Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Why Clip the Wing???

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Why Clip the Wing???

Old 11-09-2009, 06:18 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Clip the Wing???

I am going to start a build of a Tiger 60 soon and Ihave read alot of build threads on many model types here. I have seen where several builders clip their wings by one or more bays. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of doing this? I am not what would be called a "good" pilot yet so if the reason is to make an a/c more manuverable Ido not think that is a mod for me. Floating in on the landing is OK with me.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Why Clip the Wing???

The Tiger 60 is perfect just as is.

i wouldn't modify a thing
Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50

Floating in on the landing is OK with me.
Then don't change a thing. I'd only clip the wing if I wanted it to fly like a heavier airplane. BTW heavy airplanes suck.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
outdoorhunting

Clipping the wings will almost eliminate the "floating" when landing which can kinda be a pain. Also, it will usually increase the "roll rate" on most planes. If you're not sure you want to do that ( being a new pilot). What you could do, while building is; put an extra hinge in each wing. Place it so at a later date (if wanted) you could cut off the end bay of each wing & you would have a "clipped wing". By the time you're ready to do that, you will probably be a little bored with the slugish flying of the plane & the shorter wing would give ya a "new, different flying" plane. Do a search here on RCU for any "bash" on a 4 Star 60 or 40, there are a bunch of threads on doing what we are talking about. Good Luck !!!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Goldberg Cub floats BEAUTIFULLY with the clipped wing.

Ok, I was hoping to avoid going into this long dissertation on Cub wings, but I see it's time to repeat it.

Here is the story of the Airplane whose wing was too big....

Back in the 1920's they designed the Piper Cub. The idea behind this plane was that its designers envisioned that everyone in the country would someday own one, fly it to work, the grocery store, etc.

To make it affordable, they put a very small, inexpensive engine in it. In order for this tiny engine to get an airplane off the ground, they had to make the wing BIGGER THAN IT WOULD NORMALLY BE. So now, this little engine could get this airplane off the ground.

The problem was, it was under powered and that HUGE wing created a lot of adverse yaw.

By the 1930's, the dream of everyone owning one went away when they realized that very few people had runways in their backyard (Not to mention at their grocery stores), but a lot of pilots had them - and they were due for periodic overhauls. Some of these pilots realized that if they put a REAL engine on it, they could "Clip" the wing down to a NORMAL size and relieve some of the adverse yaw and other undesireable effects of that "Wing that is too big".

Unfortunately, now people think that Clipping the wing from the original design is making a radical modification to a good plane. In reality, the original wing was intentionally designed to be TOO BIG and the clipped wing is the correct size.

Now granted, some people have radically clipped wings on various aircraft, but the clipped version of the Goldberg Cub wing is the ideal size for that airplane.

Try it, you'll like it!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

i tend to like the idea of experimenting with four stars and goldberg tigers. if you have flown one already and want to play with the next build you can do that. thats what makes kits so much better to me. the ability to experiment from the ground up. clip dont clip change what you wish or dont. thats the best part of kits. what makes certain kits so great is an ability to be a base platform for that experimentation like the four star and tigers. would like to see a tiger 2 with a v tail and clipped wing.