Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Selling a rare kit: any suggestions?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Selling a rare kit: any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:53 AM
miniatureerections
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a rare kit: any suggestions?

Greetings, Experts!
I've been asked to value a rare kit for a Mooney airplane, originally offered, many moons ago, by the Mooney owner's club. Can anyone help me assess a fair price for this beautiful model kit? Thanks to all.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Selling a rare kit: any suggestions?

Only suggestion I have is that you should change your user name.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
miniatureerections

Point well taken! I concocted that name when I started building architectual (ergo the "erections") models for clients, on an informal basis, and wanted it to depict a raffish sort of self-mockery. I knew it would annoy some, and be memorable to a few. Some of my hobby buddies have gone to the trouble to have t-shirts and even baseball caps imprinted with that moniker, so it "stuck." Guess we're pretty twisted, as it turns out... Any ideas re: my question?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

more details and photos would help. and NOT of the minature erection!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 PM
AH1G

It would help to know the Kit maker, its approximate age/vintage, wingspan, motor requirements and the condition of the plans and box.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:54 PM
reincarnate

ORIGINAL: dhal22

It's been awhile since I read anything here that made me laugh out loud. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
miniatureerections

Thanks, guys,
I wrote about the kit last year when I got it, under the title "Help! Tri R Models Mooney 201" forum, and there'a a snapshot of the kit in that forum. It is a beautiful kit: machine-cut parts, 70" span, 50" fuse, scale of 2": 1 foot, suggests a .60 size engine, and will weigh betw. 7 to 8 1/4 lbs.
Rolled plans and an instruction booklet. Nice 2-layer formed plastic canopy. The cowling must be built-up, as no fiberglass cowl is available.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ROFLMAO!!!

SERIOUSLY BUSTING A GUT, DAMN NEAR FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Now that's good!!! seriously, change fields and be a comedian.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 PM
miniatureerections

Sounds like someone's having fun out there, and that's not bad: some take things 'way too seriously, wholly out-of-place in a hobby, no? That min. erect. handle always gets a reaction, and youse guys are no exception.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM
ARUP

Hi Mini P-shooter! The doctor is 'in'. Name a price on it and offer it. You will either get what you think it's worth or you won't! That'll be $0.50 please!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: miniatureerections

Thanks, guys,
I wrote about the kit last year when I got it, under the title ''Help! Tri R Models Mooney 201'' forum, and there'a a snapshot of the kit in that forum. It is a beautiful kit: machine-cut parts, 70'' span, 50'' fuse, scale of 2'': 1 foot, suggests a .60 size engine, and will weigh betw. 7 to 8 1/4 lbs.
Rolled plans and an instruction booklet. Nice 2-layer formed plastic canopy. The cowling must be built-up, as no fiberglass cowl is available.
I looked at your previous post and the picture, and here's a brutally honest evaluation.

You've got a twenty year old, niche market, fifty dollar swap meet kit, if you can get that much.

New kits in those days, sixty size, sold for a hundred bucks or so. Warbird, civilian, sport, whatever, a c-note would buy them. Some gained value over the years, some did not. Popular manufacturer kits of that nature, sixty size, might go for a hundred or more if they were a P-51 or a Taylorcraft or some such. The Mooney is not a popularly modeled subject, so I'm guessing no one here is going to offer you fifty bucks.

That's not an offer, you understand, I don't have a desire for a Mooney. If you find two guys with a keen interest in Mooney and get them bidding against each other, you might get more than that hundred bucks. My guess is, those two guys don't live in the same state.

Just my opinion, results may vary.
Dave Olson
Old 03-01-2010, 06:22 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: twn

ROFLMAO!!!

