Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Hobbies Uproar 40 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnDartMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That is a pretty good record for number of flights. I have yet to get my new kit out of the box. I have been waiting for parts to become available from the wreckage of my Contender or Razor but that hasn't happened. But I just gave my Razor to my 14 year old so spare parts may just be a weekend away!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:32 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Tower has the UPROAR Kit on sale.....Can get one for $41 with the additional $4.00 off shown here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW1207&P=E

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Uproar Sale.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1986547  

Last edited by RICKSTUBBZ; 04-13-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:21 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

I have started on the next experiment/modification for one of my Uproars.
Since I have to change out the elevator servos on the Purple Uproar – it will be the Guiney-Pig for this change.

I think that I have written before---I’ve never been completely happy with the aileron modification I did on these three uproars. It’s kind of hard to explain but the feel of the ailerons is not linear with speed changes. I have plenty aileron authority at any speed but they just feel weird as if the expo is all out of whack....

So I have decided to build some more conventional ailerons. The biggest bummer is – the plane(s) will loose some of the “distinctive” look. In the spirit of these planes, I am actually looking to loose some more weight. Even if it is just grams....

To start the design off, I calculated the square inches of the existing ailerons. 56 square inches each - by the way. I wanted the new ailerons to maintain the same area because I like the wing loading and how I have the balance point set and don’t want to change it much if I can help it. I am not much of a fan of the flat slab profile either. So I will make these ailerons with an airfoil shape to them.

As to the drawing details, I am going to keep them kind of crude. I’ll do only enough drawing to be able to make them. Plan is so far - the front spar will be made from 1/4" square and the ribs will be 1/16” I have not totally decided how I will do the trailing edge. Where the two ribs are close together will be where the control horn mounts. The dimensions are 3” at the root and 2 1/4" at the tip.

Here are some screen shots of the drawing

Name:	New aileron 05.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1987761   Click image for larger version

Name:	New aileron 01.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1987762   Click image for larger version

Name:	New aileron 02.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1987763   Click image for larger version

Name:	New aileron 03.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1987764   Click image for larger version

Name:	New aileron 04.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1987765  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I'm impressed, CAD drawing and everything. Pretty soon I will be cutting ribs for one. I have a lot of short blocks of balsa I will start ripping as soon as I decide how thick I want the ribs.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnDartMike

Rick: Definitely let us know how the ailerons work out. I wonder if that will also improve response at landing speeds.

Mine is still in the box. If my contender or proud bird bite the dust I'll be building it. Right now I just want to fly....
Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Mike,
No doubt these ailerons should help with slow speed authority in comparison to the stock. There will certainly be more aileron in the prop blast. I hope that is a good thing.
I mentioned before that I think building Dazzler ailerons is even an improvement. That can easily be done with the wood that comes in the kit.
I did not picture the stock ailerons on my drawings. The ones I built originally have one inch more cord at the widest point.
I do understand just wanting to fly. That contendor should hook you up for some rock solid aerobatics and the proud bird I would imagine handles any need for speed.
With out a doubt I'll follow up with the aileron mod progress and flight report.

Gene,
I'm looking forward to you building another of these Uproars. They look so good in the air with those mountains in the background... I sure hope I can make it out that way again sometime...
By the way, go thin on those ribs. Remeber the theme for this one...KEEP IT LIGHT...It will fly so great!
Old 04-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Gray Beard

I haven't forgotten. I will even be cutting lightening holes in them. Just one of the beauty things about constant cord. Easy to just make a hardwood template and use the router table. I just finished the repairs on the Swoose yesterday and have it hanging on the wall now. I will take out the plans and make the template for the wing ribs. I also have enough wood to make up more of the parts. I may also start cutting parts for the Bridi Dirty Birdy too. Whatever can be cut from small blocks, I have blocks in 12 and maybe 18 inches in length and a couple inches thick, a milk crate full of blocks. I'll finally get to use the new micro sander the club bought, it has an oscillating head??? Not a clue why we got it but the club had to spend some money so we got the new Super Duper sander?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

I made some progress on the new ailerons for the purple uproar...

I printed and cut out all the rib drawings then cut and pasted them to some of the scrap balsa from the original kit ribs.

I used this old glue stick to get the paper to stay on the wood – since they are small parts and only 1/16” thick, I cut them out with the Xacto knife just to keep things simple. Then I used a sanding block to touch up the edges.

I did not take pictures – but - Just like when I built the planes originally I jigged up my table saw to pre-cut the leading edge of the front aileron spar. I used 22.5° on each half (top & bottom).

