Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4*40 First Time Builder

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*40 First Time Builder

Old 07-06-2003, 09:33 PM
FatCat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*40 First Time Builder

hey guys, I decided to take the leap and try my hand at building! It seemed like everyone was recommending the 4*series for a first time builder. Everything looks straightforward but I have one question.

In step 4 it mentions to install pre-cut balsa shear webs in each rib bay. The problem is I find no trace of these pieces anywhere in the kit. Even on the inventory sheet (where it shows all pieces drawn out) there is no mention of them. Do I have to go out and buy some balsa and make my own? Or am I just missing something here? Thanks
Old 07-06-2003, 09:40 PM
flianbrian

Mine came in two stacked bundles (a set for each wing) wrapped in clear plastic. It might look like a couple of blocks of wood that way. Look again!

flian'
Old 07-06-2003, 09:46 PM
FatCat

Brian, you are a genius!!! ok, note to self..... Never put the hardware and canopy away in the other room because you don't think you will need it yet, it might possibly contain the parts you are looking for!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2003, 11:24 PM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Default 4* 40

Sweet Build, Sweet Plane. Can do some good modifications on them as well.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:34 AM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

I am building one also, look at this site
http://www.renderwurx.com/rc/sig4star/

cool looking one, I am going to sheet the turtle deck also, but porbably not go into the balsa cowl looks cool though.

While building add ply to the fusalage starting from the 2" of the rear of the wing, my fellow members told me that he had borken his from that place 5-6 times, till he added ply.

also I am going for a tail wheel assembly to keep my rudder free.

what engine are you puting in?, I have a 46FX going in.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:05 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by Cobra78
[B]I am building one also, look at this site
http://www.renderwurx.com/rc/sig4star/
Definately a cool looking plane. That site is the main reason why i picked it as well. The custom cowl looks sharp!

I got half a wing done so far...
Old 07-09-2003, 12:49 PM
Burrito Bandito

Building one now. Both wings framed and sheeted from main spar forward. Fuse is pretty much done with sheeted turtle deck, and I am constructing a fuel tank hatch from F2 forward. I cut the cheeks off and will be fabricating a cowl. Got it roughed out last night and I think it will do nicely. Will have two aileron servo's and tail wheel assembly.

Also thinking about doing the sleek canopy from the renderwurx site. At the very least, it will be cut down some. Should be done in a week or two.

It's gonna be a fun plane!

John
Old 07-09-2003, 03:12 PM
DrFun

Default how do you sheet the wing

Simple question but for sheeting the wing from main spar to the LE did you just sand the W-2 ribs to the size of W-1 ribs and sheeted?
Old 07-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Burrito Bandito

Cobra,

I did it the wrong way. For weight, I used 1/32" balsa and went all the way back to the main spar. Where the two different sets of sheeting come together, I sanded and filled. Lot of cosmetic work though.

I think the best way would be to sand the w2's down to W1 size. Keep in mind that when you do this, you will loose the tab notches that are on W2 for the trailing edge sheeting. No big deal really, but keep that in mind.

Ultimately, I will build another wing for this plane and use all W1 size ribs. Already cut the templet. For now though, I will use the one I have built. It's sound, straight etc., so there is no sense in not using it.

Hope that helps.

John
Old 07-09-2003, 03:35 PM
DrFun

Thanks for the info, I am done with the wings sanded the LE so I will not do it now, I too have the templates of W-1 and w-2 just incase if I need new wing or wings, I might go with the sheeting.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Saberjock

Perhaps you'd consider making a few mods to this already pretty good plane. Many have done these and it seems to improve the flying.

Put real ailerons in the outbard 1/2 of the wing served by a micro (HS 81) for each'

Enlarge the tail feathers.

Shift the horizontal stab to the bottom of the fuse.

My 4* flies with no rudder/roll coupling, has very crisp roll and good snap.

BTW I fly it on 18 Sanyo 2600 NiMH cells and a MaxCim brushless.