Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where to buy airplane kits?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where to buy airplane kits?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:30 AM
srdic_marko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy airplane kits?

Hi everybody,
I’m little bored from all ARF airplanes, and I would like to build airplane from the Kit.
It will be so nice, like in the old days, you build and fly your own machine.
I tried to search on Google for ARF manufacturers, but whiteout any success.[&o]
I would like to build Biplane, like Ultimate or Pitts in 50cc or bigger size.
Can someone please help me to find manufacturer of the RC airplanes kits.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where to buy airplane kits?

These may not be specific to your size, but you can find out about all sorts of kit manufacturers here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8132568/tm.htm]Where have all the kits gone?[/link]
Old 11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
grimmy55

why not take up the challenge and scratch build ,,buy a plan and start from the wings/fuselage up then you are really building to finish of cover in silk and paint ,that way you can really say you build ,none of this getting it right first time with a kit
Old 11-11-2009, 02:14 PM
srdic_marko

grimmy55 Building the planes from the scratch like back in the good old days, yes that will be nice also.
But it will help me a lot if I can get at least parts from plywood already precut, some half kit or how you name it.
Deadeye thank you for the link.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I went to the thread suggested and there are lots of kits and some are really great and a few to steer clear from but I wont publicially say anything .however get a short kit say from nick zirloi or jerry bates hostetler and just build.I am finishing a spacewakler and already thinking maybe a warbird.topflight gold edtion are supposed to be good and theres a few build threads on here that can help you in the process.I personally cant pound a nail straight but working with balsa I can for some odd reason create nice looking planes.maybe its the scale or ease of working with balsa.whatever I love constructing the plane as much as flying it.there really is alot to build and if you can scratch build from a set of good plans I think the sky is the limit.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM
LunaSea

not much left on the kit market these days. The "big guys" are BalsaUSA, Great Planes, and Sig... Several smaller manufacturers around, most have very limited line (Bridiairplanes, Air Flair, Arizona Aircrafters, etc.) and the plans sellers shohave "short kits" available. BUSA kits are quite good, but most are not "performance" planes, mostly WWI scale.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Nathan_L

Even some of the traditional kit makers are getting hard to get kits from. Try calling SIG and you'll get answers like next May on some of the popular kits. I'm not a big kit builder as I either do an ARF or scratch build. But I like having some kits to fill in. Right now I'm deep in the middle of a scratch build and waiting on some parts so I wanted a kit to throw in real quick and get it done. Wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to just find a spot kit and I finally found what I was looking for in a hobby shop and no telling how long it had been there.

The beauty of a full kit is it's all right there. Throw in some radio gear, and engine you have on hand and for the most part you are done. While cutting parts for my current scratch - a Ziroli Stuka I had to wait 3 months to get some sizes of balsa in stock at all the major balsa suppliers. Plus you don't have to track down a cowl or make your own etc.....

Each has it's bonus. It's also hard for new builders to start with a scratch because most scratch plans don't have much in the way of instructions other than maybe a sequence etc...

Trends been going on for a while. It's drastically changed even in the last 3 years or so. You really have to track them down. Even places where people traditionally order like Tower is down to pretty much selling brands that Hobbico owns like GP/Goldberg etc...
Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: grimmy55

why not take up the challenge and scratch build ,,buy a plan and start from the wings/fuselage up then you are really building to finish of cover in silk and paint ,that way you can really say you build ,none of this getting it right first time with a kit
Back in the day we didn't buy plans and call it scratch building, we got out or paper and pencils then used rulers or the good old vemco drafting machine to design our planes. As magazines started running more and more aiticles on different builds we were able to order plans and life got simpler. Plans building is nothing more then using the plans and cutting your own kit. Most of my own planes today are still plans built but I really like it when I can find a nice kit to build, just makes life that much easier. It would be worth your time to go look in the plans section of RC Modeler's plans department, Model Airplane News Plans and even the AMA web site has plans. Anyone that can build a kit can build from plans, nothing hard about it plus you can take your plans to Kinko's and have them printed out to most any size you would like. When you buy magazine plans they also come with the articles that showed you how it was built, not instructions but more of a guide. Wood is cheap too, look up Lone Star Balsa and check them out. Tools that make plans building easy are the scroll saw and a sander, not a must have but a big help.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
carlgrover