Then the slot locations were measured and marked on the leading and trailing edge material. Using my scroll saw I cut 1/16 deep 1/16 wide slots in the leading edge spar and cut the slots 1/4” deep into the 1/2” wide trailing edge.

Lastly the one aileron is stuck together with no glue so far....

Name:	2014-04-28_02.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	1990875   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-28_01.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	1990876   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-28_03.jpg
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	1990877   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-28_05.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	1990878   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-28_04.jpg
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	1990879  
Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Gray Beard

I just finished cutting the templates for the formers and ribs off the plans Rick gave me. I decided to go through the beginning of the thread to refresh myself on what Rick did during his build. I recalled the ribs dwelled on the crazy and after seeing it I remembered what he did. Crap Rick, they make router bits for that type of thing. Do you recall, that was 6 hours at the drill press then clean up work. I'm just now going through the thought process before I start cutting a kit. I really like the tail feathers on the Dazzler but I'm also going to see how light I can build one of these planes and those feathers are a bit heavier so??
Depending on the finished weight of the plane in the bones I will decide on the engine. I have an old but NIB FOX 40 and also have a couple of .25s on hand.
Once it's in the bones I will decide on the covering. If it looks bad I can hide it, if it looks good I can use some really light weight see through stuff.
I was thinking about hitec hs 81s all the way through it but those are some pretty big ailerons so??
Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Hey Gene,
I am glad you have had the chance to get started on your Uproar...

Your post prompted me to look back on the builds. You know, a bit of craziness, but it all paid off for some really good flying airplanes. Which you got to see fly...Also looking back on the build reminds me of what a good time I had doing this thread.

Do you think you will go with some lightly built up ailerons like the new ones I will/am building for the purple uproar? I think that is the way to go. I’d bet that ole Fox 40 would be great to haul your uproar around...I sure hope you go for it and build a light one.

By the way, what do you thing is different between the upraor and dazzler tail feathers. I think stock, they are exactly the same????
Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ
Hey Gene,
I am glad you have had the chance to get started on your Uproar...

Your post prompted me to look back on the builds. You know, a bit of craziness, but it all paid off for some really good flying airplanes. Which you got to see fly...Also looking back on the build reminds me of what a good time I had doing this thread.

Do you think you will go with some lightly built up ailerons like the new ones I will/am building for the purple uproar? I think that is the way to go. I’d bet that ole Fox 40 would be great to haul your uproar around...I sure hope you go for it and build a light one.

By the way, what do you thing is different between the upraor and dazzler tail feathers. I think stock, they are exactly the same????
I plan on leaving the ailerons the same shape but using some lighter wood, maybe thinner? I was looking at the formers too as I was cutting the templates and just thinking, why not just laminate two 1/6 balsa cross grain for them and add a little more wood in the fuse in the doubler area centered over the sides at the TE. The dazzler has a much more sloped rudder and it has more area. Just adds a better look to it.
I did nothing at all on the roar today, went to Pith Helmit JIms and got the new ignition then came home and wired it up in the Boeing. {wrong} That color blind thing got me. The ignition wires are color coded different then the wires for the pick up on the engine. I will have Sue come out with me tomorrow and tell me what the colors are. Seemed plain to me, a red to red, a white to white but then there is an unknown color wire so I could be all wrong? I got it right on the Brison though but the colors matched. That mystery color messed me up and the red may be brown??
Old 06-30-2014, 04:20 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

I managed to wreck the red uproar a little bit yesterday while playing in the wind.

To add to that, as I was getting it ready to put in the truck, I had it propped up against the wall outside the door. with the transmitter setting next to it. Low and behold it was blown over and fell on the transmitter with one of the sticks poking a hole in the wing covering. I even had thought to myself—better set that plane down before it blows over....

Back to the wreck...I was trying to set the thing on the ground with near zero ground speed after having pulled off some good “kite flying” and even had pulled off flying backwards for a while. I had even pulled off several nice touch –n- goes with very little if any roll out.

Anyway, I didn’t keep up with it on the landing and did a cartwheel with it that resulted in buckling the fuselage. Best I can tell so far, no other damage anywhere else. I’ll make a few thin plywood splints, add some CA to the balsa, patch the covering, and do it all again...Heck in the old days I probably would have just poured a little “ZAP” on it - covered it and called it done.

These two pictures pretty much speak for themselves. The impact popped the covering as well. Made it easy to know it was broke! In picture two here and three below you can make out the trustworthy clear tape repair to the wing.

You can barely make it out in these two pictures where the fuse side is cracked. What is crazy is you can not see any evidence in the cross grain pieces on top and bottom and even while lightly applying pressure, I can’t pull them apart.

