Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Ziroli 87" Stearman

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Ziroli 87" Stearman

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:15 AM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ziroli 87" Stearman

I'm getting parts & pieces together for a Ziroli 87" PT-17... I'm going to have someone else build it because I don't have the skills or time, but I do have a lot of questions... appreciate some advise from all of you with those skills!

Short kits are available direct from Ziroli, or from other kit cutters.... is there a reason to consider a third party cutter over Ziroli? I would like to go with a full kit, but looks like most suppliers are doing short kits and leaving the sticks up to the builder.

Paint Masks - where do I turn for a paint mask for the graphics? The plane will be paint over Solartex, and I'd rather have painted on graphics instead of vinyl. Can the vinyl cutters just cut the adhesive backing to use as a mask?

Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli 87

Precision Cut Kits will supply you with a full wood kit. http://www.precisioncutkits.com/instock.html

Get Stencils will make any vinyl mask that you desire. http://www.getstencils.com/
Old 11-07-2009, 07:23 AM
reyn3545

Thanks!

I had found Precision Cut Kits earlier, but didn't get an answer back from them for a while.... Looks like they do have the kit, so I'll probably go with them.

Pulling all these pieces together is getting to be expensive! I should have learned my lesson by now about getting a "deal" on a motor, then trying to find the right plane for it! This should be a nice plane though, when its done.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:37 PM
reyn3545

I got the motor delivered today... Saito 450. Looks great, can't wait to hang it on something!
Old 07-05-2020, 06:50 PM
OldBill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know that your thread has been up a while

I got hold of Precision Cut Kits in order to get the 87” Ziroli short kit.
They told me that their partner who actually cut the kits was no longer doing business with them and that they were in the process of gathering the equipment in order to do all of their cutting “In House”.
i am sure you have already learned this but am just letting you know.
I ordered my kit from National Balsa. I am hoping to get it soon. It is obviously a large project. I just hope I get it built within a year. Pretty ambitious for me.
i have the gear and the plans. I need to get the covering and paints but am a very long way from needing it 😆.
i do need to decide on an engine and am seriously considering a radial. You have definitely chosen a good one.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:48 AM
grassie

Does anybody make a scale cockpit for this kit? I am busy building a stearman.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 AM
OldBill

Default Scale cockpits

There must be someone making these.
I need to know also. I have seen some very fine details on some planes. I could make up one myself but it wouldn’t be “right”.
With this modern new fangled 3D printing technology You would think many components for a cockpit might be available. Enough “standard” components scaled to any scale needed to put together a reasonable rendition.
If you find anything let me know. I’ll do the same.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:39 AM
grassie

Sorry for hi jacking your thread but I thought it will be a good idea to share ideas. If you dont want this please feel free to delete.
Ok, so I haven't found anything yet and decided to go ahead and make my own stuff with scraps of balsa and whatever I can find in my workshop.The problem is to keep the weight down.
I made 2 seats by gluing some thin balsa together. I used a picture from the internet that didn't look to complicated. I know it is not very scale but the next guy won't know, I hope.
I am planning to make "running boards of balsa as well. Will post a pic as soon as I painted them. Then is on to the instrument panel. I am going basic, Like the old planes. I still need to cut the seat belt slots and make those pesky belts.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:47 AM
OldBill

Default Looks Great.

Really
Old 03-04-2021, 12:29 AM
grassie

@ oldbill. Aerocockpit does a good instrument panel. I sent him the measurements as the stock is either 1/4 or 1/5 scale and this plane is slap between at 22.5%. I will post pics as soon as it arrives.