Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

O.K, Who are you and Why?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

O.K, Who are you and Why?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O.K, Who are you and Why?

I just got a little curious, so I thought it'd be fun to do this, plus,...I'm bored watching epoxy molds and filler dry so here we go.
The "Who" refers to what kinda person you see yourself as on here, you can classify this as rookie or a self proclaimed "guru" of the R/C universe......plus, how did you get involved in the hobby, your father/mother encourage it, a close friend, the simple sight of people flying model airplanes spark your intrest? Now for the why,...why do you still do it, and more importantly, why do you hang out here in RCU? Is it to keep you occupied?, the brotherhood? the help?or to help? the difference you make? to learn? or just to feel better about telling people how to "do it"?

So, with that I guess I have to start the thread, I don't care if it goes anywhere, just let you all know "who" and "why" I'm here. I somehow feel like I'm stalling but here we go......

I was born in 1976, grew up in new england,..born and raised there, but the one thing I'm cursed and blessed with is a great memory, I still remember like it was yesterday when my mother came into the baby room and started yelling at my two older brothers that the crib was not a play pen, and I remember her ripping the blanket off the top of the 4 posts on the crib. Yeah,....that was 32 years ago, so if you guessed it, I'm 33.To many it may seem I'm wiser than I should be for my age, but it was my mentors that did that for me. I got interested in R/C as a middle school kid, I remember going to a small hobby shop in a mall, yes the mall?!, the name of the place was "Eric Fuches", he actually had a spot in the mall. I bought a copy of R/C car action, what an issue! It had a picture of the late great Chris Chanelli on the cover, driving along in a ferrari 308GT with 2 hot blonds( although I didn't think girls were hot at the time) holding up a MRC Blackfoot truck. At that one point in time things clicked, I had to have R/C in my life, it was soo cool to me. I'm sure the mag hype had something to do with it, the car, the R/c car, the girls?! But anywho,...I pestered my parents for a R/C car, no dice......bummed I was. Well one year my parents in a valliant effort to make me get better grades in school said "if you get straight A's we'll get you a R/C car" The deal was on. The next thing I know I'm being driven to the hobby shop to get a R/C car, yup, I proved them wrong, I could do it, I just chose not to if there was no incentive. Well, we walked into the hobby shop and there was a goldberg mirage 540 hanging up from the ceiling, I instantly changed my mind that second from cars to planes. So there I stood and my dad asked which car Iliked, I said "none, I want a plane!!!" The next thing I heared was the hobby shop owner say "don't get him a plane, he'll crash it!".....I went home with a tamyia blackfoot.
So that's where the spark came from, someone told me I couldn't do something. Don't get me wrong, I loved that R/C truck, but I really wanted a plane since that one brief moment in the hobby shop. So we'll fast forward about 6 years, I now had a car and a job, what did I do besides go cruisin and girls??, ok before you call me out, I still didn't think girls were all that and a bag of chips yet. But I went out and bought my first R/C plane, an eagle II with a futaba 4 channel conquest radio and a supertigre 40 ring engine. I soloed on that plane, kinda by no choice, but the club I joined took me under thier wings and taught me how to fly, then one day about that time,...I said "it's time to land" ..... The next thing I know is the guy who's standing next to me (no buddy boxes then) just says "You got it" and walks away[X(]. I almost crapped my pants...... believe it or not, I landed a picture perfect landing. From then on I was addicted to flying, the years rolled on and the friendships grew, all the guys were great, the weather was always perfect and the planes never seemed to give you an grief. HI, I'm Ray, and I'm addicted to R/C planes.?![&o]
So here we are,.... really fast forward!?, somewhere around 13 years later and I'm sitting here wondering Why? Is it because I feel like a "Guru", nooo!,...hardly even close. Do I do it for bragging rights? Yeah right?!, this hobby I defend to my friends, they don't understand it and never will. I guess I do it because I think of my good times hanging out at the field with the old timer's and guys flying, it seemed like time stood still, nothing but sitting in the summer sun flying planes and talking about anything. Those were good times for me, and alway's will be, so when ever I open the RCM plans book and I see all the people holding thier creations and smiling, it reminds me of happier times. To be proud of what you do and call your own. Now let's talk about mentors, everybody has someone who fostered the hobby I hope, for me it was a hobby shop owner. He taught me how to build, to check your airplane and I even took a lesson or two from him on how to fly in the beginning. But over the years alot of what I've learned is from trial and error. So that brings me around to the last "why". Why do I hang out here? I do it to have fun, talk with others that do the same as me, learn and to help others that need a hand when needed. Sure I'll never be a moderator because of my un-PC comments, crude jokes I make or the once in a while fights I jump in on, trust me the list goes on and on?! But I'm here because we're all here and having the time of our lives doing what we want to do.

