

I am very much interested in this kit!
Was about to order it today, online; however,
I was searching for any kind of reviews about it!
Guys is there any kind of review about its charac. ????
Any bad habits???
Regards
Old 03-31-2002, 04:29 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

I have built this kit and flown it as well. I am in no way an expert at this, as this was my first kit to build. I built is as per the plans, only changes I did was add additional sheeting the the wings, and fill in the wing tips with ribs and sheating to make them more round instead of flat. I have an MDS .48 powering this plane. It does build light as one on the earlier posts mentioned. I covered mine with sky blue mirror finish Monokote on bottom and dull finish desert camo on top. My first flight was quite....exciting! I only wanted to do some taxing down the runway, when she jumped into the air! I guess its time to fly! A little bit of trim adjustments and it flew great! A couple problems I have run across. One the plastic cowling has cracked all to h__l! I have replaced that with a Stan's Fibertech fiberglass cowl for 28.00. looks real nice. Second the Hobico retracts spun around on me on one of the landings, loose adjusting nut I didnt see. I have a WM Mustang that just wont snap roll at low speads, this Spitfire will! Been there done that. On my 3rd landing of the first day, I was coming in with about a 8 mile and hour headwind, I was a little long on my landing so I went back around. On my next final, I had forgot I had set back my idle trim . As I came in over the runway, I was about 15 feet up, looking pretty, nice glide path....than WHAM! She spun around the prop and dropped straight down into the ground! Man I was a little shocked and a whole lot of pissed. I go over and pick her up, and she only had a scuff mark on the right wing tip! I looked around and could see the airplane gods smiling down on me Anyways at that point I realized at least I used enough glue! Other than that day, I have about 30 other flights on it, and she flies wonderful. Sorry about the novel here, but if you all have any other questions feal free to drop me a line. I am now building a TF Focke Wolf 190 D9, cant wait to see her fly!

Todd
Old 04-01-2002, 02:04 AM
jetmex-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Default Spit covering and pilot

A Williams Bros. 2 1/2 inch pilot ought to fit the Spitfire just fine, I think the scale is 1/9. Hangar 9 also makes some nice pilots in that size, they are little more expensive, though.

Monocote can be painted. Cover the airplane with the lighter of your two colors (either tan or gray, depending on your scheme) then clean the surface really well with alcohol. Scuff it lightly with 00 steel wool, mask off your pattern with some cheap shelf paper, and then paint with either Lustrecote (follow the directions!!) or Rustoleum. Let the paint cure for about a week before exposing to glow fuel and then go fly.
Old 04-01-2002, 06:44 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

windex trick - my first time building a kit, covering one, etc. i decided to use the windex trick... let me tell you it was super easy, just take your time and it comes out great

heres how u do it, easy really, just get some windex and spray it where you want your stripes to go, lightly lay out the stripes, then lightly smooth out the bubbles, after you feel there on good and no bubbles are left on let it sit overnight, then come back and iron over it and there u have it!
Old 04-06-2002, 02:07 PM
ohiomark

Thanks for all the replys!

I think I am going to try the monokote finish. I'll post an image after it's done.

I just got back from the San Diego aerospace museum and saw an original Mark XVI in the same colors that I am going to use, dove gray and olive drab.

Great for inspiration! Wish I had brought my camera! %*&%$#@!