Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultra Sport .40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Ultra Sport .40

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Out in the Stix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Ultra Sport .40

Hey Guys,

I am wondering what everybody would recomend for a second plane. I want something stable but capable of setting the sky on fire. I was thinking of the Great Planes Ultra Sport .40
What do you guys think?
Here is the URL Click Here

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:05 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Dan,
A lot depends on how good you got with your first plane. The Ultra Sport is not hard to fly, but it is generally not what you would use for your second plane. It can get going pretty fast which means you must be 100% confident in your flying ability.

The Four Star is the classic "second" plane and I've seen guys set the sky on fire with them.

Tom
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would tend to agree. I think in many cases you're more likely to demolish a second plane, because now you are trying new things at faster speeds. Find something a little more forgiving.

A Sig 4*, Goldberg Tiger or GP Easy Sport are excellent.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:29 AM
David_Moen

I need to toss in my opinion here. I built this plane as my second aircraft, and first low winger...

It took some getting used to, but I am flying the plane with confidence now. Landing a plane like this is best not learned on your own, they come in alot faster than your trainer and you have to fly them right to the ground. The bolted on wing means that a tumble means that you have some carpentry to do. Mine has proven to be easy to repair

As far as building goes, I had no major problems, even though this was my first kit. Read the directions carefully. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

This plane hauls butt with the retracts stowed, but the retracts have proven to be a major pain in the patootie. Every day of flying means time spent in the shop fiddling with the gear afterwards. This winter they will be coming out of my plane. I entend to reinforce the fuse ahead of the wing and install some rear-swept Aresti-style gear.

On low rates this is an easy plane to fly. On high rates, things get exciting real fast. I still haven't set up 3D rates yet. Its a gorgeous looking plane in the flesh too!