So I don't know how this post is going to go, but at least you all know where I stand and why I'm here on RCU. Someone once started a post in beginners fourm, show your mug,.....well I thought of the concequences of breaking every PC on RCU by posting my ugly mug, but I'll just take that chance now. Plus, My epoxy and filler are dry now, so I'll get back to sanding and working on my plane.

BTW, I know about the super sexy farmers tan going on in the pic, at least my girl still dig's me?!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62924.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1352282  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: O.K, Who are you and Why?

I raced full scale motorcycles on the drag strip and then to road racing and an incredible street racing career to start. Then moved into Dwarf Cars and Legend cars to late model stockers on the finer ovals here in the south. In 93 at Daytona I decided I couldn't stand the people I was running with and fulfilled the last of the contract and walked away.

About 6 years later my son was born and my wife wanted a plane to hang in his room..."on it" I answered and asked for help in choosing an appropriate model from a guy who was working as a salesman for me. At that time I couldn't tell one plane from another but knew enough about engines and anything else mechanical that I felt like this would be fun.

Said freind found a Hobbico SuperStar at a LHS for a reasonable price. We took it out with a customer who flew many years prior. He flew it around for a tank and landed. It was one of the coolest things I saw in my life and was hooked from there. He destroyed it on the next tank.

Still hooked I rebuilt it a few times before deciding it was hopeless and moved onto combat planes since the took a joke better. I flew all manner of SPAD and duct taped foam creations for about 3 years before deciding I could fly a nice plane again and what a difference a good plane made in my flying skills. My wife commented that all I needed was a good plane, she was right.

The need for speed still ruled my life and all my combat planes were as fast as allowable. I then started building prop jets and vintage race planes with the goal of being the fastest guy in my club. That took a little work since many of them raced F1 back in the day and one was a former overall speed record holder.

I made the move into pylon racing via 1/2a planes and have enjoyed racing since. This year I hope to race 428 at least once and hit 180 at the Speed Rally.

Speed Rally you ask? It's an event I invented based on the Euro Speed Cup done in Germany with a lot less rules. It's all about just going fast and having a good time. 2010 will be the third year and hopefully the best. I've not been the fastest guy of the day yet but in the top three both years.

I'm thankfull for my best flying buddy Seth who enjoys the speed thrill and racing as much as I do.

ps. have you built that Rivets I sent you yet?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
planebuilder66

Unfortunatly, the rivits, the LST and a few others I haven't gotten around to, due to work, other hobbies and the remaining planes that have been waiting for finishing for some years, like the good old TF P-47 I've been giving a facelift for the last 2 weeks, complete resheeting job and glassing it.....But I will build a rivits, still got a norvel .061 for it sitting in a box, along with the others I plan on building within the next year or two. Sometimes, giant isn't always what it's cracked up to be.
Thanks vic, if I haven't said it before for the plans.

