Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Goldberg super Chipmunk build

ORIGINAL: Hab

Thanx for the info TB. Yes I have Fiberglass Specialties loaded as a "favorite". Just didn't put the two together. LOL
    Thank you for that link though.

I've seen the price and info on the cowl and pants....also the canopy. Just wondered if the canopy were a clear
    butate / lexan piece.....like in the kit.....or also a fiberglass piece?

I assume from what you said.....that it's also a clear butate piece.

The one that came in my kit.....is dented pretty bad. Shows a "white" line were it's "dented".......and not it the frame were it could be easily
    hidden when painted......but in the actual "bubble".

As far as the cowl goes.....I'll be using the stock one to fit the YS......then transfering those cuts to a fiberglass piece.

Painting........I plan on covering with Mono. I've used mono's "LusterKote" to match. Reading the can.....says it's not compatable
    with certain things.......fiberglass being one of them. I plan on visiting the local autobody supply to have a pint mixed up of
    color to match. Not laquer thow That's what LustreKote is. I can smell it. And it "crazes-eats" alot of things. (no longer legal....or available to have mixed up) Poly-U I guess. Just spray using the compresser and a normal spray gun.
    Hab, the FS canopy is the same as the stock one “lexan”. I do think that the stock one is more defined with the detail lines, plus it has a protective film that you remove during installation, or after painting the inside. The FS canopies do not have this film and can come scratched or not as pristine as the stock one. I am using the stock one until I can paint the FS one and then glue it in place.
    TB

Fly, fly, fly!!!!

Futaba loyalist!

ARCA Field, Austin TX

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ary-build.html Angie

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ary-build.html Chipmunk

Cub Brotherhood #238

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After work today I had a chance to fly the chippy and it was awesome! Totally different plane than before. It's so stableand tracks straight floats in on landings! I like this plane. Now I need to tune the Enya 60 some more.
    Probably fly it for a while unill my GPExtra 300s is finished and then recover it. It's about 6 -7 years old andneeds some TLC .lol

Thanks for your help guys!
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Almost finished with mine. Been flying instead of building. Some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tr49487.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	1487282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61009.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1487283  
    Humilitas occidit superbiam.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there drube..........looking at your info....says your from North Port. From Venice - Nokomis /Sarasota myself.
    Been out since '87. Where do you guys fly at down there? I think they use to fly out near the dump
    up in Sarasota. I wasn't flying at that time. Just an avid fan of R/C.
    H&H hobby still up in Sarasota, on 41 near the hospital?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I finally maidened the Chipmunk today. It flys great.

Video of second flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PFnD2gpMi4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan

De Plane, De Plane !!!! Wow looks great Dan !!!! Bet your glad that build is over with. Looks great, sounds great, great builder ?? I hope your not to modest. Thanks again Dan.

Vince

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hab

Hi there drube..........looking at your info....says your from North Port. From Venice - Nokomis /Sarasota myself.
    Been out since '87. Where do you guys fly at down there? I think they use to fly out near the dump
    up in Sarasota. I wasn't flying at that time. Just an avid fan of R/C.
    H&H hobby still up in Sarasota, on 41 near the hospital?
    Hi Hab, I fly at http://csms-rc.org/but am thinking about joining http://www.venicerc.com/next year. I haven't been to any hobby shops or fieldsin Sarasota so I can't help ya there.lol I shop at The Hobby Shop in Port Charlotte. Great guys!
    Alan

CORSAIR Brotherhood # 90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dragonov3

Well, I finally maidened the Chipmunk today. It flys great.

Video of second flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PFnD2gpMi4
    Great video, after a great building, thanks for sharing.

When taking off and landing approach, the plane seems to drop the right wing. Was it only a bit of trim or is a lateral balance issue?

There is an assembled chipmunk in my LHS for sale, it has been hanging by the ceiling of the shop for about six or more years, it has a Saito .91 and it happens that I have the same engine on the shelf.
    After viewing your video I had to add this kit to my wish list.

Enjoy your plane and thanks for sharing.

Alfred.
    Saito Club Member # 531; Ultra Sport Brotherhood #63
    Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 07

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It may be a lateral balance issue that I may have too to address. But I think maybe the 3-5 mph crosswind made me not notice it, not sure. I flew it again today, which will be the last time I will fly it. I built this for a friend/customer. There was a crosswind today also. It is a great flying and looking plane and you will not be dissappointed in it. Going to hate handing this over to my friend, lol. But I can always build one for myself. A Saito .91 would fly this plane very well. I have a .61FX in this one, it has plenty of power. Hope you get one and build it, or get the one from the hobby shop, either way hope you will post pictures.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there.....not from Long Island.....but close.....Rhode Island. Couple shots of my first Chipmunk build.

Chose to go with flaperons. I'm flying a Spectrum DX7. Was informed about the versatility of going
    this route. (more control over each as an individual, rather than using a Y harness).
    Didn't go with flaps though.

Powering with a YS FS.91 / 14oz tank. Should be enough power..eh? I missed taking it up for this season. I'll have
    to wait for spring again. No big deal. I've got a few more to start on.

