Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Goldberg super Chipmunk build

I finished the fuselage, tail and wing today. By the time I got to the ruder I had the covering down. The Ultracote is very easy to work with, if there is an easier covering than this, it must install by its self. Tomorrow I will start putting her together.
    TB

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay73451.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	1460612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64802.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	1460613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb75385.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	1460614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fz74546.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	1460615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Te47157.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	1460616  

Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #79

DHC Chipmunk Brotherhood #1

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As I was cleaning up this evening I realized I did not do the starburst on the tale! So here it is.
    TB

Name:	Ki19636.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1460640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hd94855.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	1460641  
    Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It really looks great TB with these colors and contrast you'll be able to see it very well.
    I did move my battery to the front behind the instrument panel and strange but it balances well.
    A nose heavy airplane doesnt fly so well, a tail heavy airplane doesnt fly at all (mine wasnt flying at all).
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #3.
    Ya know, a cat is longer from head to tail than from tail to head.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm thinking about building another GB Chipmonk but looking at the Tower Hobby web site I don't see where they are selling Goldberg Chipmonks any more. Are they still kitting them and where can I find one?
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its called GP Goldberg super chipmunk now
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LG1155&P=1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Alex, Boy do I feel stupid. I looked at Towers small catalog and web site but could not find the Chipmonk. However, just now, after getting your note, I went to Tower web site, typed Chipmonk search and low and behold there it was. Over the last 30 years I have had three of these and it is one of my favorates.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All the covering is done; I installed the servos, hooked up the control surfaces. Pre balance shows that she is tail heavy. I still need to install the prop, spinner, muffler, and plumb the ailerons. The battier was set in front of the servo tray for pre balancing, so I will move it forward to achieve final balancing. I am waiting on my canopy from FS, the one that came with the plane was dented and warped. I was going to use it for now, but I screwed it up trying to paint it. I will paint the cowl next week, and she should be ready to fly by the fallowing weekend.
    I tinkered with the cowl installation. I took some extra servo rubber bushings and glued them to the fuselage as a buffer between the fiberglass cowl and the fuselage. I used 4-40 hex head bolts with blind nuts to hold the cowl in place. Being I did this after she was built and covered, I had to get creative on how I would get the blind nuts in. I learned how to install blind nuts that are hard to get to while redoing the engine mount. I drill the hole then use a scrap piece of weir, thread it threw the hole then feed the blind nut onto the weir with a second piece of weir. You may have to bend the weir to accommodate the situation. Then I feed the bolt in as the weir backs out, the bolt's threads into the blind nut, easy as pie.
    I liked the Robart hinges so I went with the Robart ¾ control hors. All in all, this plane was such a joy to build, it was my first kit build, and I learned a lot building her, she is not perfect but she is a very good-looking gal for sure. I bet she will fly great too, so I am very excited to get her ready and in the air. I will be installing the final touches, as I get closer, fuel filter, fill valve, and remote headlock for the glow plug. I like to fly a lot when I am out at the field, so I want to make this bird easy to fill and go.
    TB

Name:	Jh14931.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	1462234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21015.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	1462235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hn25659.jpg 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	1462236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45230.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1462237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ny26658.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	1462238  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ne56160.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	1462239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Il93010.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	1462240  
    Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tonybuilder: She looks great, nice job on the covering, cant wait to get your flight report. I have stalled for a little while on the one I am building. I have been working on a H9 Edge 540 i've had for a while. I will be flying her this morning. On the chippy im buildng i have the wing covered and part of the fuselage. I will be back on it this week, should have it ready about the same time you maiden yours. One other thing, not to be critical, took me a few to realize what "weir" was. "wire" is how its spelled, overall your project is great.
    Humilitas occidit superbiam.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I finally got her all finished and ready to fly. I have been stalled out on waiting for my new canopy from FS, the one that is on there now is the stock one, it is dented on one side, and I messed it up painting it. The one from FS is lost in the mail, and they are sending me a new one today and hopefully it will get here in time for me to paint it and install it because this plane is flying this weekend, new or old canopy.The engine and muffler all set up nicely with just a small cutout at the bottom for ease of removing the cowl.
    As Alex mention about his plane, it really does desire decals, so I put the decals on and will add more as I collect them from other sources, after all it is a Super Chipmunk! She weighed in at 8 pounds 6 oz all set up and ready to fly, she also balanced out nicely with the receiver battery over the fuel tank. I made her a little nose heavy for the maiden, and once she is all cleared to be let loose, I will get her closer to neutrally balanced. I am excited to maiden her this Saturday, I will break in the Saito 100 on the plane in the morning and then fly her after a few tanks. I still might get the Robart struts, they are backordered threw Tower right now, so I will wait. This is a great plane to build and from what I have been told, a great plane to fly. I will post some photos at the field and an update on how she flew.
    Thank you Alex for letting me post in your thread.
    TB

