Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tower Fun 51

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tower Fun 51

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:14 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Fun 51

I am considering building one of these and adding retracts. Bought two of these last winter and built a P82 twin that just flies great. I have an extra set of new plans, but the kit is so reasonably priced I would just purchase a new kit.

Anyone made this mod to this plane?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Tower Fun 51

Hey I am glad to see your post! I built one Uproar and am building another right now, I was considering making a twin Uproar but I was also considering using the Fun 51 kit or kits in this case. Do you have pics of the fun 51 twin??? I would really love to see them !!!! I was also thinking about your idea of adding retracts... with the tank hanging out there in the profile style and the fact that is has such a thick wing, I am not sure you would gain much speed to be honest. It might look pretty cool though. I am about 99% sure it is the same wing as the Uproar and really also the Dazzler, why mess with perfection? I consider the Uproar to be one of the best if not the best sport Aircraft ever. Oh what engines did you use on your Fun 82 twin? I have a couple of great running Supertiger .29's but am wondering if that is enough? I also think 2 GMS.47 engines might be overkill!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:34 AM
bps

Here is a link to the P-82 project. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_76...tm.htm#7610196
I used two OS LA .46's and a JR Spectrum radio. Flaps are useless and better left off. I changed the fuse length and wingspan on the P-82. Wings plug in outboard of the fuse's. I cut new plywood for the outer skin on the fuse all the way to the nose. Mounted HS81 servos on the fuse behind the motors for the throttle control. The 46's are wayyyyyy to much motor for this plane but the throttle works! Hee Hee! A pair of strong .28 or .32's would be ideal and use much less fuel in the process. In any event a cheap twinn with lots of wow factor at the field.

In terms of retracts for the Fun 51, just something to play with. I have a cheap set from a Chinese arf and will use those, they fit perfect and would mount in the rib bays between the servo ribs and wheels would retract just short of the fuse. I am going to just order another kit and build it stock except for the retracts. I plan on using the Magnum .52 four stroke. Maybe a build thread. I could cut my own kit but that is a lot of work and for less than $50 I can buy the kit.

Also I designed a Little Ugly Stick for a design contest over in the 1/2 a forum. Trying to get the short kits done for a few folks that wanted them. Lots of little details to work out! I plan on a P-51 profile build for the .10 size gas in that forum and if the 51 flies well then a P82 based on two .10's.

Let us know how the twin works out for you, they are attention getters. I wish I had documented the changes to mod the Fun into a twin. Let me know if I can help.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Daddyo57

I really like your twin Mustang U-82? it is simply awesome! I may be inspired now! I am thinking it might be worth it to just buy 2 kits rather than scratch build (not that I mind) but they are inexpensive. I assumed the Uproar and the Profile Mustang were based on the same wing but after looking at your pics I dont think so now, similar yes. Now I have to ask.... where are the fuel tanks? I thought on the profile Mustang it was just hanging out in the breeze like most of the 3-D type models... it looks MUCH better without the fuel tank/tanks on the side. I may go ahead with my Uproar twin since you did the Mustang which was my original plan... and I know where the tanks are on that one!!! Again, great job on the twin and I am thinking the 2 .29 Supertigers might just be dandy. Does the regular Profile Mustang fly well? it looks as if it would fly great. You should definitly do a build thread on the Mustang with retracts !!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:11 AM
bps

The fuel tanks are not installed on the plane in the photo. They still mount just behind each motor on the oposit side of the fuse. Placing them in the wings would work for a smaller tank but I chose 6 ounce tanks. In my opinion this is just the lower limit in terms of capacity. One thing ya do not want to do is run out of fuel and have to deal with that as well. Another thing I wound up having to change was the motor mounted with the muffler up. I did this so that both cylinder heads would be pointing out to the wing tips. Bad idea as it made the port motor flood. They are both now mounted in the traditional style. Placing the tanks in the wings would come with problems of its own. Just removing them would be a task and if they leak......kiss the plane goodby. The Fun51 design is primarily a fun fly design so they fly well and are forgiving. I expect the retract version will be a sweetheart! Build thread, maybe.

I also have two scale projects and am being persuaded to build a 30% scale prototype to fly in scale comp next year. Helping with plans and laser files on that. Also have a .10 powered Mustang profile design to build and then a twin .10 P82 off of that! Life is a bunch of pressure! Ha
Old 11-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Daddyo57

Yes it is pressure indeed but good pressure when it comes to building our toys!!!! you had me going on the fuel tanks!!! LOL I agree, simple is best. I like the idea of the .10 twin mustang too!!! I imagine it would sound really good too. You sound like you have fun! it is good to be able to build then fly something you made, some people are just happy with an ARF or flying an airplane someone else built as long as you are having fun it is all good in my book, like riding motorcyles... I have a KAOS .40 (Bridi) that a friend built years ago and unfortunatly he died a few years ago, I am honored to fly this beauty as I respected his building ability and he also taught me the fine points of doing Monokote details. I am really jazzed about the Uproar twin, do you think the .29s would be adequate then? I know i get I 9x6 ABC prop at about 14.500 rpm out of them and they are reliable as heck once you get the tricky Supertiger carbs figured out. Do you feel 8.5 inches netween the fuselages is too close? I want them as close as possible if I do get a flameout and I will make the rudders quite a bit taller to get more authority for one engine landing(as opposed to flying like that!) You would like the Uproar if you like the Mustang! I am for trying the Mustang soon myself. I have the Uproar plans scanned in PDF in case I want to scratch a couple of them up as in making the Twin. the price is very reasonable though and i am not sure I would save much if anything by doing it all myself. I am going to build a SIG Astro Hog after I finish this Uproar (the regular one) about Christmas or a couple weeks before I hope to get the kit, I have always wanted a Hog and I have a sweet running Saito .80 to put on it.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 AM
bps

Those motors should be plenty. The important part of a twin is the distance between the prop tips. Not sure what the formula is but my rule of thumb is 1/2 diamter of the largest prop you will use, this would become the measurement between prop tips. I would build with no thrust and then shim the motors to have a bit of outthrust (toward the wingtips). I would do my test flights with motors at 0/0 though. Maybe an experienced twin designer could chime in on prop seperation formulas for models.