Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Which WWII Warbird?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Which WWII Warbird?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
dumorian
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which WWII Warbird?

I have the itch to do a warbird. Something like a Spitfire or Mustang. But... I'm wondering about the practicality of this.

Our field is about 450 feet long, but is not manicured. We have some bumps and the grass if oftentimes 2 or more inches long. I've stayed away from models with retracts for fear of doing damage. It seems however that there aren't as fragile as they appear.

Anyway, I'm more wondering about flight characteristics, in particular ground manners and not wanting something that falls from the sky during a reasonably slow landing. I know, this is all sort of wishy washy... I hope it is clear enough. The main thing is a less than perfect field.

As for size. I think something in a larger size, perhaps 7 feet or better, might be a good choice with the larger tire sizes. I prefer gas over glow and generally don't do electric on anything this big. I'm open for plans build or kit build. I've been looking hard at the TopFlite kits. Radio is not a limiting factor... can do 14 channels. Transport is not a problem but would prefer that at least the wings are removable.

Anyone have suggestions?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Which WWII Warbird?

If you are looking for a kit go with the Top Flite Giant scale birds, the Corsair would be my choice.
If you want to go the plans built route you cannot beat the Ziroli designs, they are straight forward builds and have great flight qualities. You can get a short kit from a kit cutter or save a few $$$ and cut it yourself. I have cut several Ziroli kits and I can usually cut one in a weekend.
Anthony
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could just cruise kit cutters site and look for something that suits your size and engine range. The 7' mark sounds like a topflite, but think about the other stuff needed, landing gear, servos, glass work, paint, detailing, and so on, by the time your done, you'll be in it for at least 3-4 grand. Heck, my 60 sized TF p-47 has to have at least 1500 into it. not inculuding all the up keep and repairs done to it as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:22 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I LOVE P-51s, and Top Flite's is outstanding, but I have to admit that a P-47 flies even nicer.

If you're looking for Warbird kits, look at Top Flite's Gold Edition
Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 AM
qldviking

I am currently gearing up to built a 92" Hurricane, and getting all the necesary h'ware etc together is starting to hurt the hip pocket lol. I had a 74" P-47 with a ST-3000 and retracts etc and regularly flew her of grass strips with no issues whatsoever. war birds tend to have bigger wheels than aerobatics and retracts are as strong as any other system as long as fitted correctly. I always use hardwood subspars and ply ribs where the retracts are fitted and have never had any problem with them. My hurricane will have a 3 piece wing, the centre section carrying the retracts. It will be powered with my trusty ST-6000 twin, which I am currently having fun making up a new exhaust for to utilise the scale like exhaust stacks as per plans. I'd say the only thing to watch with warbirds is the are a little trickier at low speeds, but just keep a few revs on her and landings are a breeze.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 AM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

How about a Stuka? Fixed gear for the rough field, and a great looking warbird. There are kits and ARFs in your size range that run gas engines. Ziroli and ESM are a few that come to mind.

Aaron D.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
ARUP

How about some kind of liaison aircraft? You can convert a Piper Cub or other and there are kits for Fiesler Storch type craft. No worries about rough fields or retracts!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:37 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The stuka as mentioned above is MADE for your requirements...

I know the Ziroli version is supposedly one of the best fliers in a big WW2 bird ever made. Not to mention if you put on working air sirens ...

Its sounds GOOD!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
dumorian

I am really glad I asked! I'm still waffling about a bit, but I never would have given the Stuka a second look. Now it is in the running. So, looking at the Ziroli Stuka... thinking that the fiberglass fuse might be nice. The TF Corsair and P-47 are in the running. The Corsair is really neat. I like those split flaps. Now to do more studying on the Stuka.

As for a liason model. Well, I have the Stinson L-5 Vailly kit... Marine version in quarter scale, and the Carl Goldberg 76" wing Cub in Army colors. I do hope to add the Vailly 1/3rd scale Bird Dog to my hanger some day... first they have to release the plans which are in the works. And, I really would like to do a B-17 some day. That would be awesome... quad engines.

Really, at the moment, I'd like to stay do a WWII fighter. The Stuka looks like it might be a little more plane for a little less money overall, given the lack of retracts.

Again, thanks everyone and please keep the ideas coming. This great info and giving me more options that I simply had missed.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Nathan_L

A Ziroli Stuka with the Sierra struts (Ziroli stocks them) and you can run over anything. The Sierra struts are $25 more than the Robart ones but are 25x better, plus they come with a mounting block that fits right into the rails that are shown on the plans. Take a look at the pics on the Ziroli website.

It flies much like a low wing sport plane, probalby more so than any other "warbird". It will also land slower than most of the fighter planes mentioned in this post.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I cut a Ziroli Stuka kit in less than 20 hrs and framed it up in less than 100 hrs, unfortunately I sold the plane while it was framed up so I can't comment any further. Very easy to frame up.
Good Luck!
Anthony
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
dumorian

Well gee guys... you have me looking really hard at the Stuka. It has no sex appeal at all! LOL!!!!! But, I don't care! It's a warbird... Only a few from this era were pretty. The Stuka to me really is butt ugly.

It does however have lots of great features... or items available for it. I see they now have a new fiberglass fuse. LG strut choices. Nice wheel selections. A short kit. (I'm left wondering if the short kit includes parts that wouldn't be used if the fiberglass fuse was used?) I see it has a one piece wing. I suppose it must be removable? I don't see anything about this on the site. Dive brakes! Nice. I see they are closed for the holidays, so I have until Monday to read the build threads to see what more I can learn.

I sure am glad I asked this question because it certainly seems like I have come across a model that I would not have even considered. I had been on the Ziroli website several times, but never gave this model a second look. I bet there are not a lot of these that show up at the various events. It is always nice to have something a little out of the ordinary.

Meanwhile back to studying on the Ziroli Stuka!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
foodstick

The other good thing about the stuka is any gull wing has class. It has the CRAZIEST details, like the ailerons that aren't really part of the plane.. Its like the whole plane was pounded out on a anvil when they used lathes and mills on everything else.

Also I personally think as with any German bird there are Bucket loads of cool paint schemes...

And after finally seeing one (or was that hearing one?) with a siren ...it is so cool....
Old 12-29-2009, 10:02 PM
qldviking

A short kit has just all the formers and wing ribs, no sheeting or sticks. So it would be basicly what you would need if you went with a f/g fuse. It wouldnt be hard to build the wing as a 3 pc, joined outside the v of each wing using a c/f tube etc.

There are quite a few of these around, but like other planes, popularity comes and goes, used to be a time nopt long ago it seemed like every man and his dog had one. Now its the P-51, P-38, P-40, P-47 or the spitfire thats every where. I like to have something different which is why I have chosen the Hurricane for my next build. I had a .90 sized one years ago I scratch build, and it was a sweet plane to fly, so I am looking forward to building and flying this one.

The bottom line is its your choice, but there are lots of good designs, and also lots of parts available.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 PM
foodstick

Viking is right, the stukas have been scarce around here lately. They used to be more common.

Another plane to build if you are feeling rambunctious wood be a Westland Lysander
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Nathan_L

On rcscalebuilder.com there are tons of build threads on the stuka. Some guys do a 3pc wing. I didn't bother because I have a trailer. If you don't go nuts on the scale detail and add a ton of paint it can come in at under 24 pounds and has a large wing area with dihedrel because of the gull wing and it just floats along. The ziroli one does well with a G-62 (or I see now the aerovate engines have a 62cc engine that has a rear carb meaning it doesn't stick out the cowl like the G62) or even a little larger - mine has a 3W80 only because I already had one.

I'd say really out of all "warbirds" it's the easiest to fly from my limited experience.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 PM
A&PMECH

I am an airframe and powerplant mechanic in the general aviation section. I have been building kits since the age of 14. I believe Top-Flite kits ae excellent. Working on my favorite airplane of all time...a Sea Fury. The kit is just awesome.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:17 PM
qldviking

[sm=stupid.gif]a lyssy, not that baby brings back memories, I was building one years ago as a full on scale project, approx 65" ws, with an OS-120 gemini for power, had it all framed up and all fitted out ready for covering when I moved cross country, and unfortunately it didnt survive the removalists tender (?) minstrations [:@][&:] One of those built in the 90" or bigger would be awesome hmmmmmm
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
spitfire60
My Feedback: (1)

dumorian
you should take look at Bob Holmans kit he has many in that 7 ft size some with fiberglass fuse and others price is good has laser cut parts ,plans most all needed -he is easy to talk to and to the point. his web site
is only a start he has much more than is shown-www.bhplans.com/

get phone number and call for whole story
Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

OK, you want "SEX APPEAL", get the vailly FW-190, put the scale spinner with cooling fan on it and a GT-80 zenoha in the nose. Available in glass fuse and the bird is rock solid with the serria gear, so what are you waiting for, go to the best fighter in the second war, the FW-190. I had a chance to talk to roy at the ram show, his response was to order the wing kit from precision cut kits, for the glass fuse, there's a difference between the built up and the glass fuse. Just a suggestion?! I plan On building mine in the spring of this upcoming year.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
LunaSea

I have a 1/6 IMP P-51 and a 1/6 IMP Zero in For Sale that might be just the thing. They are both VERY reasonable at $375 including the cockpit interior kits (plus shipping). Fiberglass fuse, balsa over foam wings, all wood and hardware included. These are very high quality kits, both right at 80" span.
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=584659[/link]
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
dumorian

Well, after much waffling about... and GREAT suggestions on thread, I've made a decision. A Meister P-47 razorback showed up on RCU at a substantial savings, so I have gone with that. It comes with the full wood kit as well as the fiberglass fuse and more. It also includes the main retracts and wheels. This gives me a great jump start on financing the project. This model has a great reputation for slow flying and easy landings. I was so very close to pulling the trigger on a Stuka and just might have to take on one of those as well.

I'm considering a 100 or so cc twin for it. Oh, and it comes with two cowlings to experiment with cowling flaps. Interesting. I've also found a nice 4 blade prop which would add a nice touch. The model is a 102" wingspan and should weigh in somewhere around 40 pounds. I haven't yet decided on a color scheme, but it looks like I have a good many options.

Again, thanks to everyone for the great input. I was looking hard at the P-47 but leaning towards the Stuka, until this came along. It wound up being a no-brainer. If not for the earlier posts about the P-47, I might not have looked seriously at this Meister kit.