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I buy all my kits at swap meets.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I,ve bought several kits off RCU members off the RCU market place. So far so good . I just picked up a BTE Venture60 and am a happy camper .
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
dignlivn

Look up,

AMR Aircraft Modelers research.com

Dalton Aircraft.com

They aint cheap btw,

Bob
Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am just finishing a Nosen Gere sport bipe. Its huge and awesome. I am putting a DA 50 in it. A little over powered but my last one was a bit under powered. You have to make some mods to make it fit but thats not hard. There was one on ebay last week, don't know if it is still going or not but its huge and a lot of wood. If you can get it under $300 it is a good deal. Remember, big means lots of covering. I have close to $300 in monokote on mine to do the scheme I wanted. Cool plane though and they fly so sweet!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Scratch building in the old days nothing, how about now. Here is a pic of Extra 260 I am almost finished with.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29339.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1313186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72274.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1313187  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: sensei

Scratch building in the old days nothing, how about now. Here is a pic of Extra 260 I am almost finished with.

Bob

Bob,

Now your talking,tell us more about it please.

Bob
Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 PM
catracer343

Wholly lumberyard batman! [X(]
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 AM
GhostRider32

Bob
Wow, you definately show your skills.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 AM
srdic_marko

Sensei Bob, respect man!!!
You can sit in it and fly that thing dude!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

Bob

Bob,

Now your talking,tell us more about it please.

Bob
This airplane is a 55% Extra 260, the wing span is 164" and the length of the fuse is 144" I designed this airplane to have an all up finished weight of 44 to 50 lbs. so that it can be flown in the normal AMA catagory with a 170 cc to 212 cc powerplant. the weight of the airframe as showm assembled in the picture is 23.5 lbs. I am planning on the maiden flight sometime in late January of 2010. Kits of this will available through www.aerotechrcmodels.com shortly after the maiden flight.

Bob
Old 11-13-2009, 08:37 AM
zipnsplat
My Feedback: (33)

Hey guys,

I've been searching for kits myself the past few weeks, and didn't realize that you could still order from Midwest! I don't know if everyone knows this or not, I sure didn't. I thought Midwest had long discontinued their kits. Even when you go to their website, it's not obvious where to go.... Here's the link that shows all their kits that are still available, and I must add, at great prices. I ordered the Extra 300XS last night. I hope it's not a mistake on their website and they really do have all these kits in stock.

http://shopmidwestproducts.com/-strs...Categories.bok

Wasn't sure if everyone knew this or not, but hadn't seen them mentioned, and wanted to throw it out there. I'll update this post if it turns out to be an error on their site!

Thanks,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27236.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1313364  
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM
dignlivn

Thanks for the info. Would love to
see a video of the Maiden, good luck.

That is one giant scale plane.

Bob
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

Just called Midwest, They no longer produce any airplane kits. Thats what i was told by their customer service.
However they did have some still in the warehouse. I just ordered 2 Stearman kits, so i suggest if someone wanted to order a kit from them, call and find out if they have any in stock first.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

if you like pattern ships go to Eureka Kits they have tony bentis trouble maker ,don lowes phoneix 7 and compensator tiger tail. among several.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 PM
jet22b

Hi All

Here is a link to a site that sell some of Bridi kits
http://www.bridiairplanes.com/index.html
He was big in the 70's and 80's!! I know, I built a lot of his kits and love flying every one of them!!!

Sonny
Old 11-15-2009, 08:18 PM
cdbtx

Anyone familiar with Precision Cut Kits?  I'm considering building the Ziroli Stuka and saw their link on Ziroli's website..

Chuck
Old 11-16-2009, 05:48 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCK offers great kits They come, well packed, and the parts are sorted in groups according to their usage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.