The triangle stock that runs the length of the fuse on top and bottom is also cracked and in this shot you can almost see that it is broke exactly at the end of the balsa doubler. Yes....I am sure that big ole hole in the fuse side didn’t help much. But you know....I’d do it all over again....89 flights on it so far and it’s been through the ringer a couple time now.

Here is a couple of pictures from the build to better see where it cracked.

Name:	2014-06-29_01-RED-CARTWHEEL.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	2010155   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29_02-RED-CARTWHEEL.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	515.2 KB
ID:	2010156   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29_03-RED-CARTWHEEL.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	2010157   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29_04-RED-CARTWHEEL.jpg
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	2010158   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29_05-RED-CARTWHEEL.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	2010159   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29_06.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	2010160   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29_07.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	2010161  
Old 07-04-2014, 09:16 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

I started digging into the repair for the red uproar a little and found that I busted both of the motor mounts.

So, on thing lead to another and ....Since the motor mount has to be replaced, now is a good time to put one of my ST40’s on this plane. I had one on the purple uproar for a while. Since I have different muffler and pipe set-ups for the 40 that are much lighter, the plane will need re-balanced. That makes now a good time to confirm where the balance point is and double check to make sure it is the same on all three planes. All I really needed to do was read my notes or this thread. But, I have recently been given a Great Planes Balancer. So, what better chance to check it out. None the less all three planes balanced out at 4-1/16” to 4-1/8” back from the leading edge.

Well, got the red one a little fuzzy. but I wasn't going back to stage another shot.

Name:	DSCF1629.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2011602   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-04_01-balance.jpg
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	2011604   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-04_02-balance.jpg
Size:	541.3 KB
ID:	2011605   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-04_03-balance.jpg
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	2011606   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-04_04-balance.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	664.5 KB
ID:	2011607  
Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Gray Beard

Cliff wanted me to post a photo so here it is. Friends know me for building fast and here I am building one of the fastest planes to build ever designed and it's taking me forever. It will still be built faster then Rick took. Took me two days just to glue the wing halves together. Today I built the stab and elevators. Maybe tomorrow I will build the vertical stab and rudder? I think I will make the rudder counter balanced and shape it longer like the Dazzler?
I have to get to the wood shop and rip more 1/16 sheeting then get a copy of the plans to cut up for the fuse. Getting off my butt and going over to Kinko's may take me another month. Most of this plane will be built with 1/16 sheeting that I rip myself. I was going to buy some of the wood but Michale's and Hobby People seem to think there wood has gold flakes impregnated in it? 3 bucks a sheet, give me a break. A complete kit is only 50 bucks. Not enough wood in it to place an order from National so I'm building it with wood on hand and just cutting it to size. The engine will be a FOX .40, {if it runs} and I keep wondering about the servos? I have a big box of old standards but would like to use micros but the hobby shops wants me to give them money for them.

Name:	2014_0814roar0001.JPG
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2027216  
Old 08-30-2014, 04:40 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Cliff wanted me to post a photo so here it is. Friends know me for building fast and here I am building one of the fastest planes to build ever designed and it's taking me forever. It will still be built faster then Rick took...................
OUCH!!!!!!

Last edited by RICKSTUBBZ; 08-31-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Gray Beard

Just think of how bad Cliff and I would be ragging on your ass with the Jamaica build!!! Ya mon!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:13 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

The Red Uproar is ready for flight once again. It’s looking a little more tattered and battered. But it should fly just fine.

The new style ailerons for the Purple Uproar are still on the work bench about half done...

As I mentioned - I decided to put one of my ST40’s on it with the light weight “MAC’s” muffler. As I showed in post 901, these mufflers are over three ounces lighter than the stock ST mufflers.

So, I relocated the engine on the new motor mounts and was surprised at how much difference 3 ounces on the nose made. As you can see here I had to mount the thing all the forward and the balance point is still about 3/8” further back than what it was. That puts it just shy of 4 – 1/2" back from the leading edge.

I’ll fly it like it is because I flew the purple uproar a bit with this engine/muffler set up but the engine was all the way back to the firewall. At the time that one checked out with the balance point 4 - 3/4" back from leading edge.

