Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Good news from SIG

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Good news from SIG

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good news from SIG

Just received an e-mail from MIke at SIG regarding verification on a part number wire set for the Astro Hog. I did not expect such a fast response from him, but I've always had excellent customer service from Mike and SIG reps.I had mentioned that my wife had ordered me a kit for X-mas, but due to a balsa shortage and a previous shipment they received which was not very high quality, lot of kits were on backorder. He just informed me they received their balsa shipment today, and it was very high quality stuff. So for of us that have kits on order, it should'nt be to long before they start shipping them out.

Cal
Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good news from SIG

Great!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
ARUP

Sig is such a great company! Good on you for working with all the great folks there, past and present.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
GAP-RCU

That's great to hear! My family ordered a Christmas kit for me too.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

They do not come any better than Sig.  Makes no differance wether it's customer service on product quality.   
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to burst yer bubble but my hobby guy talked to great planes today and they say that the owner of sig had a heart attack and that the company is up for sale.

Can somebody confirm this? [X(]

If this is true then it might go under like goldberg [&o]
Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I talked to David Redden on the phone today and he confirmed that Sig now has their shippment of balsa. David's words were that it was some of the best balsa he's ever seen. Anyway, they are now cutting kits and they are already rolling out the front door. So the kits should be back available very soon if they already aren't.

Ken
Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Trax540
My Feedback: (1)

I also would never want to start any rumors. But i was at the LHS the other day and he told me as well that Sig was in the talks of selling.

I REALLY hope they do not stop production on kits like everyone else if it did happen [:'(]
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
GaryHarris

Starting rumors like this can cause a downfall in bussiness for Sig. I don't think it's cool.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Starting rumors like this can cause a downfall in bussiness for Sig. I don't think it's cool.

Or it could get some people off the fence about buying kits and save Sig's financial hide. It is much easier to sell a company whose products are in demand.

People talk. It is one of the few freedoms that we have left.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I wouldn't believe anything you hear in a hobby shop, especially from the owner, I'm not saying that the owner is not telling the truth or steering you wrong, but most owners will tell you what they want you to hear so you choose something they have. I was once told about 4 years ago by a hobby shop owner that goldberg models didn't exist anymore, and he is a key player in the AMA in my district. So who are you going to believe? the shop owner?, the gossip queens that hang out at the shop? or maybe we should wait till sig makes a public statement, yeah, that sounds more reasonable. Especially since they've been ordering balsa,...I don't think they plan on quitting, selling or even remotely moving into the history pages. It's just been a supply issue with wood, look at CMP, even they're out of stock on planes due to all the wind farms popping up around the world. I would bet that if sig started to show more planes "in-stock" on the web site, they would see a immediate increase in sales via the web, why, builders are loyal to good kits that don't put junk wood into good designs, point blank. Otherwise,..they would be owned by another well known manufacture that ships hollow lite-ply in almost every kit they sell?!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Or it could get some people off the fence about buying kits and save Sig's financial hide. It is much easier to sell a company whose products are in demand.

People talk. It is one of the few freedoms that we have left.

Ed Cregger

Or it could make some belive that Sig will be gone soon with no product support to follow. That could turn people away from buying Sig products based on unfounded internet rumors and finally give up on the best kits ever offered.

Market manipulation can easily be done with false rumors and untill I hear Mike say so, I will not belive those rumors as I hope others will not.

Unless we lose sight of the "Free Market System"!
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Nathan_L

Rumors are rumors but let's be honest. When you are talking months and up to 1/2 a year to get your basic bread and butter kits out people start to talk. There really wouldn't be much rumor if people were getting SIG stuff on a regular basis and even Bax from Tower said on RCU they dropped SIG last year because they couldn't get product from them.

Maybe an unfounded rumor but it didn't start out of thin air. Even the hobby shop here that has a few SIG kits when I asked about ordering another said "Toss up as to wether SIG is even still in business or not", he was joking but when you can't get anything from them what's the difference.

