Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super Sportster .60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Sportster .60

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
GhostRider32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sportster .60

Sometime soon I hope to start my Top Flite warbird build and my son has asked to help me build a plane. He's 7 so I really would rather that he wound not help me on the warbird but instead build a SS .60 with me. For those of you that have built this kit, what did you think? I built the Super Sporster .20 years ago and remember it but is the SS .60 much different? How well does the SS .60 fly? My son is almost done buddy boxing with me on my Four Star .60 so soon he'll be ready for this. Did you guys like this plane? What are you guys thoughts?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:18 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Super Sportster .60

I built my SS 60 a year ago. It was my first 60 sizeed Sportster, but I had built two 40 sized previously.

I didn't notice many differences in the kit, over the years. Assuming that the 20 size is the same. the 60 will build as you remember.

Mine is powered by an OS 91 Surpass. I'm pleased with the performance.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It would be a good build for him to help on. There is a LOT of sanding to be done on the nose area. This would keep the little man busy for quite some time. My only concerne is, it's a lot like the Four Star.
It looks and flys a lot the same. Maybe you should think about a Tiger 60. It also an easy build and would be a little different. Don't get me wrong. the SS is one of my favorite all time planes. I hade one for years with a COMO 60. I still have a 90/120 size SS with a 90. The tiger would just be different.

David
Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a build thread I did on mine: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65..._1/key_/tm.htm

It was a nice airplane to build and fly. It is more of an old-style kit with out all the tab and slot construction you see on newer ones. In a way, I kind of liked that better.

I ended up selling it to a guy north of here. I saw him a couple weeks ago and he says it is still flying great.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM
scale buff
My Feedback: (24)

The .60 SS is one sweet model, both to build and to fly. I finished one this summer and have been flying it for several months. I powered mine with a Kraft .61 and it's very quick. I made two major changes to the kit. I didn't like the four bolt wing mount so changed it to dowels in the front. I also didn't like the main gear in the wing (I built mine as a tail dragger) so I reinforced the area ahead of the wing opening and mounted the gear there. I think you'll enjoy the kit a lot, and it's fun to have your son helping.

Frank T.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 PM
GhostRider32

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to building with my son.

Chuck, where did you get your wing jig and how well do you like it? Would you ever be without it again?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 PM
GhostRider32

Chuch, I looked at your build, it was very nicely done.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:01 AM
ChuckW

The wing jig is from Great Planes. I think it is still available at places like Tower Hobbies. The jig works very well for simple wings like the Super Sportster but definitely is not necessary. You can definitely get nice results on a flat building surface too. To be honest, I don't think I've used the jig since that build.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you spread the elevators out a little to give the rudder more room to swing.........if you are into aerobatics. Also it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the landing gear blocks with some epoxied thin sheets of ply to keep the landing gear torque wire from splitting them. They are prone to splitting along the grain of the block so the ply helps prevent this.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved mine. Point was made about it flying like a 4*, very true but they do stunt a bit better then the 4*, not a lot but there is a difference. It's also a very good looking plane both on the ground and in the air. You guys have fun with the build!!!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
ChuckW

I like the SS better than the 4*. Much better roll rate in stock form, less "floaty" but can still fly rocket fast or nice and slow. It's just a great all around simple sport plane. I might just build another one one of these days.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 AM
GhostRider32

I'm ready to start the build, hopefully within the next month..... On the SS.20, I put 2 HS-82 MG servos in the tail for elevator and rudder. Most likely will bo the same here too.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:52 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My SS 60 built tail heavy. I elongated the nose and powered the model with a91 4 stroke. Even with the longer nose, and heavier motor, I had to put my batteries next to the firewall.

If it were me, I would not put the servos near the rear.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 AM
GhostRider32

I plan on using a Thunder Tiger .91. that should offset most of the weight from HS 82's in the tail. If I were to put them in the middle, then I still have to run golden rods or something similar to the back. Although not as heavy, they still add weight to the tail. It does add extra weight but it's only adding the difference from the servos minus golden rods. The TT .91 is about 4 oz heaver that the Magnum .91 so hopefully it will be ok.