Name:	Us55344.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1352307  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
AH1G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got into airplanes when the Cox PT19 came out. It was a birthday present & I went though a lot of wings, fusalages and rubber bands.
I didn't know anyone who flew models at that time, so I was on my own. It wasn't until there was an AMA meet at the Sandpoint Navel Air Station a year later that I met someone just down the block that helped me out. I transitioned to freeflights, fuses and timers. Then with help, I started building C/L's. I don't know how many I built and crashed, but it was a bunch.
During HS I discovered boats not models, but fast race boats, my first was a 5x10' cat with a 110 merc on it, it barely floated but boy was it FAST!
It was also during this time a freind of mine introduced me to 1:1's and at 17 learned to fly in a Taylor Craft. A short time later the draft was going catch up with me, so I joined up. At one point I was in Virginia (Ft. Eustis, MO school) and got caught with a SE 5 in my locker.
After I was rif'ed I returned to models and R/C as a way to kill time between jobs, I only worked about six months a year as a Commercial Diver.
A neighbor turned me on to sailplanes and man did it get in my blood. A guy I flew with told me to buy a Maesto, I did and flew the heck out of the first one until, I launched one day with lots of lift, the plane was on rails. As it flew south I discovered I hand'nt turned on the radio...
I started built another then another then one for the designer, Bob Dodgson; then for Dave Banks. I think I built about thirty Maestro's for Bob in the next year or so. I built a small sailplane for an Allied Van Lines commercial, sold winchs and quit a number of power and scale models for various folks.
An event in my life happened and one day I gave away everything R/C. Kraft , Futaba and EK radios, batteries, kits, winchs and all.
In 2000 I "retired" and moved to a small town (23 people) in Eastern WA.
Last year I got the R/C bug again. So... I'm back collecting everything I can get my hands on, mostly off the web, thanks Tower. The nearest hobby shop is about 160 miles away.
I consider myself a beginner, again, a beginner with some OLD knowledge and just enoughknowledge to make myself dangerous.
I gleen information and links from RCU and enjoy the heck out of it. The hobby has changed considerably in the last 35 years or so. Weed wacker conversions were just being talked about and I had just heard about 4 strokers. ARF's and RTF's were unheard of. I think we called them "modlerers models" all custom built!

Now I sit hear with 3 flyable planes, 2 sailplanes and one power, damn I need to build those floats. Two on the boards, a Hostetler 206 and a Super Skybolt. Four kits on the shelf and I only "need" a few more things...

The only thing I really need is, to put in that runway on the back forty!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Alex7403

Why am I here at RCU?
Well I just like radio controlled airplanes and as I was helped at the beginning so I’m trying to help others as well, sometimes I learn a lot of stuff just from looking at pictures people post.

How I got into RC?
When I was about 13 in the 80’s I was building plastic and paper models than I was reading books of pilots from WW2 – “Dam Busters†and “The Big Show†I was very impressed.
Once some friend of the family asked me if these plastic airplanes can fly, well the gears in the head started turning and I went to an airfield where people were flying RC airplanes to get an idea what needs to be done to make it fly.
As a kid I liked building stuff and particularly liked engines and mechanical stuff, I knew where the RC field because it was near the junkyard where I used to spend time.
My parents were worried about me spending time out of the house so they said find yourself some sort of activity for after school, well the choice was obvious – airplanes.

I went to an after school activity club where kids were building gliders, cable lines and RC airplanes all from scratch, it was the 80’s and at that time in Israel it was an economical resection and I couldn’t afford RC airplanes so I started building a cable line airplane for a black widow 0.049, from that day that’s it my head was working around it.

Than came military service, engineering degree and in the year 1999 I got by mistake(?) to tower hobbies website, well the seeds where there all the time and a new RC package appeared and very fast I was flying a trainer, funny but the instructor was some guy I meat then at that club.
Than in 2002 immigration to the US and since 2006 I’m in RC world, I’m 41 years of age now and I’m in his hobby because I need to build something.
Now I’m working on a Goldberg chipmunk.

Name:	Lj23620.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1352378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30954.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1352379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67165.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1352380  
Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 AM
planebuilder66

Alex7403,
Which tank are you in? My girlfriend cleans the mystic aquarium tanks for fun?![sm=spinnyeyes.gif] yes, even today in the 25 degree weather she jumps in. I dive too, but it's more of a summer activity in the atlantic, hopefully, I can dive the U-boat off the shore of rhode island, but then again, I treat that as a burial ground for brave mariners. Glad to hear some background of others here on RCU.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Alex7403

Tank? I'm enjoying the nitrogen intoxication in the red sea.
There is the "Thistelgorm" a cargo ship in the red sea hundreds tons of ammo and equipment to play with when the wreck is not moving.
Wreck diving you know they move sometimes right and I'm not sure the old ammo will not go off, at least at the wrecks I dove to.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 AM
planebuilder66

I dove a few times on the antilla down in Aruba, it was a blast wreck diving, just being that close to history and 80' down at the keel, then pop up on the surface and see the mast of the german freighter. I'll never forget it for the rest of my life. I dive regularly in the summer to late fall off of block island, I'm sure there's room for one more on my boat if you ever want to go.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Alex7403

