Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

modern smaller pattern plane kit??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

modern smaller pattern plane kit??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM
maynardrupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modern smaller pattern plane kit??

I put this on the pattern forum also...I am looking for a modern design pattern plane kit the size of a Focus Sport or a VenusII. Both of these are ARFs and I enjoy building almost as much as flying. I would like to use an OS120AX or the OS 4 cycle 120 for power. The YS engines are fine but costly and use 30% nitro which is also costly.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: modern smaller pattern plane kit??

ORIGINAL: maynardrupp

I put this on the pattern forum also...I am looking for a modern design pattern plane kit the size of a Focus Sport or a VenusII. Both of these are ARFs and I enjoy building almost as much as flying. I would like to use an OS120AX or the OS 4 cycle 120 for power. The YS engines are fine but costly and use 30% nitro which is also costly.
YS does not require 30% nitro, most people only use 15%. Where did this myth ever get started?? If you were over at the pattern site you can go into the classic and ask Raindave, he keeps up with most everything going on in the world of pattern. He was taking a break for a while but he may be back.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will find that most quality 4 cyclers (YS, Saito, OS etc...) will run great on 30%. I prefer it with my 4 cycle engines... YS gets an advantage in power because some of their engines use a compression box, similar to a blower where it compresses air and nitro before it enters the cylynder for ignition. But as Grey Beard siad you don't have to use 30%

You should see my somthin extra going vertical with a saito 82 on 30% lol, balistic missle straight up. Really rediculous! I also use 30% in my Saito 100 on my GP Extra 300...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Astonishingly there are not a lot of pattern plane kits in the mainstream market at least ones that u would like to see in your local hobby shop. Arfs yes…

I’m setting out to build my King Kobra which is a 70’s pattern plane. Not the best design but not bad from what I’m told and Sig is still making the kits. There are 3 sizes Kobra ,30. Kougar, 46. King Kobra, 60. Seems to be a fairly straight forward build. There are a number King Kobra of build threads here. Including mine which I just started. Go look at experimentalaviator’s his is very nice.

I believe it was doxilla who is (or some one he knows) selling tiporare (80's pattern plane) short kits and plans. I'm seriously thinking about it. He posted a pic of one in my King Kobra build thread.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.bridiairplanes.com/hangar/bigdirtybirdy.html

Here you go...
Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM
dhal22

there are dozens upon dozens of classic era pattern (short) kits available. just inquire in the classic forum.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:53 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CA Models epselon or the Widebody 60
Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Gray Beard

This is a shot of my Ariel, it's a 2M pattern plane, you didn't state what you thought of as a small one. It was designed in 1994 and they are still being used today. The mold for the fuse is still around and every now and again some kits show up. I have a closet full of plans for pattern planes but they are all older designs like the Bridis but they are in 60 size. If you look at the plans section in Model Airplane News there are some nice plans but most of them are older designs. Anything over about 5 years in Pattern is an older design, it's one of the few RC sports that is still always changing and new planes are getting designed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89661.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1331697  
Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 PM
maynardrupp

My Ultra Sport 60 is just like the older classic pattern planes. In fact the wing is the same as a Kaos. I really would like a more modern pattern plane like the Epsillon 60 for example. That is a good example of what I am looking for. The VenusII or Focus Sport would be perfect except that they are ARFs. I may have to go that way but I am looking into the Epsilon.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Gray Beard

I think you are going to be out of luck when looking for kits in the 60 size. I looked at the MAN plans and they have a set of plans for the Atlas that is just built up construction. I often cut my own kits, very easy but I stink at cutting foam or I may have built there Curare. Modern planes?? Not really but there is form in function. The Ultra Sport is Grand Son of Kaos and an outstanding plane, a bit of bashing and you would have your own design.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 PM
maynardrupp

You are probably Gray Beard. Actually, the engine I want to use is an OS120AX. I guess I wasn't clear on that. It looks like the only great choices are the VenusII ARF and the Focus Sport ARF. I can't find a price for the Epsillon 90 and it might be a bit small for the 120AX. Comments about the Focus Sport seem to say that the VenusII is better built. I do like the through tube method of mounting wings though. I guess life is full of compromises eh?
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Gray Beard

I think if you look around for posts from gaRC, Joe, you can ask him a lot more about the combo of the 120AX and the Venus, as I recall that was one of the combos he was using so he could tell you a little about it. A lot depends on what you are going to use the plane for too. Joe is using his for pattern flying but if you just want a nice plane for weekend flying I would still take a look at teh MAN plans. When you go to Kinko's to get a copy of the plans there are no rules that state you have to make them at 100%. I have even been known to change the size once or twice. I have even been known to redesign some plans to suit my needs. It's one of the ways I have been able to avoid ARFs. Cutting my own kits from the plans only takes an hour or so with a scroll saw and sander. I get my wood from Lone Star Balsa. It's just another choice, not for everyone.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I think you are going to be out of luck when looking for kits in the 60 size. I looked at the MAN plans and they have a set of plans for the Atlas that is just built up construction. I often cut my own kits, very easy but I stink at cutting foam or I may have built there Curare. Modern planes?? Not really but there is form in function. The Ultra Sport is Grand Son of Kaos and an outstanding plane, a bit of bashing and you would have your own design.

My thoughts are in this direction.

Possible mods:

Two piece wing with incidence adjusters

Airfoiled stabs

Dual-hedral (?) wing just like the Goldberg Extra

Play with airfoils but keep it the same basic design

Turn it into a mid-wing

Round the bottom of the fuse

Add some functional caracter to the nose and conceal an inverted 4 or 2 stroke.

Experiment in this direction with foam core wings as well.

Just a few ideas I've been tossing around.

I hope Joe Bridi and Jim Feldman won't mind!!!! [sm=shades_smile.gif]

I am wanting to have a design I can trust, but I want something different. I want to be successful with something original that no one else has.

Brian

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM
evaristus

Found this, never seen one tough

http://www.blackstarrc.com/
Hope it helps
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
maynardrupp

ORIGINAL: evaristus

Found this, never seen one tough

http://www.blackstarrc.com/
Hope it helps
Thanks..That airplane looks great. I notice that the ailerons are not full span..Hmmmm