Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg super Chipmunk build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg super Chipmunk build

Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM
motoman326

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Goldberg super Chipmunk build

Another question for the great minds that prowl these forums......

I was going to use the OS 65 LA but I recently acquired an OS 61 SF

Which would be the better engine for this plane…

Discuss…..
Old 01-21-2012, 01:33 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The .61 SF will power the plane nicely. You should have no problems with it. I have one of these engines waiting for a plane to install it in.

Dan
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Hab

Hi guys, Any one used another taiwheel set up besides the stock? Like a Du Bro or Ohio semiscale pull-pull set up?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
motoman326

Thanks Dan,

I was leaning that way, You pushed me over...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Hab

Well , I know this thread is over a year old now, but figured I'd post. I F-I-N-A-L-L-Y got to maiden
mine the other day after being tied up with other issuse for the past year.

Ah... yeah. I do like this one! This is a cool flying and handling airplane. Like having the extra power on hand that I put in it.
Pulls vertical with no problem ( at half) with the YS. Rolling is very graciuos. On first, took 2 "beeps"/ clicks of left
aileron ... couple beeps of rudder... couple more beeps of up ele. ... NICE! Flies and looks awesome in the air.
Was able to squeeze in 5 flights before the sun set. Landing was a little too hot... wants to keep flying even with
throttle chopped on final when lined up. Fast glide. Ys wants (and I've been told from others) the YS .91 needs a 13/10 - 14/12

Be trying a 13/8 on it next time out even though they say a 10, to see if that slows it down a little on approach. If not, it's manageable.
Very happy with this one and it's a really fun airplane to fly . Glad I built this one.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Congratulations!!! Do you have any photos of the finished plane. Seeing it complete is my favoriten part.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Hab

Thanks!

Yes... Posted 3 pics a while back. Two of the photos were on the balancer.
I had a problem trying to post pics on here before. Friend in my club finally got them posted up for me. Wish I'd have of been able to get out
earlier in the season with this. Tried last year, had problems with the YS right off the get go when I first tried for it last year.
Had other issues that rolled around that set me back a few steps.
Decided Sat. it was time. This plane needs to get airborne before the season ends and another year rolls by.
Had a very good day, Sunday, with it. That was it's maiden.
Loved when it rotated off the ground for the first time, and it's handling characteristics... then making a few fly-by passes and it only taking a few clicks of trim.
wow ..... "I'm liking this one" Wasn't sure how this was going to handle with the YS, but it's a dream to fly.

Got two YS .91's off fleabay for good prices 2 yrs ago when this build started. When I first mounted the chosen one for the Chip, had no luck
with first run -in. Tried the other (of course that one also had issues) What it was doing, ~1st .91~ as described when reading tech and other forums, pulling air into the system causing a lean run.
Common thing. Gaskets.
Went threw that motor with a gasket rebuild. Did gaskets, o-rings , diaphram, set lash ... etc
The other unfortunately needs a crank ( which is still available from YS) At some point I'll end up going through that one, complete.
Now; so far as they say when set right, this motor runs awesome and doesn't need to be touched.
VERY happy with this plane / combo. I'll try to get a vid posted one of these days.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Hab

Post # 200 shows .....
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
motoman326

Well, finished up the chipmunk, left out the smoke system but did add retracts and flaps.
Total weight 8lbs 13 Oz (Yikes)
Went with the OS 65 LA
3004 serovs all around. Will report after the maiden.
I'll see if I can figure out how to post photos
Thanks to everyone....

Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM
motoman326

I posted it in my gallery and hangar.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Kyosho Joe

My dad and I built A Goldberg Super Chipmunk back around 1990 or so. I still have it. Though it is in sorta rough shape. Needs recovered and I think mice got into the wings and chewed the ribs a little bit. Could probably be R & R'd  but not sure exactly how you would restore a 30 year old model. Besides recovering the plane  do the the glued joints get old and brittle? Can you reg lue these? Anyway, I am interested in building a new one. Is the kit offered today the exact same as the old kit of 30 years ago? New to the forums. Please advise
Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 AM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

I too built a Goldburg chippy when they first came out back in the late '80s. I left the hobby for a number of years and got back in '06 and built another. Although my memory is poor, I believe the kits are the same exceept for pirce. I think I only paid something in the $50 range back then.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Carl Goldberg Classics is still offering the Super Chipmunk. I built one about two years ago. Still very good quality. The glue joints on your dad's plane may have gotten brittle over time especially if it was assembled with Ambroid, which was a pretty popular glue back then. I put a Saito 100 in mine and it flies GREAT.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I picked up an original CG Chipmunk a few weeks ago, and going to put a Magnum 91 FS on it.  Researching retracts, but not finding much on what type to put on it. 90* 100*?  If 90* do the Eflite electrics fit it? 

