Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

There has to be a better way!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

There has to be a better way!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:11 AM
torquerollin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There has to be a better way!!

I have a planset for the Stick-it V, and the set-up for the elevator and the rudder is not how I want to do it. They have you using a nyrod set up (sleeve, and inner plastic tube) , and at the back you would have to make a real sharp bend to be able to hook up to the control horn. This plane is a fiberglass boom type, and i pretty much ran out of ideas. The only thing that I could think of was to use carbon fibre pushrods, and go from the servo (in the wing) to the tail. Any other suggestions??
Old 07-13-2003, 02:19 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Run your pushrods crossways inside the fuselage and exit on the opposite side. This reduces the sharp bend a bit.

This is how I did it with my H9 Cap 232. Notice the grey pushrod sleeves. They run down the fuselage and cross before exiting. The red tube is my antenna tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	93422_5986.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	53730  
Old 07-13-2003, 02:32 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How small is the boom. If it's too small, you're correct that different system should be used. In sailplane practice where the booms are close to 1/2 inch, sheathed metal cables are used. They will take a tighter turn. You can also bend the wire at the end of the ny-rod. Be very careful when doing this as it can cause control flexibility (bad).
Old 07-14-2003, 01:58 AM
Dogdewd
My Feedback: (6)

Ilikeplanes,

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a better way. I've had several Stickit's before I switched to profile planes. My suggestion is that you use quite a length of 2-56 rod in the control surface end and then place your tape a little further up the boom.

This creates less of an angle and gives you stiffness further into the control rod. I must say I never had any control rod problems, but I am VERY particular about my servo/control surface set up.

There is another suggestion I would make. My number one problem with the stickit series was the tail feathers themselves. The Stickit has a tendency to roll fast enough to torque the tail feathers off.

The way the tail is mounted to the boom (stuck in the corner where the vertical fin meets the stab.), just isn't enough surface area. I took a 1/2" square piece of moderate balsa and sanded a half-round groove or channel that fits the boom in it. Placed it in the corner where the vert fin and stab meet and then glued the block to the boom. No more problems.

Best of luck
Old 07-15-2003, 12:35 AM
torquerollin

Thanks for the responses guys!! Fred, how did you like your stick-its? Any knife-edge??? Thanks again

Torque
Old 07-15-2003, 01:31 AM
Dogdewd
My Feedback: (6)

Enjoyed the airplane quite a bit. It was scratch build, very very light. It was a little to fragile for my liking, but flew well. I didn't have any luck with the knife edge. Perhaps I didn't have the plane set up properly.

I ran an OS .32 on it and it would do things I hadn't seen before. I rolled 3 tails off of it before I finally found a solution. Flew it maybe a three hundred times one summer and sold it to a fellow that just HAD to have it.

Keep saying I'm going to build another one. Have the maple rib templates and the plans. Maybe one of these days.