Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4*40 came in today

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*40 came in today

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Zapped
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4*40 came in today

Ghosty: Tell you wife I've almost got the Stik ready for her to cover! lol Did she help cover the 4-Star?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
GhostRider32

She covered the solid blue on the ailerons and the tri stock on the vertical stab, I did everything else. I'll let her know..... You get your engine in yet?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Zapped

Motor is here, looks fine. Funny thing, I ordered 4 new servos (all the same), 2 came with mounting screws, 2 didn't. [] It's been so long since I built a plane, that I've got to go dig around to find more hardware.

Enough about me, this is your build thread. So, how did it fly?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 PM
GhostRider32

ORIGINAL: Zapped

Motor is here, looks fine. Funny thing, I ordered 4 new servos (all the same), 2 came with mounting screws, 2 didn't. [] It's been so long since I built a plane, that I've got to go dig around to find more hardware.

Enough about me, this is your build thread. So, how did it fly?
Call Hobbypeople.net, they'll make it right on the servos. Glad to hear you got your motor. How do you like the RDS 8000?

The 4* didn't fly worth a crap. Actually it didn't fly at all.

While I was breaking in the engine, servo movement became very erratic. It ended up being that the switch quit working. Better to quit on the ground than in the air. It became intermittant, worked a little while and then wouldn't work for a little bit....... Red light on the receiver for a little bit then no red light for a little bit.......... I'm changing the switch now with a new one and plan on flying it tomorrow. Still trying to make the first flight on the plane and Aurora......

The Magnum .46 broke in well and showed good numbers for a new engine.Fai fuel with 80% methanol/20% oil tached at 11,800 on an 11x6 APC prop with 2.5 tanks of run time.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Zapped

How can HobbyPeople help when I ordered it from Tower Hobbies? They also forgot to include the RDS in my order, but I got that straightened out.

Well, the good news about the 4* is that you went thorugh the proper pre-flight measures to keep from losing the plane.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
GhostRider32

How can HobbyPeople help when I ordered it from Tower Hobbies? They also forgot to include the RDS in my order, but I got that straightened out.

Well, the good news about the 4* is that you went thorugh the proper pre-flight measures to keep from losing the plane.
Hobbypeople probably won't be of much help to you then....

Yeah, I would have hated to crash because of a bad switch...... It resembled a "radio lockout" where I could control it for a few seconds and then nothing for a few seconds. Just long enough to crash and blame it on the radio....... All during radio installation of the plane, never a single power issue then bam, on the first engine run, it got erratic. It was most likely caused by vibration but I threw the switch away so I'll never mistakenly use it again and find out. Funny thing is that it would work perfectly when it would come back and then drop out again without warning.

I'm to the point that since switches are so cheap, I'm considering putting 2 in parallel for every plane I have and just changing them both every year. Really, whats a few dollars a year for switches compared to a plane...... On this particular plane, I ended up changing the battery too because I just wasn't 100% sure it was the switch alone so why chance it?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
GhostRider32

Flight report..........

Flew the 4*40 about 7-8 times today and it flies well. Had a couple of deadsticks but not too big of an issue. The plane is surprisingly fast with the 2 wing bays gone, not Quickie 500 fast but faster than many of the sport models at the field. I'm thinking of building another one and putting my Magnum .61 2 stroke on it just for kicks........

Overall, the 4*40 is a very capable everyday sport flier that I hope to have around for a long time. It performs all of the sport manuvers I normally fly and the plane seems to take it all in stride. It is not, however, a 3D monster. If that's what you want, the 4*40 is not the plane for you but if you want a easy flying plane that loves dives, loops, rolls, ect..... the 4*40 may be just the ticket.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

Flight report..........

Flew the 4*40 about 7-8 times today and it flies well. Had a couple of deadsticks but not too big of an issue. The plane is surprisingly fast with the 2 wing bays gone, not Quickie 500 fast but faster than many of the sport models at the field. I'm thinking of building another one and putting my Magnum .61 2 stroke on it just for kicks........

Overall, the 4*40 is a very capable everyday sport flier that I hope to have around for a long time. It performs all of the sport manuvers I normally fly and the plane seems to take it all in stride. It is not, however, a 3D monster. If that's what you want, the 4*40 is not the plane for you but if you want a easy flying plane that loves dives, loops, rolls, ect..... the 4*40 may be just the ticket.

You sound fired up!

Congrats on the build and the maiden. The Sig Four Star series are awsome planes!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 PM
GhostRider32

I like it. Its a good easy flyer that's relaxing to fly. I can just sit in my lawn chair and fly the fuel away.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: GhostRider32

I like it. Its a good easy flyer that's relaxing to fly. I can just sit in my lawn chair and fly the fuel away.

Yea, right!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, to fast ? Maybe you have to much pitch on your prop.Or maybe you CG is set some what forward?My favorite thing is to flip inverted right after take off and putz around at 1/3 throttle and flip it back upright just before I land .With a good headwind , itwell harrier invert ,at about a walk.
Try a few snap rolls, that well bring you out of your lawn chair, lol. Your right, they aren;t3D machines but one heck of a sport flier and a great addition to one's fleet . You done a really nice job on your build, Enjoy
Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
GhostRider32

Not too fast, just faster than I expected it to be. Not as fast as my Twist .40 with a Tower .75 2 stroke. That gave a new meaning to unlimited verticle.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
ScienceisCool
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome! Glad everything went well. I'm hoping to get mine in the air possibly this weekend, depending on the weather.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
GaryHarris

Scobee early Sunday morning John?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
ScienceisCool

Can we do later that day? Going to a hockey game and a bar Saturday night. Or Monday works too since it's MLK day.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
GhostRider32

Gary or SIC,

I'm going to La Porte, Tx in a few weeks and need to find a flying field to visit for a couple of days, know any in the area that would let a fellow AMA member fly a couple of days?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
GaryHarris

Not sure, so I pulled this up.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

EDIT: I didnt take my zip. Plug in 77082 and within 50 miles.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: ScienceisCool

Can we do later that day? Going to a hockey game and a bar Saturday night. Or Monday works too since it's MLK day.
My only chance will be in the morning up untill about noon.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
ScienceisCool

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I can't give you a definite yes, but if I can drag myself out of bed I'll try to be there before 11.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 PM
GaryHarris

Did that help GR32?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I can't give you a definite yes, but if I can drag myself out of bed I'll try to be there before 11.

If the weather holds up, Ill be there.

GR32, when you come down south, check us out on the west side of Houston.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM
GhostRider32

Thanks, it's gonna be a few weeks.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Zapped

Gary, you have mail! Does that bring back old times>
Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
GaryHarris

Gary, you have mail! Does that bring back old times>

Mark, Performance Raceway when Jorge moved the onroad track indoors and I had all that new Trinity gear from my sponsorship. And if I remember correctly, I was dominating 1/12th scale.

Dude, I miss that track. K&M is gone. Area 51 is gone...

Thanks for the flashback bro!

Edit. I did a little photoshop on the pic. I had that cyst removed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98246.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1356921