Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

If kits didn't exist ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Build from Plans
42.75%
Fly ARF's
14.50%
Build from Plans and Fly ARF's
38.93%
Take up knitting
3.82%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

If kits didn't exist ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If kits didn't exist ?

Mine's going to be a ghost rider, so no dry-humping going on in the cockpit,....that last word is not he;lping my case, but no ca hinges for me, I use robart, I might just have to recover it as well, the wings have the ugliest wingtips I've ever seen, little balsa ribs going from the last rib to the tip, it looks horendious.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
barndawg77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm...I've never seen that plane be "in stock", along with about 40% of all the other planes on their website!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:11 PM
davidgeorge212

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

But youll never see me with a 2 stroke on an ARF!

What about a 2 stroke on a kit!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
planebuilder66

I think any 2 stroke in general is crazy talk for him. But I might be able to really make him feel like a school kid again, I also have a hostetler skybolt waiting for a build (soon) that I plan on putting a os gemini 3.20 in it, come on now,.....4 cycle, 4 cylinder, feel a little better?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

But youll never see me with a 2 stroke on an ARF!

What about a 2 stroke on a kit!

I have a Herr Cloud Ranger on the build with a TT .07 in the works. If a comparible 4 stroke was offered, I would go 4 stroke. Not saying that anybody is right or wrong, I just prefer 4 strokes.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That christen Eagle is a nice looking plane. We had one out to our field a little over a year back and it is really nice looking. Never got to see it fly though, the wierdest starter mishap I've seen yet dashed the hopes of flying that day. Anyway after getting ready to break my New Years resolution, no new planes until the build board is clear, I was saved, they are out of stock.

Don
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
planebuilder66

They are out of stock indefinatly, no longer made. I bought this years ago, and I still built kits, this is awaiting finishing, my problem was I had an issue with a fiberglass part, the customer support sucked. I even offered to buy the part, they didn't respond, so I almost therw it out, but instead, I put it in the box and left it alone. I can fix the part, but it was the principal of the fact that they wouldn't fix the issue. So that just about sums up almost every arf I've built, out of the 60 or so put together for people, the customer support just wasn't there. I guess I'm being too critical about helping out the customer, but why should I repair or in my case remold a new fairing for the landing gear and build a new belly pan to make the plane right?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM
skybill
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Waco,
Well, building a kit is just building from plans with the pieces already cut out for you!! Kits are cool but ya' have to remember that one of the main reasons they are out there is there is a "Demand" for that model!! Some old out of print classic kits get revived by someone else!! If you like a particular design, it sure is nice to have a box full of everything (just about) that you need right there, ribs, formers, hardware, "Bent wire for the gear!!" et al. Right now I'm staring at a box full of rolled up plans just awaitin!! One thing about buildin' from plans, ya' gotta cut out all the parts and build the "kit" to build the plane!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:43 AM
planebuilder66

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

It's going on this, a 26cc gas.
[link]http://www.nitroplanes.com/chea12061arf.html[/link]

Theres two guys sitting way too close together in the cockpit of a biplane for my taste bro. Thats definitly a two stroke! [sm=drowning.gif]
OMG,...I just got the double dutch rudder comment like 5 hours later, nice one bro?! man I'm dense, but you know it's still not gay, the two pilots aren't touching eachother.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 AM
CKLLOYD

most of the planes that I own are from plans and what a great thought no more kits.. I think there would be a lot of smarter people out there. there skill level would be very much inproved there abilaty to work with building materal I think that it would make a better more skilled builder and just think if we could pass that on to our kids
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
tryingagain

I would have to say I am an even split between building and flying. When I started in this hobby if you didn't build you didn't fly. I voted for plans. While I love to fly, I love to fly what I've built. I have not tried building from plans yet but I can tell the day is coming. Having the kit cut from the plans is intriguing but also probably expensive. I am hoping kits are available for a few more years.
Either way I hope to be involved in this hobby for years to come!

Cheers

Gord
Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 AM
koastrc

Like you, If you flew you built in the "early days". The last plane built in my shop before Katrina was a quarter scale CUB. Not sure if it GP or SIG. Covered it with one of the fabrics. Painted it with auto paint. Flew good. Many people at the field liked the plane and of course I was proud. The thing about that CUB is it was the only one of its kind.
Today at the field I was doing my trainer thing with two guys. A man in the club come out and shoots the old bull with us. Stories of all sorts of how it was. A second guy comes out. From the back of his truck came a F4-U Corsair. Giant scale only three quartes built. The new guys were wide eyed. After a short conversation the plane went from one truck to the other.
The fun and the joy of the questions the new guys asked was fun. I did my best to tell them the plane had it's own story. Not finished you could see the fine work that went into the aircraft. Will it be finised? Don't know. What I do know is these two new guys were thrilled to see the plane. Some how just by the way these new guys acted. I feel the balsa dust will fly for a long time.
I think there will be room for kits in the world of ARF for many years to come. If not it will be plans, I voted for ARF and plans.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
coachdavis10

I grew up building with my Dad. I got out of the hobby before ARFs became popular and returned about thrree or four years ago. I said that I would never fly ARFs, only stuff I built. Well, I have changed my mind. I have 7 flyable airplanes (3-ARFs, 2 that I built, and two that I bought from somebody that were also built, in a way RTF, I guess). I like the ARFs cause I can fly and take my time building and not be hurried to get it ready. I enjoy building and will always build whether it be kits or from plans. IMO, there is a place for ARFs in my shop but they have served there purpose to get me in the air so I can spend time building.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ARF's do have their place and looks like they will be here to stay, I think the true builders out here will find a way to build whether it is building from plans or bashing an ARF. I think if I ever buy an ARF it will definetly get bashed.
Anthony
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Ok, should have not said anything about having kits for sale. LOL. I am putting together an excell list to send to all of you who asked for it. ( over 50 guys pm'ed me for the list) Please be patient with getting it. I am also asking any of my club members who have stuff for sale to include them as well. I'll handle the transaction for them as most are older guys who can't or don't do the internet thing. Most of what I will have for sale is 60-70's Goldberg, Sterling, Midwest, and Sig kits. Hanging on to the Andrews, Airtronics, and modern jet kits.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Everyone who PM'ed me should have a copy of what I and my other club members have for sale. First to contact me gets to reserve the sale of any of the kits or all of them.