Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great planes rv4 kit vs Sig "something Extra"

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great planes rv4 kit vs Sig "something Extra"

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
sleded42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great planes rv4 kit vs Sig "something Extra"

Hi Guys,

Considering building another kit plane. I am considering the sig, "Something Extra" or a Great Planes "RV4". Anyone have any comments, either pros or cons on either of the two kits?

Ed
Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Great planes rv4 kit vs Sig

I just started on a GP Rv-4, looks nice and everything is fine as of now, the sig kit will most likely be higher quality, laser cut ribs and such, but i have never had an issue with die cut kits myself.

Depends on which kind of airplane you want also, i personally just love the full scale rv's, hence why im building one. Im sure the something extra will be much more aerobatic.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

I fly the holy bejeebies out of my GP RV-4 and love every moment of it. I use a Saito FA-56 with a APC 12x6 and its FUN! It is also a good way to learn how to use flaps if you want to, but the plane doesn't need them at all to land. The RV-4 now easily has over 100+ flights. I changed the landing gear to a fiberglas one to raise the airfame up so I could get the prop I wanted, else everything is stock with mfg suggested control surface throws. I also have a SIG Extra 300xs with a Saito FA-180s ... much larger than the "Something Extra" I know, but still the quality should be very similar. The SIG equipment is first class and again, using the mfg specs for surface throws you'll have a great flying machine. Have fun.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I have owned them both and they are first class .40 sized planes but very different airplanes each. The RV4 is just plain fun and fast although it can slow to a crawl with flaps for landing. Amazing what a Magnum .46 can do on this airframe. The SSE on the other hand is not as fast but very manuverable and has no need for the flaps, the airfoil is much thicker and it is primarily a fun fly plane. Both kits are first class with the RV being die cut and the SSE a laser cut and are both good builds.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 AM
sleded42

Thanks for the input guys. I think that I will opt for th rv-4. I am a big fan of scale airplanes myself as I currently have a L4 grasshopper under construction. I find that thre "Great Plnes kits are really not too bad in quality