Thanks, I'll see where I'm at when the summer comes.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:12 AM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

alex!!!!
before readin the whole thread i new that
the pictures are from israel - mid 70's, WOW fiat 850 in the back and an old renault 12

were is the pic taken at???

shalom
gadi
Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Alex7403

Hi Gadi,
This is the early 80's in Beer Sheva now there is a neighborhood instead of that airfield, tut this is how my teens use to look like.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 AM
sir crashallot

ok let me crank up the old boiler for my brain to start and register events in a readable order.
hi guys im Brent and im 23.
From what i remember i always had a thing for geting my dads books out and flicking through the pages hoping to find somthing cool to look at. this one particular day id picked a book out and it had in it some remote controll boats. my dad then said he always fancied buying one but back then they where expensive. but when my mother took ill with cancer my dad decided with my mum i needed an hobby to keep my mind occupied which looking back was the best thing anyone could do to keep there kids minds at a safe distance from what was going off. so off we all went to a model shop and we had a look round and my dad was talking to the guy who owned williamsons model shop in bently doncaster. in the long run up to my dad deciding he bought a vmar aero40 brand new and then bought a os la40 which was not fast enough for the plane. but at that time we didnt know this. he also bought the radio equipment too. then we went back home and that was that. i watchen him take the massive box with the plane in out of the car and take it upstars allong with all the other equipment and it was a while before i saw it again. anyway my mum started her treatment which meant she was out of the house every day at 7am and they both didnt get back till at least 5pm and to his went on for some time. then it all came to a stop and things apeared to be back to normal. i questioned my dad about when we would be building the plane and he said i dont know. obiousley looking back he was fighting his own battle inside knowing he would become a lone parent at the age of 71 and he sort of new how hard it was going to be. so a few days went by and i come home from school to find my dad sat at the table assemblying this hugearf. well i was more then excited at the sight of this, i was extatick. i had never seen one up close before. anyway my dad had loads of screws and bolts all over the table so he asked me to stay back away from the table because he was panicking of losing a bolt or screw. but asi tend to remember he was fiting the engine mount. but anyway after a few weeks it was in a flyable condition. we took it the local flying club and they aranged to test fly it. well 2 weekends later of attending they where still trying to work out the bugs. eventualy all had been sorted and the engine had been broken in and tuned they attempted to get her in the air. well what a fiasco that was, the plane needed full length of the take off strip just to build up speed. then at the very last minute when he was about to chop the throttle it lep up into the air at some very alarming angles. i just closed my eyes and turned away expecting to here a big thud and then my dad going oh F**** in hell. but no thud instead i heard this little engine trying its best to fly this plane around. it really needed a 46 2 stroke according to one of the blokes who was watching. anyway he got the plane back on the ground with no damage and it wass declared it needed a 46 not a 40. And that was that. it never came back out to fly for some months. a fewm monthster it was officialy just me and him now and i was really down by it all. he said have we to go for a ride brent, and i used to love going for rides with dad in his car so i said yeah. i had no idea we were off to the models shop or id have been bouncing around the car. we arrived there and he picked up a sc46 2 stroke. i was over the moon because i new thats what it needed. so a few weeks later we where down the field to test the model again, the oh so time sonsuming event of braking yet another engine in. came to the test flight and he opend the throttle and the plane just flew down the strip leaping in and out of the fairly long grass. one last bound and she was airbourne. she looked allot faster then before and i just could not take my eyes off the plane. cutting this long story short i eventualy learned to fly and that was the point when i for the first time felt i had acheived somthing ad the feeling is still there everytime i take off and land a model or it was its a while since i last few about 4 years now since. then for some reason my dad became ill and of coarse he was elderly and in his 80's i was just the usual teenager at 18 and it was the point where i had to take a break in the flying, i ended up losing intreest due to not being able to get to the field. i sold the models and everything went to pot. the flying was over the weekends with me and my dad sat at the field has gone he 2 had gone. it was just me. id been left with no family as such to help me out and show me how to run a house and finance things like bills and expenses. luckily the house i was in was owned by our council and they let me take on the tenancy after he passed away but back then they offered no means of support on how to run a home. i was in deep deep water. i eventualy worked things out learned how to finance bills and stuff but by this time i was in deep debt. but alas i crawled out of the hole i was in and things seemed to get better. its only been recently have i been able to return to the flying field to watch the planes fly and it does seem weird to be alone with no companion ie my dad by my side. but up and until 2008 id dreamed of geting back into the hobbie and i managed to drop on bits and pieces on ebay like an os 40 engine loads f balsa and other bits and pieces. and i started to build an ultimate. i then met a chap on here who happens to be the threads starter and he and me have got to know each other very well and hes beenthere since 2008 hepling me with advice and tips and so forth, i now am almost ready for flying again and have quite a number of airframes. i have a box from the usa due anytime now full of stuff to finish other models off including a greatplanes extra 300 60 size and a set of 2.4ghz radio and other stuff (Thanks Ray). i havent flown in years but i know for a fact its going to posses no problems to meas the knowledge is stillthere and i have good equipment thanks tomy good pal inamerica.i just cant wait to get the old engine turned over and get a good old wiff of the burnt fuel and the wind from the prop in my face. now i have a new partner to go to the field with and she loves it, thats my girlfriend.

well thats that, that is how i made it into the hobbie and that is how im returning to the hobby. theres lots of facts i havent included but i think that alone is long enough for anyone to read.
and yeah heres a pic of me too and if ur comp breaks dont come sueing my ass

Name:	Sq46406.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1352447  
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Mr67Stang

Back in the early 80's my dad and I went to the local hobby shop in Ancorage, Alaska as we had just moved there. I was into building plastic model planes. This hobby shop also sold R/C and had a very large F-86 Saber jet (ducted fan) hanging up and I knew then that that is what I wanted to do someday. Eventually my dad bought me an R/C buggy and my R/C hobby began. It was not untill 2005 that I had time, money and a place to fly. I bought my first plane. It was a little ParkZone 3 ch Piper Cub. I tought myself to fly after having paid for the thing about 5 times over. I then got Real Flight and deployed to Iraq. On my downtime I practiced. After I got back I bought a Hobbico Nexstar and found the local club and joined. My desire to build never went away so naturally I started kit building some of my planes (yes, I do ARF's as well). As my tag line indicates, I love toys. The Flightstar SCII ultralight was sold before I ever got the chance to fly it but I will get another one some day...

Name:	Mk27251.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1352474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38595.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1352475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41884.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1352476  
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Pillzee

Well I must say I am the rookie. I have only been flying since last spring but see many years of this happening.

As long as I can remember I have always had an interest in things that could move themselves. I can remember as a kid have a small rc car teathered to the controler by a wire and if you put some oil in the exhaust pipe it had a heating element to make it look like smoke coming out of the exhaust. In elementary school I had my first real r/c car, I believe it was a cricket and I loved the thing but finally beat it to death. I really did not do much RC stuff after that till about 8 years ago when i was livng in New Jersey. I was working with my best friend at the Motorcycle shop when some kids came in with some traxxas cars. The itch set in again. My friend went out and got a traxxas nitro sport and we started playing with it around his house. We eventually starting going to the local race track to watch the races. At one of the races I saw a helicopter that looked like it was totally out of control and I loved it. I started asking questions about heli's and despite much warnings to fly planes first and get a simulator I went out and bout a electric CP Heli. Needless to say it ended bad and i went and bought a simulator, g3.5. I tried the Helis on the simulator and it was always crash and burn so i tried a trainer plane instead. Man that was a breeze after trying a heli. Well I put off buying a plane till I had to have knee surgery and lost my job because of it. So I moved back to NC and I said if I am moving I am going to have fun in a new town. As soon as I moved down here I did research and got the Hangar 9 Aplha 40 trainer. Best bang for the buck and it came with a specktrum radio and all. So here I am, a alpha 40, kadet senior, and I am almost done with my 4*60 build and going strong.

