Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Need advice,which kit do I build to spark my interest...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Need advice,which kit do I build to spark my interest...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice,which kit do I build to spark my interest...

Okay, I need help. I want opinions on which kit to build to get my interest back up in the hobby. Seems like I was happiest when I would pull out a kit, lay it out on the board and build the first wing half in a night! Problem is don't know which kit I'll like the most and will be most fun to build. My options are: Astro Hog, Hog Bipe, Super Sportster, Jack Stafford Ercoupe, Sig Something Extra and Pica Waco. I'm wondering what choices you would make and for what reasons. Help me out, what would build and why? Thanks for any responses. And I have 4 stroke engines to go on it but am wondering if I need to try electric. What electric set-up would match up to a 60 size plane? And what ever I build will also get floats hung on it since I live near a lake.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 PM
HarryL

Default RE: Need advice,which kit do I build to spark my interest...

Do the Stafford and do it here.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
HarryL

On second thought, none of the planes you named would look like they belonged on floats. If you really want a float plane that would be unique try a Belanca Aircruiser. A guy on RC Canada did a 120" wing span on floats AFTER he drew his own plans. Cool lookng plane. He did a thread build as he went. This is a scratch build but I know you can do it. Just raising the bar a bit.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One fast building, great flying plane is the Sig 4*60. It is an easy and quick build, and some of the guys have put it on floats.It is a greatkitto bash also. I've seen some really nice ones. A 91 four stroke brings it to life.

Your other choices are good also. The trouble now though it finding kits. Sig has been having trouble shipping for some time and Tower doesn't handle them anymore. Seems like I saw a few weeks back that Sig was shipping the 4*40 again though, so hopefully it was just a short term problem. I ran across a SIg LT40 kit just before Xmas and snatched it up. My son and Grandaughter have been wanting to build a kit and he mentioned the LT40. She got it for her birthday Friday. Ihope to get a call tomorrow. 2500 miles is just to far apart when the kids want to get into a hobby that Ienjoy.

Don

Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi cubfloater,

From your list I would go with the Astro Hog on floats. You may like to consider a Beaver as a great float plane alternative. Just my two cents worth.

Good Luck with what ever you choose,

Colin
Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Sorry, should have made myself clear. I have all these kits and I have a Super Sportster that I'm flying and just finished an Astro Hog last year that soon will have floats. Just wondering what opinions I'd get on the kits I have. Oh and I also have a Waco that's framed up that I hope to finish up at some point. It's an old one that I picked up a few years ago.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

The Astro Hog would be AMAZING on floats! I have always wanted to do a Hog on floats...just don't have the room for it right now :-( - The Hog Bipe is also a really great plane. I built mine about 2 years ago and love it!