Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kits?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kits?

ORIGINAL: stumpffy

what if the plane has a fiberglass cowl or a molded canopy? And how do we preserve these parts in the kits that we buy?
Howdy! To make the canopy that is not a flap wrap job requires a vacume form machine. Plans available from multiple sources. Tom Martin RC has a very nice plan and I will build a bigger version since the one I currently use is 'smallish' and mine doesn't have a heating element (I have to use oven). It's better to have an all-in-one set up.

If you have a canopy then fill it up with the rock hard plaster of paris. Support the canopy (not cut free from its carrier flange) when you do this. When dry, pop out the plaster 'canopy' and you have your 'plug'. You may need to build up the base to level it before 'pulling' canopies from it. The canopy is only as smooth as your plug so finish it as you like.

If you don't have a canopy then carve one from blue foam using the template method. You can either add framework (if needed) to your plug or you can pull another canopy on top of the first to be used as the framework. That's it in a nutshell- good luck! ARUP
Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
stumpffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gray Beard, you mentioned a releasing agent. Would I smear that on the inside of the whole cowling or just the taped portion?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
eddyc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the kits that were sold back in the day never got built! Now you can find them on Ebay. In the last few months I've picked up a Jemco Corsair for $77, Jemco p-47 for $140, Royal Corsair for $275 and an old Top Flite red box P-40 for $135. I also see many Bridi, Goldberg, Sig and others up for auction quite often.