I haven't started the build yet, just gathering gear.  I may or may not use Ultracote on it, I have a few rolls set aside in case I do, but I may go the Koverall route and dope instead.  I already have 2 builds going right now, a TF 1/7th P-51C, and a SIG 4*120.  The 120 is getting a DLE20, not sure yet what I want to put on the Stang, whether another DLE20, or a 4 stroke. The DLE just does not sound right for the Mustang.  I like the sound of the 91 though, but that will be a tad under powered for the Stang since I built a bit on the heavy side with retracts and scale doors.  It Must have a 1.20 on it. 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Acdii, may I suggest Solartex. It is so easy to apply and a whole lot stronger than ultraCote. It comes in various colors, or you can buyit Natural and paint it. I covered my Chipmunk in UltraCote and I am constantly re-shrinking the covering . Koverall is a very good choicewith a down side of a lot of work to install.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM
motoman326

Acdii, I put the 60 size 90 degrees E-Flite retracts in my chipmunk. They are scale so the rotate back toward the trailing edge. I had to reinforce the spar since I cut through it to make the wheel fit. I also had to bend my own struts since the electric retracts wouldn't allow the wheels to fully retract. I heard E-Flite has 90 degree rotating retracts now so they might fit better.
Still trying to figure out how to post photos...anyone?????anyone???? (Bueller....Bueller)

Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
motoman326

http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/...tractVideo.mp4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98131.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1809938  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 AM
motoman326

Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM
motoman326

Whew,
Well I think I got it figured out. Let me know what you think. I plan to maiden her as soon as I get a nice weekend (and my flying buddy is back in town)
Old 10-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Kyosho Joe

ORIGINAL: VincentJ

Carl Goldberg Classics is still offering the Super Chipmunk. I built one about two years ago. Still very good quality. The glue joints on your dad's plane may have gotten brittle over time especially if it was assembled with Ambroid, which was a pretty popular glue back then. I put a Saito 100 in mine and it flies GREAT.

I just dug it out of the upstars of the the barn and cleaned it up. It cleaned up pretty well. But I would never try and fly it. It's just a neato wall hanger at this point. I'm going hang it up in my basement hobbie shop I'm putting together since I'm getting back into the hobbie. And I want to build a new one...

Old 10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: motoman326

Acdii, I put the 60 size 90 degrees E-Flite retracts in my chipmunk. They are scale so the rotate back toward the trailing edge. I had to reinforce the spar since I cut through it to make the wheel fit. I also had to bend my own struts since the electric retracts wouldn't allow the wheels to fully retract. I heard E-Flite has 90 degree rotating retracts now so they might fit better.
Still trying to figure out how to post photos...anyone?????anyone???? (Bueller....Bueller)

Thanks, Ihave them on my wish list now. Ihad originally planned to put my Magnum 91 FS on it, but my Mustang is further along and needs an engine, and the 91 seems to be a pretty good runner for it. So, depending on swap meets and sales, I dont know what motor will go it it, so it will sit until then. Istill have plenty to work on in the meantime, a 4*120, and the Mustang, and I have a 52FS that needs a home, so maybe a SIG Cub.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 PM
motoman326

If anyione wants to see...Here is the maiden video of my Chipmunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IbOd...re=c4-overview

As well as a buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4_i6...908BCjQMGBcJQg
Old 02-21-2014, 04:34 PM
VCScott

Very nice, both look great!
Love the Super Chipmunk! Great Plane!
Watch out for those street lights.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Paul_BB

Nice. You can slow the Chipmunk a lot more before touch down. She is lovely when she flies by at almost walking speed.

-Paul
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

Getting ready to cover my Chipmunk and was just wondering what red and blue you all used on yours?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.