SERIOUSLY BUSTING A GUT, DAMN NEAR FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!

glad to be of service.

and back on topic. i buy classic kits occasionally. i'll look up the original thread.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
miniatureerections

Thanks, David,
I got to fly a "real" Mooney, powered by the same engine as my car(!), and that influenced my purchase of the kit, for which I paid Much more than 50 bucks. Looks like I'll be best served by building it myself, its rarity notwithstanding. Appreciate your candor, and thanks to a great, helpful, buncha guys, who also have an appreciation for humor!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the kit is of a Hot Line Mooney Chaparral, then you can likely get $150.00 or more via an e-Bay auction. Good pics of the kit and its interior will help a lot!

Also, since your username came from architectural work, does that mean that you have specs for condominimums?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM
miniatureerections

Hi, Bill.
The kit is a Tri-R 201 Mooney. I have a snap of it in another thread that starts with "Help!"
I build model railroad structures, in all scales, including Z, for clients, have appeared many times in hobby press, product reviews & feature stories, and currently write a monthly feature for ZTrack magazine. Would attach photo, but worried airplane guys'd get upset about a dilapidated, decrepit old factory on their forum! Know nothing about condos, except they turned out to be not such a great investment. I live in the 'burbs, in a single family house, with my cars & toys.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

miniatureerections sounds like a pedophile pedophile pedophile
pervert.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
miniatureerections

Yikes! Should I dare reply? Does this chap think I'm a priest? Actually, I'm just a harmless old goat, retired schoolteacher, never messed around with my students, in all those years. My metaphor: Remem. the seminal generational (Oops! I said semin-al!) film "the Graduate"? I'd have gone with Mrs. Robinson, preferential to Elaine! I admit I do have a thing for black stockings & high heels on statuesque, mayhaps *****y, challenging women! Guilty as charged!
Nonetheless, if you think I'm weird 'cuz of a fun-intentioned metaphorical poke at the model-building world, may I respectfullly suggest you chill a little? Or, should you prefer, my humble apologies for offending your sensibilities, hiowever shrill they appear to me. I do not want to annoy you, it's just a hobby. Sorry.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 PM
mikegordon10

Hey there miniatureerections, me thinks you missed that condo-minimums part from Bax or are you just trying to ignore it?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know you are trying to sell the kit, but when you asked for suggestions first thing I thought was trace the key parts....
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 AM
miniatureerections

Hey,Mike, and Hi, "Food",

Thanks for replying, and yes, I did get the dimunitive real estate joke: I just can't stand it when youse are much wittier than I !! (Or is it "me"?, all I need now are the linguists to come out of the woodwork!) I appreciate the banter, and thanks for that, all of you.
As for tracing the parts, I reckon I'm not, to return to realty lingo, not enuf of a "motivated seller" to go to that trouble. I can take more snaps, but I think a serious buyer would appreciate: 1. the rarity of this , or any Mooney kit, and 2. know the quality reputation of this manufacturer. Life's short, let's have more fun.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not sure you understood my comment about tracing parts?

Many people now are tracing the kits before they build or sell them. It won't be long and some of these designs will be hard to find..Especially since most kit plans don't have all the parts drawn out ..like a set of BUILDERs PLANs might.

A lot of us out here are hoping everyone is thinking down the road for the future, I didn't mean much else...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 PM
yel914

I think Foodstick and I are on the same wavelength here. I trace parts before a build-just in case. Or sometimes, I trace the parts and build a model from the traced parts, preserving the original kit. Not that I would condone copyright infringement or such nonsense, but wouldn't it be nice if the plans, build manual and parts tracings were available to those of us who were really interested in this kit. If only somebody had that original kit. Hmmmmm...
Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 AM
miniatureerections

So this isn't an evil conspiracy to take over model building in the civilized world, as I had originally thought? Seriously, I now do get your reasoning, and it makes very good sense.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
yel914

If you take a look in the Antique and Golden Age section, here on RCU, you'll find a rather large thread on the Pica Waco YMF biplane. The kit is no longer in production and it's proved to be a place for like minded builders of that model to come together, share ideas, plans, info and such. This is all in the hope of preserving that classic plane. I guess my thought was along the same lines. Sort of a niche group to help preserve this rare bird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.