Name:	2014-08-30_RED REPAIR_01.jpg
Size:	678.0 KB
ID:	2027228   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-30_RED REPAIR_02.jpg
Size:	717.4 KB
ID:	2027230   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-30_RED REPAIR_03.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	615.0 KB
ID:	2027231  
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Man it makes me want to busy out my spare Uproar kit!!!!! My old Uproar #1 has such brittle Monokote it may explode in the air!!! Time to build a new one or recover it! Looking good there Gene!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:57 AM
Gray Beard

Just recover it Cliff, you don't want to end up like Rick and I with Roars all over your shop.I had so many of them at one point that Sue came out to the shop and took one look at this wing and said, another Up-Roar?? I haven't built one in about 10 or 15 years and gave the last one away in 06 when I moved here. I was really surprised she could recognize the wing when still in the bones.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM
Gray Beard

I did make some changes to the vertical stab and rudder. Counter balanced rudder and both the stab and rudder are quite a bit bigger. I just added some length to the stab to compensate for the 1/2 inch I removed from the top. I can still add the 1/2 inch I removed, thinking about it?
Time to go to the wood shop and run everything through the new micro over head sander we got this year. Not any better then the old one we replaced but it does have an oscillating head?? Not a big deal but the club had to get rid of some money and upgrading tools is how we do it.

Name:	2014_0815roar0002.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2027462   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_0815roar0004.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2027466  
Old 08-31-2014, 05:45 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Yeah it would be VERY difficult for me to trash my very first Uproar! I dont really enjoy taking covering off of a model... pain it the butt!!!! I really think the counter balances are a great idea! I still dont know why I dint do it on my second Uproar with larger control surfaces... Which BTW, didnt make a hell of alot of difference in how it flies! I will be curious to hear your flight report. I would still like to try an electric Uproar if I can figure out where to place the battery... I am kind of surprised nobody else sort of rode this thread for a few other Uproars!!!! Such an awesome airplane and the wing is a work of art! It hauls ass!!! and then slows down like a trainer! Then the aerobatics are just stupid!!! (in a good way) The ONLY fault I can find is IMHO, a too short fuselage, maybe a couple of extra inches might ake it fly a little better. No matter, I love my Uproars!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM
Gray Beard

Other then knife edge it does everything else pretty good. Never going to compete with a pattern plane but a pattern plane can't do a lot that the Roar will. The fuse moments are a bit short.
I didn't want to fly yours or Ricks at that time and it has been almost 9 years sense I flew one so I won't be a good one to judge if I have made any real changes or not? Hard to improve perfection in a fun fly plane!!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:29 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Other then knife edge it does everything else pretty good..............
It is now my mission to get video of my uproars flying knife edge....they can do it...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:20 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Default Red flies again....

The Red Uproar flies again. Put a few flights yesterday. It’s sporting the ST40 that was on the purple uproar for a while. Running the black “MAC’s” muffler with a 11X6 Turnigy prop. It flew fine balanced as I mentioned post 967.

Rod volunteered to play cameraman for me and caught a little video. As you can see in the video we needed to get in a hurry to get it done due to the approaching thunderstorm. Never did get any rain at the field that I know of - but toward the end of the flight the wind kicked up really bad and I got in a hurry to get the plane on the ground. That parts not in the video though....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0JSux6FfOM&feature=youtu.be
Old 09-14-2014, 11:56 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Lightbulb Aileron mods/experiment - update

You know, it could be my computer but this is my third try to get this post in this thread......

I have done a little more work on the new ailerons for the purple uproar. Now keep in mind these are an experiment in design and build techniques and certainly not something you would generally see on a quick build fun fly airplane like the uproar. But at the same time what better airframe to test design and build techniques...If they live through how I treat my Uproars they will work for anything...

Here is the main structure completed. Leading edge is 1/4” X 1/4” as you see it and the trailing edge is 1/16”X1/2”. As mentioned in post 958 I slotted the leading and trailing edges so the ribs would fit into them for more strength and glue area. The diagonal ribs were cut and fit individually. The weights and what not are to keep everything flat as the glue dries. At this stage the ailerons are definitely fragile.

In this set of pictures the hinge doublers have been added, the solid stock for the control horn has been added between the two ribs that are close for that reason. The everything was carefully sanded to blend and be flat across the top (and bottom) surfaces.

I used my ole master airscrew balsa stripper and a piece of glass to make some 1/16” thick by .200” and 3/8” wide “cap strip” material.

In the last two pictures, one aileron has been finished out on one side and the other has not for comparison. I have cut, fit, and glued tip and inside edge sheeting - glued the 1/16X3/8 to the leading edge and the .200 (just over 3/16”) wide to the trailing edge, covered the control horn block and added .200 wide capstrips to ribs. Will do that to both sides.

Name:	DSCF1666.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	472.3 KB
ID:	2031887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1665.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	2031888   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1670.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	2031889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1667.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	2031890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1669.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	2031891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1672.jpg
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	2031892   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1671.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	2031893   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1674.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	2031894  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1673.jpg
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	2031895  

Last edited by RICKSTUBBZ; 09-14-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: to go advanced!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.