Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

T/F W/B Kits Anyone able to Build them lite?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

T/F W/B Kits Anyone able to Build them lite?

Old 07-01-2003, 07:54 PM
FrankRC1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/F W/B Kits Anyone able to Build them lite?

Has anyone built T/F kits and replaced the balsa that came with the kit with lighter balsa? Have read that the wood that comes with it is not a very lite weight wood. Seems like all of their kits build heavy.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

I dont think its so much the wood but all the crap we add to the aircraft and how we cover it. My TF birds with minimal add ons, CJ retracts, flaps and a 120 cover in mono are fine and fly great. The all up birds I have done with cockpit, scale pilot, drop tanks etc etc and than glassed weigh in at 13+ lbs still fly OK but keep you on your toes. The kits can be lightened a bit with different wood but the only one I have done this with is the tail for the Spit. The big decision you must make is the amount of add ons and how "Scale" you want it to be, that will drive your final wt.
Kirk RC
Old 07-04-2003, 03:39 AM
Azcat59

I built the AT-6 with mechanical retracts, flaps, and glass cloth and epoxy finish. Weight RTF (dry) was 9# 8 oz. It flew "light".

Also built the P-39, flaps, no retracts, glass cloth base and Formula U poly-u finish, RTF 8 # 8 oz.

I didn't think the wood was overly heavy, but probably heavier than I would hand pick.

Clair Sieverling
AMA 15654