Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:13 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: THE BIG WING BUILD ALONG

Ugh!, taxes?! you had to remoind me, thanks ejam. I look forward to giving the government my hard earned money and then some.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:37 AM
ejam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my update.

The formers I built did not fit the fuse sides, so I made new and larger. The former 4 that is at the tail end, I used spruse to make it stronger. The balsa just seemed too weak. The triangle piece that I glued in wrong will just stay that way. It is on the bottom and only the front half. I will fill in the difference later. I feel that there isnt enough work done to post any pictures yet, maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Quigleywins

Earl is your New Year Resolution post no photos. Well if I can find them I'll post mine. Its been a hot and wet start to the new year 1 1/2inches of rain in 2 hours. I realy gave it a good go today. The bottom of the wing is MK but the top is solar film. Its not finished yet The red's the next item to join the yellow and blue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96358.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1346212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87568.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1346213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10306.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1346214  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:27 AM
ejam

You very funny! yeah, I know, I'll post some sooner than later. With all the progress you have made, makes me look bad. Nice looking wings!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 PM
ejam

Here are some pictures of my progress.

Name:	Ig12564.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1346406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35388.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1346407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21852.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1346408  
Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 PM
ejam

Well I made a little progress lastnight. Although I did make some mistakes, the first sheeting has the wood grain going in the wrong direction, and was not long enough to meet the firewall. I was able to cut a small amount and glue it in.
That ca glue makes for a nasty headache! too cold to open the garage door, it was 25 F lastnight.
I pulled out my parkzone 480 outrunner to see how to mount it, and it seems like it is going to be too big and heavy for the plane. I may have to go with a eflite 400 or 450. If anybody knows of a good brushless motor for this plane, post in and let me know.

Name:	Ay74809.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1347359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70382.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1347360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79016.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1347361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb79880.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1347362  
Old 01-02-2010, 04:54 PM
planebuilder66

ejam, I'll trade the weather, got 4-6" of the white stuff last night.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
ejam

planebuilder66, We had 5" of snow the week before Christmas. I was wanting 2 feet or more! We dont get snow here like we use to when I was a kid. But this winter seems to be starting out like years ago use to, so maybe I'll get my wish.

I am getting ready to do some work on the cake, will post updates later.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM
planebuilder66

Yeah, thanks to this global warming we'll be burried in the white stuff, last night we got 4-6, last week we got 2 feet.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:51 AM
ejam

planebuilder66,
Well you just do your anti-snow dance and send it down south a few hundred miles I"ll take the white stuff!! And I will take Quigleywins advise and put some red skis on my butterfly! I have a 1985 Honda ATC250sx that is crying for some snow! So send it all my way.

But back to the build, who else has some pictures to post? Im sure the next time Quigleywins makes a post, he will have the cake and wanderer about 75% complete! lol

Quigleywins, I have been doing a bad thing. I took a break today and worked on my E-flite L4. It sure is a sweet little plane. I will be starting the tail of the Cake tomorrow (Sunday). I was forced to take a break, the ca was effecting me too much![:'(]

Chat with you guys later
Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 AM
Quigleywins

The cake build
Some bad news what I tryed to do is not working when I covered the wing the covering pulled the ribs putting a bow in the joining ribs .To fix this I'm just going to fill it with glue and cover it with MK to hide the stuff up. If I went that way again I will put two ribs close together and put capping the same as the centre to increase the strength . I new that I was running the risk of this but some times you need to try it to see if it will work. I could fix it but I could'nt face the job of removing all that covering.
Earl L4 that not some type of heli flopper is it, be carefull You know what may happen if I hear too much about them. As for positive cake things I have completed the tail and tail feathers they also are half covered .I'v used a light green on all the underside,looks good, Photos monday night, no building today and off to the dentist on Monday ,So now you can catch up. Yours Paul T PS Its cold hear today but it going back to, 40 deg C by the weekend
Old 01-03-2010, 02:47 PM
ejam

Quigleywins, What caused the covering to mess up the ribs? Is it because you made the outer panels removeable?
The L4 is a plane. During WW2 the service took the cub and made some changes and called it the L4 grasshopper.
My wife bought it for me for Christmas. Its a nice little plane.
Well Im back to the garage to work on the Cake.