Good for SIG tho if they can start shipping some stuff out.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

They have, from what some here have said and the post was started about. We're not talking about a mear 10'x10'x6' box of good balsa, they were waiting for a 53' semi trailer full to the top of balsa, if not 2 of them. That alone is a huge investment, how much does anyone think a box packed full to the top around 1'x1'x4' costs? I'd bet around 300 bucks, so imagine the 400,000 + dollar container of wood they just bought to make kits again.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
GaryHarris

Theres is no honesty in rumors.

And sorry If I get a little passionate. I'm a builder, not a hater.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Theres is no honesty in rumors.

And sorry If I get a little passionate. I'm a builder, not a hater.
Rumors are rumors, but not being able to get Sig's products are a fact. Now that de-branded Senioritas are showing up at Nitroplanes, one has to wonder how Sig's management got them to wherever they are. The irony in Sig not being able to get their own products while Nitroplanes can is distressing.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM
TFF

A lot of people have gotten burned on the balsa market in the last 2 years. A local guy bought a shipping container full to try to start a balsa company; because of inflation of the price, they would not ship it to him, because they had much higher paying customers. He finally got one 2 years later and after filing bankrupt. They sell to the highest bidder, not first come with asking price. Most of the good stuff goes to Japan for ship building and the next biggest lot goes to china. Model building is probably 1% of the market.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:06 AM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

When Sig puts it out the door it will be right!   This can not be said for everyone.  Just My 2 cents worth.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: jship

When Sig puts it out the door it will be right! This can not be said for everyone. Just My 2 cents worth.
Hey guys, lets buy American as much as we can, Sig, Du-Bro, Sullivan, Aerotrend, Higley, Fourmost, etc. Let us never forget, these companies got us up and running to where we are today!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
twn

My apologies, my intention was not to start rumors, but rather concern for the owner’s medical condition and for the state of the company. I am a long time fan of Sig. My first plane was a Sig and I’m still building Sig kits. If the owner is going through a rough time then my heart goes out to the family..
Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Thatsakitbuilt

I've only been in this hobby just a little over 3 years. I love it. My first plane was an LT-40 kit. Thought i was out of my league when I opened the box. But I had been reading and reading inRCU and gathered alot of information before Ieven considered this hobby. Always wanted to fly, but was very timid on whatto buy. This forum had the information i was looking for and I made the plunge. With the help of RCKens LT40 thread, and the manual/quality kitSIG supplied, itwasn't as hard as I thought. Their product was high quality. I had one kit that was short a piece, called them up and they shipped it to me at no charge and no questions asked. I've ordered parts from them on several occasions and always, Great company, great customer service, and good quality kits,and I'll continue to buy from them. Since then I've bought a total of 8 kits from them. Witha couple more waiting to be boxed and shipped from SIG. I'm sure I'll want to try more challenging builds down the road, but for a easy enjoyable build, SIG is it. Love they way they fly. I'm wanting to stock up on my kits for future builds,and SIG kits will be on that shelfalso. Just my newbee 2 cents worth.

Cal
Old 01-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Star7

I ordered a 4* kit three weeks ago and got it about ten days ago. There was a death in their management a year or so ago that interrupted communications with the Chinese factory that produces the arfs. Everyone, including the balsa companies, have been having trouble getting material that isn't firewood. The kit I got is the usual SIG; first rate balsa.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 AM
spiceflyer

SWEET
Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

That is great news GO SIG!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
kestrel0222
My Feedback: (1)

I have been trying to get my hands on a Sig Citabria kit for a while now with no results. I contacted Sig just this morning in regards to this matter. Mike Lee replied back within minutes telling me that they just received a new shipment of balsa and that kit (Citabria) will be available in about (3) weeks.

I have built MANY Sig kits over my 37+ years in this hobby. In my opinion, they are the best around!!!! Of course, I come from the "old school" of building!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.