Name:	Ki18617.jpg 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	1466706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86047.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1466707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va71983.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	1466708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At54440.jpg 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	1466709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz30800.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1466710  

Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew the Chipmunk this weekend for her maiden, and she was an amazing plane. After running a few tanks threw the Saito 100, I took her up for the maiden. With all the excitement and adrenalin, I did not check the muffler. The engine was still rich, and I was taking it easy, it sounded weak as I took of but it still got up and in the air fine, a little trim and she was flying the pattern high up. After a few rounds, I brought her in and on approach a dead stick was on hand. I was shaking and excited but still managed to bring her in safely. After fueling her up and tuning the engine, I a bystander pointed out that the muffler was loose. So I tightened it up and out we went. This time she was running a lot stronger, and I was able to see how she was handling. The first day I hade a few dead sticks on approach as the engine was still breaking in, landings were a little faster than I am use to but all were manageable.
    I did not use the flaps yet as I was not sure how the plane would react. I ran just about a half a gallon the first day. When I got home, I went over the plane and decided to install the Slimline inverted Pitt's muffler. This muffler has a much better connection to the motor, just one joint, and it is rock solid. The stock muffler with 90-degree adapter and all has three joints, and I could see it constantly needing to be tightened.
    The next day I ran about a gallon threw her, adjusted the engine and had her running very well for the second day. This plane flies so nicely, and it is such a joy. The thrill factor of flying this kit over an ARF plane is 10 fold. I haven’t gone crazy with her yet as I am waiting until the engine is fully broken in, and I am comfortable with her reliability. I did try the flaps and found they really shoot the plane up, and it is a matter of getting the timing down as to when to deploy them, but they are fun to use. The Saito 100 is a great engine for this plane, not too much power, I was able to fly around at 1/3 throttle and keep her up, at full throttle she moves nicely.
    TB

Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just picked up a chipmonk already built, downloaded the manual but can't find the measurements for the balancing point and control throws. What are you guys using for low and hi rates?

Thanks
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great looking plane Tony!
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

drube: the CG point on the plans is between 3-3/4" ~ 4-3/4" from the LE, thats the accepted range, as for throws its some thing like 1/4" on the elevator and ailerons but im using about 75% of the recommended and its more than enough - it can be wild - attention.

TB: Great looking airplane you have its very nice covered and built, I'm glad you flew it successfully from the start its important and rewarding. dead sticks are no fun but I had one that I planed just to see how much time it can fly on one tank was lazy to drain it - 23 min.

you are talking about part getting loose from vibrations? from my motor every screw possible got loose, until this I had only OS's, so blue thread lock solved it.

My chipmunk is not maiden anymore at all, scratched wingtips from the concrete, minor crash, now its trimed and flying wild.
    Yes flaps shooting it way up, i think I'll disconnect them or at least reduce their travel got into trouble because of it once, almost lost the plane.

Best of luck and lots of fun with your new airplane thats what i'm doing.
    Alex

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

...... I did try the flaps and found they really shoot the plane up, and it is a matter of getting the timing down as to when to deploy them, but they are fun to use.
    Tony,

Try mixing a little down elevator with your flaps. That will greatly reduce the "pop up" you're getting with your Chipmonk. BTW, Awesome looking plane. Congrats with your maiden....

David
    Fly Safe and Have Fun ! ! !
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Alex
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey everyone. Got a little more left to do on the Chipmunk. Tonybuilder: Good to hear about your maiden flight. Can't wait to maiden this one, so I can start on my next project. Did you get the engine problem figured out? I have to finish covering the ailerons, finish painting the cowl and then put it all together. Cant wait. Got a few photos of where i'm at.

Name:	Yw68165.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	1470873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24035.jpg 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	1470874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fl18666.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	1470875  
    Humilitas occidit superbiam.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice dragonov3, are you planning to put decals on it?

TonyBuilder, Where is your CG at? I'm at 4 3/4" and it flys like it's tail heavy. Going into turns the tail feels like it's "sinking" in the turn. When flying level the tail looks to be a litle low. Any suggestion? Should I move the CG closer to the LE?
    3 3/4" to 4 3/4" i'm not sure where I should be.

Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

according to the plans the CG is between 3-3/4" to 4-3/4" from the LE.
    if your airplane behaves as tail heavy you need to move it forward, my chipmunk flies best with the CG at 3-3/4" from the LE.
    yes I do have 14 oz tank which gives it nose heavy behavior.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Alex, I rebalanced tonight and it was way tail heavy . No wonder it was flying so poorly.
    The Goldberg site saysthe CG is 3 3/4" - 4 5/8.I went with 4 3'16" in the middle. Can't wait to fly her now! That first flight was scary! lol
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drube

Nice dragonov3, are you planning to put decals on it?

TonyBuilder, Where is your CG at? I'm at 4 3/4" and it flys like it's tail heavy. Going into turns the tail feels like it's "sinking" in the turn. When flying level the tail looks to be a litle low. Any suggestion? Should I move the CG closer to the LE?
    3 3/4" to 4 3/4" i'm not sure where I should be.

Drube, I balance on the center of the main spare, not sure what the measurement is. Take her up high at ¾ throttle, dive at a 45-degree angle, the plane should stay on course with hands off, if it climbs you are tail heavy, if it dives you are noise heavy.
    Being my chippy was such a joy and performed so well the first days of her flight, I got her some Robart struts, wheel paints or on the way from FS.
    While I was adjusting the CG to accommodate the struts I found that the servo tray had come detached at the front, so I glued in some scrap balsa to lock it in, disaster diverted, check your planes head to toe after the maiden day.
    TB

Name:	Bz78285.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1472149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61371.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	1472150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq38941.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	1472151  
    Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dragonov3, nice color scheme, the black will be great for those early morning flights when the sky is so bright. As you can see I am partial to the black and yellow combo, my wheel paints will be yellow. Great job on the canopy.
    TB

Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks TB, I'll do the dive test as soon as this tropical storm passes.
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there.....just started building a GB Chipmunk myself. When I recieved the kit, I also noticed upon inspection that the canopy was warped and also
    creased ( dented, damaged) just aft. the canopy pillar.

Tried going online looking for an aftermarket replacement canopy, also any replacement cowls , wheel pants offerd ; one piece light weight glass,
    that are available for this kit. (still a popular kit - bird)

She'll be powerd with a YS .91......small weight issues not a concern.

Noticed in your thread you also had the same problem with your canopy being damaged and that you had another coming from "FS"

Don't mean to sound stupid..........but who is "FS"? LOL I like to know who this is so I could order one myself. Not particulary
    concerned with the cowl......nor the wheel pants. Grass fields and wheel pants don't go together to well anyway....lol

Thanx.........."Hab"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hab

Hi there.....just started building a GB Chipmunk myself. When I recieved the kit, I also noticed upon inspection that the canopy was warped and also
    creased ( dented, damaged) just aft. the canopy pillar.

Tried going online looking for an aftermarket replacement canopy, also any replacement cowls , wheel pants offerd ; one piece light weight glass,
    that are available for this kit. (still a popular kit - bird)

She'll be powerd with a YS .91......small weight issues not a concern.

Noticed in your thread you also had the same problem with your canopy being damaged and that you had another coming from "FS"

Don't mean to sound stupid..........but who is "FS"? LOL I like to know who this is so I could order one myself. Not particulary
    concerned with the cowl......nor the wheel pants. Grass fields and wheel pants don't go together to well anyway....lol

Thanx.........."Hab"
    The canopy is supposed to be like that unless it is really dented badly. I thought the same thing and when I got my canopy from FS it was the same. The cowl is heavy-duty and worth the $ the wheel pants are also heavy-duty. The stock plastic would not last a week out at the field, good for looks but not for everyday flying.
    I have a Saito 100 on y plane and there is no issue with the size or weight.
    No need to apologize that is why there are forms like this.
    TB

Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx for the info TB. Yes I have Fiberglass Specialties loaded as a "favorite". Just didn't put the two together. LOL
    Thank you for that link though.

I've seen the price and info on the cowl and pants....also the canopy. Just wondered if the canopy were a clear
    butate / lexan piece.....like in the kit.....or also a fiberglass piece?

I assume from what you said.....that it's also a clear butate piece.

The one that came in my kit.....is dented pretty bad. Shows a "white" line were it's "dented".......and not it the frame were it could be easily
    hidden when painted......but in the actual "bubble".

As far as the cowl goes.....I'll be using the stock one to fit the YS......then transfering those cuts to a fiberglass piece.

Painting........I plan on covering with Mono. I've used mono's "LusterKote" to match. Reading the can.....says it's not compatable
    with certain things.......fiberglass being one of them. I plan on visiting the local autobody supply to have a pint mixed up of
    color to match. Not laquer thow That's what LustreKote is. I can smell it. And it "crazes-eats" alot of things. (no longer legal....or available to have mixed up) Poly-U I guess. Just spray using the compresser and a normal spray gun.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast