Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Painting (airbrushing) over Solartex

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Painting (airbrushing) over Solartex

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 PM
capt17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting (airbrushing) over Solartex

Ok, I know I've posted a bunch of questions lately but I promise I'm nearing the end of my GP Corsair 40 build. I am covering the plane in white solartex so that I can airbrush it in the early tri-color scheme. I need simple step by step instructions on how to prep the surface and how to finish it. I know solartex is fuelproof but do I need to prime the surface? If so with what? What kind or type of paint needs to be used in an airbrush?(ie. acrylic, enamel,lacquer, etc.)I would like to use the testors model masters stuff since the colors seem to be right on. Is this ok for airbrushing? Do I need to clearcoat with something over the paint to make the paint not run when fuel residue hits it? Can I use the same paint and method on the plastic cowl? I've always just done monokote but I want to step outside the box this time and make a really nice looking plane. Thanks for the help so for all the questions!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Painting (airbrushing) over Solartex

I use latex paint on my World Tex and it worked great. You can take your color pictures to the Home Depot paint department and get an exact match. I let my colors dry about a week and then did all my taping with the delicate job blue tape. I did use the latex on my cowling with great success. Once you are done with the colors, let it sit a week and then clear coat it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No prep work or primer is needed on the TEX coverings. I just use the fuel proof paints they use on the lexan cars, it's water based so to thin it is no problem. The reason for the clear coat over the TEX coverings is for the clean up. Engine snot gets into the poors and it is hard to clean, it can also stain the covering.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

No prep work or primer is needed on the TEX coverings. I just use the fuel proof paints they use on the lexan cars, it's water based so to thin it is no problem. The reason for the clear coat over the TEX coverings is for the clean up. Engine snot gets into the poors and it is hard to clean, it can also stain the covering.
Careful, some of that Car Body paint is Water Based,, Not all Most is Lacquer or Enamel Based
Parma's Fas______ (insert color) line is water based

capt17
What ever you do chose, just stick with that one type of paint,, if you spray Lacquer over Acrylic or Latex it most likely will pull the paint up into a wrinkled mess

The thinner the paint the easier to spray,, Water based it the toughest to get thin and still cover without running,, Lacquer is the easiest as it just about dries instantly when sprayed. Don't rush

One more Tip,,, Make sure all the seams are very tight,, you'd hate to find out after the paint goes on

good luck

p.s.
If you look in my gallery, the wings and tail feather of the Rufe and OS2U are Solortex Painted, as well as the entire Stearman and Zero,, I love the stuff
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 AM
capt17

So if I use the acrylic from Testors model master and apply with an airbrush, What clear coat do I need to apply that would make this fuelproof? Or is this stuff fuel proof to start with?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

I have never covered with Solartex but I do use Sig Koverall. It is a fabric also. I seal it with Minwax Polycrilic, which is water based. For paint, I go to my local auto parts store and they mix my paint right there. The color choices are fantastic. And it is fuel proof. It is a latex paint. I have not used a clearcoat yet, but I plan on trying it on my current build.

Very nice gallery Scale only 4 me. Beautiful work.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: stevenmax50
I seal it with Minwax Polycrilic, which is water based.

Very nice gallery Scale only 4 me. Beautiful work.
Thanks,

What do you use to apply the Polycrilic?

capt17,
I doubt that stuff is fuel proof,, it marketed for Plastic Models.
You'll need a lot of those little bottles to cover a 40 size plane

Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

I use latex paint on my World Tex and it worked great. You can take your color pictures to the Home Depot paint department and get an exact match. I let my colors dry about a week and then did all my taping with the delicate job blue tape. I did use the latex on my cowling with great success. Once you are done with the colors, let it sit a week and then clear coat it. Good Luck, Dave
David, I'm curious, what clear coat r u using over the latex? I'm wanting to try latex some time...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Dzlstunter

It's been a year or two since I painted over solartex, but I seem to recall that it is a good idea to "wash" it a bit to get any residual stuff from the manufacturing process off of the covering. Also, I clear coated mine with Nelson's two-part water based system using the cross-linker additive to make it fuel proof. It seemed to work well and is easy to apply with a foam brush as per the instructions. The foam brush system actually works well enough that I must say I can't spray on a better finish. (Of course, that's not saying much!) Good luck, Dzl