Put up some pics of my other toys, just hanging with the brother, and me hanging at the Nall

Name:	ax73017.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1352480   Click image for larger version

Name:	av70029.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1352481   Click image for larger version

Name:	lq37029.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1352482  
Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Murdoc

ORIGINAL: sir crashallot

ok let me crank up the old boiler for my brain to start and register events in a readable order.
hi guys im Brent and im 23.
From what i remember i always had a thing for geting my dads books out and flicking through the pages hoping to find somthing cool to look at. this one particular day id picked a book out and it had in it some remote controll boats. my dad then said he always fancied buying one but back then they where expensive. but when my mother took ill with cancer my dad decided with my mum i needed an hobby to keep my mind occupied which looking back was the best thing anyone could do to keep there kids minds at a safe distance from what was going off. so off we all went to a model shop and we had a look round and my dad was talking to the guy who owned williamsons model shop in bently doncaster. in the long run up to my dad deciding he bought a vmar aero40 brand new and then bought a os la40 which was not fast enough for the plane. but at that time we didnt know this. he also bought the radio equipment too. then we went back home and that was that. i watchen him take the massive box with the plane in out of the car and take it upstars allong with all the other equipment and it was a while before i saw it again. anyway my mum started her treatment which meant she was out of the house every day at 7am and they both didnt get back till at least 5pm and to his went on for some time. then it all came to a stop and things apeared to be back to normal. i questioned my dad about when we would be building the plane and he said i dont know. obiousley looking back he was fighting his own battle inside knowing he would become a lone parent at the age of 71 and he sort of new how hard it was going to be. so a few days went by and i come home from school to find my dad sat at the table assemblying this huge arf. well i was more then excited at the sight of this, i was extatick. i had never seen one up close before. anyway my dad had loads of screws and bolts all over the table so he asked me to stay back away from the table because he was panicking of losing a bolt or screw. but as i tend to remember he was fiting the engine mount. but anyway after a few weeks it was in a flyable condition. we took it the local flying club and they aranged to test fly it. well 2 weekends later of attending they where still trying to work out the bugs. eventualy all had been sorted and the engine had been broken in and tuned they attempted to get her in the air. well what a fiasco that was, the plane needed full length of the take off strip just to build up speed. then at the very last minute when he was about to chop the throttle it lep up into the air at some very alarming angles. i just closed my eyes and turned away expecting to here a big thud and then my dad going oh F**** in hell. but no thud instead i heard this little engine trying its best to fly this plane around. it really needed a 46 2 stroke according to one of the blokes who was watching. anyway he got the plane back on the ground with no damage and it wass declared it needed a 46 not a 40. And that was that. it never came back out to fly for some months. a few m monthster it was officialy just me and him now and i was really down by it all. he said have we to go for a ride brent, and i used to love going for rides with dad in his car so i said yeah. i had no idea we were off to the models shop or id have been bouncing around the car. we arrived there and he picked up a sc46 2 stroke. i was over the moon because i new thats what it needed. so a few weeks later we where down the field to test the model again, the oh so time sonsuming event of braking yet another engine in. came to the test flight and he opend the throttle and the plane just flew down the strip leaping in and out of the fairly long grass. one last bound and she was airbourne. she looked allot faster then before and i just could not take my eyes off the plane. cutting this long story short i eventualy learned to fly and that was the point when i for the first time felt i had acheived somthing ad the feeling is still there everytime i take off and land a model or it was its a while since i last few about 4 years now since. then for some reason my dad became ill and of coarse he was elderly and in his 80's i was just the usual teenager at 18 and it was the point where i had to take a break in the flying, i ended up losing intreest due to not being able to get to the field. i sold the models and everything went to pot. the flying was over the weekends with me and my dad sat at the field has gone he 2 had gone. it was just me. id been left with no family as such to help me out and show me how to run a house and finance things like bills and expenses. luckily the house i was in was owned by our council and they let me take on the tenancy after he passed away but back then they offered no means of support on how to run a home. i was in deep deep water. i eventualy worked things out learned how to finance bills and stuff but by this time i was in deep debt. but alas i crawled out of the hole i was in and things seemed to get better. its only been recently have i been able to return to the flying field to watch the planes fly and it does seem weird to be alone with no companion ie my dad by my side. but up and until 2008 id dreamed of geting back into the hobbie and i managed to drop on bits and pieces on ebay like an os 40 engine loads f balsa and other bits and pieces. and i started to build an ultimate. i then met a chap on here who happens to be the threads starter and he and me have got to know each other very well and hes beenthere since 2008 hepling me with advice and tips and so forth, i now am almost ready for flying again and have quite a number of airframes. i have a box from the usa due anytime now full of stuff to finish other models off including a greatplanes extra 300 60 size and a set of 2.4ghz radio and other stuff (Thanks Ray). i havent flown in years but i know for a fact its going to posses no problems to me as the knowledge is still there and i have good equipment thanks to my good pal in america. i just cant wait to get the old engine turned over and get a good old wiff of the burnt fuel and the wind from the prop in my face. now i have a new partner to go to the field with and she loves it, thats my girlfriend.