Name:	Jh15507.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1348364  
Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Quigleywins

Earl , Yes I intend to join the 4 sections after they are covered so as to reduce the problem I have when covering wings. I think that,as I said before, two ribs reduced insize so they can be planked as the centres are will work. the ribs need be only 1/2 inch appart , A total of 4 extra ribs ,one in each section. This will stop the outer rib moving. IF I had jioned the wing before I covered the sections there would have been no problem but with the problems I have with covering wings in the past I wanted to try this methoid. On the last wing that I built,where the wing bends (Out from the centre) I had trouble making the covering stick and I'm still not happy with the results of that attempt. I can get round this problem after they are joined and the wing will be a lot stronger with little extra weight.. yours Paul T How are thoes red skis going ,are tyey still needed.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
ejam

Quigleywins, no snow yet, but my have some next weekend. The skies wont take much to build. lol
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
planebuilder66

Ejam, stop praying for snow! everytime you do it gets dumped on me, I'm not kidding, I just spent 1/2 hour scaping the snow and ice off my work van, went inside and came back out for a smoke and what do you know?! freaking snowing again. You can have it, I give up, the worst part is having to scape tha vans windshield, I'm 6'2" and I still have to stand on the tire to reach the center?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 PM
ejam

planebuilder66,
I have been wishing for the snow to move down my way. Im a 40 year yung kid, and still have to stand on my Bronco tire to scrape my windshield, bronco has a 6" lift! lol

Quigleywins, I spent half the day leaning and moving things around so I can start the wanderer to. But I still havent got a table big enough to start. And the wife wont let me use the kitchen table! lol
I have been doing some thinking, and I think I will make the cake wing one piece. I was going to try your method, but I am going to stick to the plans and add some carbon fiber rods like I did to the butterfly.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Quigleywins

Its Morning over here , and its going to be real hot we are miles away from the floods that have hit NSW .With all the personal report out of the way back to the cake Earl my wing on the Cake will be one piece also. Its the covering I wanted to complete before joining the sections together, now if I was good at the covering side I would have joined all together before covering. What I wanted to do was join the wing sections togerher the same as ARFs (with them covered) Now with all that said You could build the sections the same as me and join them before covering my joins are far stronger than the kit build methoid.
I did 1/2 of the covering on the wanderer wing yesterday so today I will build till 1 pm and then I intend going out to fly the butterfly the weather is perfect If the wind gets up I will go in the evening when its carm again. I am needed to hang around for the farrier its horse day and the love of my life Jenn is at work. and their her horses. But you do these things. Yours Paul. T PS yes to the L4 (just keeping you in line) lol. Photos tonight.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM
ejam

Well, lastnight I got most of the tail done. I have been taking my time with all the cuts to make sure to get them straight and flat.
Quigleywins, I still have to recut most all my ribs. Some seem just too week. That is going to be very hard for me to do.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Quigleywins

The Wanderer build
Earl you maybe able to get some sharp knives at work for the ribs. Well here is the wing more trim to be fitted yet but close to finished.

Name:	Fd93229.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1349756  
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
ejam

Hey, that wing looks good! I like the colors.
I was on rcgroups website, and found this.

I like the layout.

Name:	Ca81773.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1349783  
Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 AM
ejam

Well its been slow progress. Those angles are hard to cut. I am worried about the hinge areas, the wood is only 1/8" thick. Will a hinge tool help in this case? In the past, I just used a #11 blade.

Name:	Zx70745.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1350395  
Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Quigleywins

Earl I'm thinking about the same problem, there is no building on thursday,helping with the harvest, which I hate it just too hard at my age and Im well out of practice.I completed the second wing (not happy) It will look OK in the photo when I take it. But I'm not at all pleased. In fact If I think hard enough I may rebuild it. I would build it the same way but I would Join the 4 sections together before covering it. The red I used is not bright enough but the yellow and blue will stay. What is the smallest hinge you can get ? Are they top flite. maybe thats the way to go. One small hole. Yours Paul T
Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Quigleywins

problem solved , I made the trip to the LHS and they had robart 1/2A hinge point (six in the pack) 305 on the top of the pack this should fix the problem .
Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
planebuilder66

I use those for all my 1/2A planes, make sure you oil or vasaline the joint it self so you don't accidentally glue it together, they are sooooo small it's real easy to do.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Quigleywins

I'm an expert at that sort of thing'' planebuilder66'' . Last night I spent time on the wing covering of the cake,I changed the red. It was interesting to see that all the MK that I'd used,came straight off and no dought would have come off on the first flight I'd say MK do'nt stick to solar film. It now looks a lot better. I see all the threads on Monokote are still in full use. I was interested to read that the change was made in 2003 to the product,so my full collection of MK is the stuff that will not shrink .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.