Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever build a House of Balsa P-51 .29-.40 kit? Older one no longer made

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Anyone ever build a House of Balsa P-51 .29-.40 kit? Older one no longer made

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Thegreatski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever build a House of Balsa P-51 .29-.40 kit? Older one no longer made

I just bought a House of Balsa P-51 .29-.40 kit off of ebay and I'm so excited about this kit it looks like a really good kit, with great plans and instructions. But I'm kinda a newbie and I'm currently in my great planes .40 corsair kit right now, so it will be on the back burner for awhile, but while it is, I want to gather information about this kit, anyone ever build one?how did if fly?any snags along the way?what was your engine choice, I'm thinkin' small 4 stroke...... but any advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated... Thanks Ski
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52272.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1295642  
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2009, 04:56 PM
salmon-run

Default RE: Anyone ever build a House of Balsa P-51 .29-.40 kit? Older one no longer made

Built one in 1983. A great flyer once it got in the air. Unfortunately our field was grass and it was a 'bear' to get off without nosing over. I had a .40 in it (sure it was an OS). Finally took it to Sheldon's in San Jose to sell....when I got home I had a call that it was gone. Easy build but I remember a lot of small pits in the FG fuselage that had to be filled and sanded. Attached photos were scanned.

Good luck.

Wayne

Name:	jh17196.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1317586   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82917.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1317587  
Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 PM
DaleCS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Anyone ever build a House of Balsa P-51 .29-.40 kit? Older one no longer made

I built one of these back in 79-80, with a K&B 40 and later put in OS FX 46. It was in a state of repair probably more often than flying, and the last landing sealed its fate. I was flying 40-sized pattern aircraft at the time, flying patterns and thinking I was a fairly good pilot - certainly not expert.

This is a very hot airplane, with a tendency to tip stall if one takes off too early. If it tips on take-off, grab a bag. If speed is too slow, it will be over before you can react. If a bit faster, the corrective actions taken with 'per instruction' control surface throws, will likely look violent - your skill level will determine if you need the bag or not.

If one gets it up to speed and off the ground successfully, it is joy to see flying, as it is very fast with a 40 or 46 in it. It is this 'wow' factor and the fact that its no longer in production, that I still have my bag of parts and dreams of putting it back together. If/when I do, I will put retracts on it (a warbird without retracts is just wrong) and will add flaps.

Don't be tempted to take off early, and do land it hot. Consider adding flaps - I expect 20% on take-offf and full on landing would help this bird alot. Could also build in a bit of wing washout to counter the tip stall tendency. Go easy on the aileron input, perhaps using half rates until you are comfortable with it, as it rolls very fast at full deflection.

I have a Byron(Iron Bay) Hellcat, 87" wingspan and I'd say that my Hellcat is much easier to fly than this HOB Mustang.

Treat it like a true warbird - it will bite if you treat it like a trainer/intermediate. Seek assistance for your first flight/trims if necessary always consider getting help when entering a new flying class. It beats rekitting the aircraft.

And if anyone comes across another kit on e-Bay or elsewhere, let me know!
Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At one point our club had a racing class just for them, fun plane to build and fly. We were only allowed a .25 so you had your choice. There isn't a lot of room up front anyway so you have to shoe horn in anything bigger. I still have a couple of my engines, an OS and I think it's an H&S, H&K?? I would have to go out and look. A bit of cutting and sanding to shape things, no big deal. I started using a straight shaft on both sides with U-control bell cranks with the control rod going down and out for the aileron control. The way they have it with the nyrod was/is funcky!! Kind of hard getting fingers in some of the spots but it's a kick to build and fly. Very fast!!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grey Beard,
you are describing the 20 size the 40 size used torgue rods and had plenty of room for a 45 fsr.
watch the control throws as you can induce a high speed stall with too much elevator throw.I had a k&b 40 then a webra 40 then an os 45 fsr.I had fiberglassed the wings and weight was 5 1/4 pounds about a pound heavier than it should be.did really realistic victory rolls/I had no problem with taking off from grass fields.

Name:	Vs55581.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1318768  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
rc4j
My Feedback: (103)

I know, it's an old thread.

For what it's worth to someone, maybe doing a search.....

I finished one of these up around '91 and flew it with a saito .45 four stroke. It flew great, from the few flights I got on it, before I had a tool case fall on it while haulin' it from the flying field, busting up the wing. [:@]

Take-offs were a little tough off of grass. It sat in that state for several years, I finally made the repairs and sold it at my lhs. Really wish I'd kept it afterwards. I finished mine up pretty lightweight, using several coats of polyester resin over the balsa, primer and 21st century paints.

I'd like to have another, but I'd try a different finish on it.

Before and after shots. It looked good as new!

Name:	Zx70910.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1738223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48424.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1738224  
Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 AM
VeeAte

Just bought one of these kits

Not sure what engine to put into it though.

I have a 56 Saito 4c, 46AXII OS 2c or a .70 OS Surpass 4c.

Anyone care to recommend one of those engines?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the easiest things to do is to place the engine over the plans and see how much room you have around the engine. Right away I would forget the 70fs, too much weight and just too big. This kit comes in two sizes. The bigger one lends itself to the .46 very well and there is room for a small four stroke.