well thats that, that is how i made it into the hobbie and that is how im returning to the hobby. theres lots of facts i havent included but i think that alone is long enough for anyone to read.
and yeah heres a pic of me too and if ur comp breaks dont come sueing my ass

Wow man..
I just want to thank you for sharing your story with us, and I hope you get alot of hours in the air!
And again, thanks!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
sir crashallot

no probs murdoc, i look at it like this, i entered this hobby through some not so nice events, the hobby was there to take my mindaway from it all and give me some happytime, happy times really isnt the word to describe this hobby. it truely is an experiance of a lifetime you can go and do every weekend and its somthing you can share with ur future children. all i can say is just wait till i get access to see my son, he has got one hell of a hobby to join if he wants to and i hope he drives his mum up the wall about planes like i did. but yeah this hobby really does rule and its excellent for father and son bonding and i also think its an hobby that should be shared so drag ur buddys with ya to the flying field next time and let them have a go ya never know they may be flying allong side you in months to come as it truely is an adictive hobby.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 PM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Alex7403

Why am I here at RCU?
Well I just like radio controlled airplanes and as I was helped at the beginning so I’m trying to help others as well, sometimes I learn a lot of stuff just from looking at pictures people post.

How I got into RC?
When I was about 13 in the 80’s I was building plastic and paper models than I was reading books of pilots from WW2 – “Dam Busters†and “The Big Show†I was very impressed.
Once some friend of the family asked me if these plastic airplanes can fly, well the gears in the head started turning and I went to an airfield where people were flying RC airplanes to get an idea what needs to be done to make it fly.
As a kid I liked building stuff and particularly liked engines and mechanical stuff, I knew where the RC field because it was near the junkyard where I used to spend time.
My parents were worried about me spending time out of the house so they said find yourself some sort of activity for after school, well the choice was obvious – airplanes.

I went to an after school activity club where kids were building gliders, cable lines and RC airplanes all from scratch, it was the 80’s and at that time in Israel it was an economical resection and I couldn’t afford RC airplanes so I started building a cable line airplane for a black widow 0.049, from that day that’s it my head was working around it.

Than came military service, engineering degree and in the year 1999 I got by mistake(?) to tower hobbies website, well the seeds where there all the time and a new RC package appeared and very fast I was flying a trainer, funny but the instructor was some guy I meat then at that club.
Than in 2002 immigration to the US and since 2006 I’m in RC world, I’m 41 years of age now and I’m in his hobby because I need to build something.
Now I’m working on a Goldberg chipmunk.
Hmm. Diving and no reg in place, Nitrogen Narcosis!! HA! Happens to a guy we dive with all the time, at 75 feet he gets real happy and thinks he's a fish!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
AH1G

Nitrogen Narcosis at 75 feet! The guy needs to quit smoking and get a new hobby, R/C maybe?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stang, you thought of racing with us this year?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Murdoc

Here comes a short story of me, and the beginning of my rc interest.
It all started back when I was 6 or 7 years old, my mom and dad split up, so every 2 weeks I was living with him. He lived next to a huge hobby shop, and I remember I loved those large gliders that were hanging in the ceiling. When I was 8 years old my dad bought me a 2meter free flight glider that I flew for 1 year and I loved it.
Then he bought me a rc car with fuel engine. From that moment I was hooked on rc!
I was dreaming of one day to get a trainer 40 size. I was lucky enough to get a multiplex twinstar, joined the local club and learned to fly.
My dad had a heart condition and had lost some of his hand coordination so he couldnt learn to fly, but he loved to watch me fly. He bought me a 40 size fuel trainer on my 13th birthday! I remember it was a tunder tiger trainer 40. Flew that one a few years and I totally loved it! When I turned 16 my dad passed away, and the rc interest kinda faded a bit+ I had no one to drive me to the field. Now Im 20 years old and love rc planes more then ever! Saving up for a car so that I can fly at the local club field, so maybe next summer
Here is a pic btw.