Reading a few of the posts in here about balancing the Chipmunk, I also went in the middle of the parameter.
    I'm at 4" from the leading edge. Roll over and balance from the "top" of the wing......go's a little tail heavy.
    Going with this #....she wants 3/4oz in the nose. Weight with a dry tank is @ about 7-1/2lbs.

Used a 2400mah RX battery. This got put behind the 3rd bulk head, with a hatch made from the "punch out" on the
    the fuse bottom.

I figure the YS should have no problem pulling this.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A YS .91 is definitely enough power,lol. I went with the OS .61fx and did not have to put any additional weight on, the battery is behind the fuel tank. I put a 2400 6v battery in this one, do not know what my friend will put in it, since it is his plane.
    Post some pictures of yours, always interested in what other people have done to their chippy. I have a few more pictures taken at the flying field by one of the members.

Name:	Ki19359.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	1527476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30361.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	1527477   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx62182.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	1527478  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there Dragonov3....having a problem with trying to load pictures on this site. Nothing is showing up....nor the message I put with them (reply).
    Can't figure this out.....I could use some help with this one

Hab

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hab: To load the picture go to post reply, just below the last reply on this page. Do not use fast reply, you cannot use fast reply to post pictures, it is text and smileys only. Then after you have written your text, Click on the link below your text box that says "click here to upload images and file". This will take you to a box that allows you to choose the file you want to post. Browse your computer and pick the file you want. I usually put the pictures I want to post on the desk top so it is easier to find. Once done with that just follow the prompts. Hope this helps.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's what I've done....( following written directions basically....lol ) I just go into my "photo's ", which are all jpeg, and choose
    which pics I want to upload. Windows Live Photo Gallery. First time around I did this, this site - ( RC Universe ) - gives you
    like a dozen file spaces to "browse" and load. I did. All of them. It took a minute, then it came back that it
    was "unsuccessful"........too big. That I can see. The jpeg's are files. The files were just too much to load.

Second time.......I just loaded 4 color pics - (jpegs); of it done on the balancer in which it said was successful.
    Also a short note saying that this was the second time around at trying to load pics.

Well....that didn't show either. Neither the pics, or the message. Those where both replys to that message.
    Not the "quick replys" at the bottom. When replying, I'm using the "click here to upload images and files! " link
    at the bottom of the message. Like this one.

I dunnoh..........probably this operating system.

Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken
    Wish I could help you more. But it sounds like you are doing everything properly. In the past I was having trouble uploading my pictures because they were to large. My wife bought me one of those digital picture frames that changes pictures every few seconds, well anyway it came with a program called optipix, now I just run my photos through that and it automatically sizes it for me and puts the resized photos in a folder on my desk top. EZ PZ.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had a local guy give me a partically completed Goldburg Chipmumk however, it needs a cowl and canipy in addditional to the decal sheets. I called Tower whois willing to send parts but guess how much? $30 for the canipy, $36 for the cowl and $12 each for the three decal sheets. Total $101.00 plus shipping of about $20. The whole kit is only $160. Know anyone who may have a crashed one with the cowl and canipy good willing to sell? Let me know, other wise I guess will give the kit back.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also had the same problem trying to get another canopy from Greatplanes for the GB Chipmunk. Canopy came through damaged
    when the kit arrived.

You can get an aftermarket cowl / canopy from this company: http://fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/ Canopy cost me $15. "Glass" one piece cowl was $25
    I believe....which is a much better piece than the 2 piece ABS cowl you have to seam from the kit.

As for the decals....try searching online for those. Didn't have that problem.

Hab

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the ABS cowl and decals if you want them. I did not use them in my build. Charge you for the box and shipping.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dragonov3: You got a deal, let me know how much and where to send the money. e-mail me at matadco@cox.net
    matadco

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello willmar hows the weather? question,I just picked up a goldberg chipmunk kit and thinking about a 15 or 20 gasser for it. to 15 is only 3 ounces heavier than a 91 surpass and people are saying they have ad nose weight when balancing. will it work or am i just crazy?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The ideal engine for this plane is an OS 91 Surpass!
    The perfect engine for this plane is the old OS FS-90. Fits in the cowl completely and makes as much or more power than a Surpass! NIB examples sell for $200.00 on fleabay.
    a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American way

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how would a satio 125a be on the chipmunk? i got the plane for xmass and have a saito 125 looking for a home
    fly high and land soft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe a Saito 125 may be a bit large for this plane. Prop clearance and weight may be a bit much. I think anything larger then a 90 may be too much. I have a OS .61fx in the one I built, and it is extremely fast. Back in post #180 is a link to the video of the one I built. Just my .02 cents.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Still haven't messed around with trying to upload pictures...... ( no success )......but mine can be viewed here if anyones
    intersted : http://www.southcountyrc.org ( forums ~ general info ~ fall and winter builds......down after the FA / 18
    build )..... couple of pics of it on the balancer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here you go Ken, hope this works.

Name:	Mk26622.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	431.5 KB 
ID:	1539724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay73349.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	432.1 KB 
ID:	1539725   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv63677.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	454.5 KB 
ID:	1539726  
    For a kit you are, and to a kit you shall return.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast