Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Eindecker 90 build.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Eindecker 90 build.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:40 AM
wazzbat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Eindecker 90 build.

Just a thought but if you wanted a brassy type look for the wires then you could maybe use some acoustic guitar strings?  You'd have to pick them put though.  Some strings are a silver colour but you can get brass ones too.  I think the classical guitar strings are a brassy colour???  Black nylon coated leader wire would look very nice though.  Good Luck with it.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:57 AM
GaryHarris

Humm. I some strings laying around. They would probably better serve my plane than my guitar! [X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyMKjeGh1iY
Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
multimike

I am ALMOST finished scratch building a 40 size Taube from Balsa USA, I just cut a set of ailerons into the outboard section trailing edge and used bell cranks to operate them, no idea if they will be very effective I had nothing to go on, QUESTION, no where in the instruction do they mention that you had better put the tank in place before you cover up the front deck, there is no access afterwards, I opted to make the whole deck removeable rather than glued to the wing Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	1551848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36004.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	1551849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78816.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1551850  
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
mike526mp
My Feedback: (1)

Gary,

was that light ply in parts of  the fuselage?

thanks,
Mike
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM
fmfdoc

Sorry I'm late. Just found this build log. FYI for the future, SR Batteries has an Eindecker kit of 100" span but more they have accessories, namely aluminium tape, thin stuff that can be shaped over curves and then given a machine turned appearance with brass or steel wool and a drill. Check out their web site, they even have some videos that are helpfully. Hope this is a help.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryHarris
I belive I got it right. The instructions are very vague when it comes to building the ailerons.
Vague instructions ??? hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .............. I think that the whole instruction book should be rewritten.

Started work on my Eindecker and though I already have the fuselage complete, the wing is entirely a whole other matter. I feel that it is good that I am not a first time builder as I would just be sitting there, scratching my head, trying to figure out what the hell they are saying and what should I be doing.

Also, at this point in time, I do feel that BALSA USA could be or should be producing a kit that is laser cut. The parts coming out of my sheets are not exactly of the best quality, not to mention the parts that are warped.

I got tired of just assembling ARF's and that is part of the reason that I chose this kit. I wanted to get back into building. But this kit may drive me back to ARF's.

Kindly keep in mind folks, that I have about 64 years of model building experience under my belt.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Vague instructions ??? hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .............. I think that the whole instruction book should be rewritten.

Started work on my Eindecker and though I already have the fuselage complete, the wing is entirely a whole other matter. I feel that it is good that I am not a first time builder as I would just be sitting there, scratching my head, trying to figure out what the hell they are saying and what should I be doing.

Also, at this point in time, I do feel that BALSA USA could be or should be producing a kit that is laser cut. The parts coming out of my sheets are not exactly of the best quality, not to mention the parts that are warped.

I got tired of just assembling ARF's and that is part of the reason that I chose this kit. I wanted to get back into building. But this kit may drive me back to ARF's.

Kindly keep in mind folks, that I have about 64 years of model building experience under my belt.
Well everybody says, " Never say Never ". But even though I belong to the Balsa USA Brotherhood and am building this Eindecker 90, I really feel that this is my last Balsa USA / KIT build.

Really have gotten tired of an instruction booklet that to me is basically A** Backwards. Somebody at Balsa USA should sit down and rewrite the whole manual. The parts and even the quality of wood supplied also leave a lot to be desired. Did not realize that a builder would have to take stock wood supplied and make needed parts out of them as they could not even supply wood for the leading edges and other parts of the tail feathers.

Laser cut parts is pretty much the norm today with any model airplane. Balsa USA should also take a hint instead of supplying sheet parts that are die cut and really need quite a bit of easy handling when pushing the parts out.

Guess I could keep rattling on, but what good would that do either you folks or myself. I know that eventually I will have a nice looking and good flying Eindecker. But only because of my many, many, MANY years as a builder.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Well everybody says, " Never say Never ". But even though I belong to the Balsa USA Brotherhood and am building this Eindecker 90, I really feel that this is my last Balsa USA / KIT build.

Really have gotten tired of an instruction booklet that to me is basically A** Backwards. Somebody at Balsa USA should sit down and rewrite the whole manual. The parts and even the quality of wood supplied also leave a lot to be desired. Did not realize that a builder would have to take stock wood supplied and make needed parts out of them as they could not even supply wood for the leading edges and other parts of the tail feathers.

Laser cut parts is pretty much the norm today with any model airplane. Balsa USA should also take a hint instead of supplying sheet parts that are die cut and really need quite a bit of easy handling when pushing the parts out.

Guess I could keep rattling on, but what good would that do either you folks or myself. I know that eventually I will have a nice looking and good flying Eindecker. But only because of my many, many, MANY years as a builder.
After last evening , I think that I will keep rattling on. You ask what happened last evening Well, I removed the parts for the vertical stab from their sheets. You say, nothing wrong with that as that is what you are supposed to do ! Well, I had to cut them out of the sheets with an Exacto knife. The same way that I had to do about 64 years ago when I was building Guillows and Comet kits.

Unless I have come across ONE bad kit, I can not see how people claim that Balsa USA puts out a quality kit.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Bcool831

Hey guys. I bought one of these kits as well as aTaube 40. Can't wait to get started. Thanks for all the input and pics posted.
Barry