Name:	Jh15707.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	1352798  
Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
planebuilder66

Murdoc, you'll get there, just keep working at it, you'll get what you want if you keep at it. By the way, your avitar made me remember one of my friends had a sticker on his nissan 280z like that, except it said, "Your girl Inside", I loved that sticker and always wanted to put on on my jeep.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
box car

I was about 11 years old when I got my first engine and a can of gas was $.35. I cut grass all summer and did the snow thing in the winter and all my money went for airplanes. All we had then was control line models. My first engine was an OK Cub 049 the next engine I got was 015 after that I moved into the big time I got a Fox 35 the engine of all engines to me at that time. Will I am 70 years old now and this hobby is my life, I fly off my driveway now its 300 feet long with 100 acres at the end of it, I just love it.
Ken
Old 01-09-2010, 06:05 PM
sir crashallot

a fox 35, i have one of those with silencer, ned to strip it down and de gunk it as its gunked up bad. has no throtle either, may have to build a flying wing for it. what where those engines like?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Daryl_y

A short story about me hum....

I guess I am in this hobby because I am my father son. My father was an engineer for Mcdonnell Douglas and I grew up with an ingrained interest in aviation. When I was 9 or so my father regained an interest in a hobby that he had abanondoned many years before I was born, radio controlled airplanes. I too became fascinated by this hobby and with a bit of help from my father built a Balsa USA Swizzle Stick and first soled when I was 11. My father was very talented builder and built several world class scale planes. I remained very interested in the hobby until my junior year in High School where sports, girls and a part time job took and up all my spare time.

Fast forward too about 6 or 7 years ago. Now in my middle 20's out of school, high school football career long gone, a decent job, and house with a basement I got the bug again, I dug an old plane out of my fathers basement that I built many years earlier put some new radio gear in it and went flying. Been hooked since.

I enjoy flying more than I do building but I almost always choose to build my own rather than assemble an ARF. Following my mindset of enjoying flying over building nearly all of the planes I have built have been fairly simple sport & sport scale models, perhaps someday I will have the desire to build my self "a masterpiece"

My interest in aviations extends beyond my hobby and into my employment.. I have been a Machinist, CNC Programmer and Engineer for a defense/aerospace contractor Seyer Industries www.seyerind.com. I also have two other long time hobbies playing guitar (have a fair collection of top end guitars) and I am still a sucker for a good video game.

Name:	Mk26143.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1352863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80559.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1352864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64122.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1352865  
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
SPLIT S

I got my start in airplanes when I was a kid. First with my Dad and then when I got to be around 11 or 12 my older brother. I remember my brother building his first kit, a MEN trainer. Finished it in purple and green, or something just as hideous I think. Tagged along with him to the field and just watched for the longest time. Finally got my shot at the sticks and have been with it ever since. That was back in 75 or so. I used to build the free flight rubber Guillows and Comet kits. You know, the kits where evreything was 1/16" stringers on sheets that you had to cut apart. I still remember my Dad showing me how to cover them with the tissue paper and watching with amazement how it would shrink up tight when sprayed with a little water. I've built all kinds of things ever since. I think I get alot of that from my Dad. He was always tinkering with stuff. I can't even guess how many plastic models I've built. I have shelves of them to build even today.

I've always been a builder. ARF's, for all their convinience, just don't hold much interest for me. Not knocking them really, (well maybe a little) but just the trip to the hobby shop, picking out your next project and getting it home to plan the build is like Disney World to me. I consider myself a pretty good craftsman, but then I see some of the Top Gun stuff and realize how far I have to go. But that's part of the fun, learning something new and applying it to the build on the table.

I'm turning 46 this year, and am starting to think about what all I want to do. It seems like a mountain of stuff. There are so many planes I would like to model, so many interests I lay awake in bed thinking about. WWI, WWII, jets... it goes on and on. I have a few kits that I can't wait to get to but find I'm always thinking about something else. Now it's an Albatros DIII.

It's a disease, it has to be. And if I have to suffer from one I'm glad it's that. Off to the Funaero website.... WWI is calling.

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.