Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

kadet senior

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

kadet senior

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 07:12 AM
fsteen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kadet senior

Hello Gentlemen, I want to build another wing for my senior, but not sure how to configure simple and effective ailerons. I'm not much of an engineer nor familiar with the varying designs. But I really want to have an aileron wing on it. I need some help to do this. Has someone done this? Pictures are worth a thousand words and of course instruction are just as valuable and very much needed.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kadet senior

The most common way to add ailerons to the Kadet Senior is full span strip ailerons. The prefered method IMO is barn door ailerons about 8" to 10" long, 3" to 4" wide near each wing tip. I would drive each aileron with a seperate servo. You will have to cut the appropriate ribs from the framed up wing, frame them up with balsa, do the same for the area you cut from the wing. When you frame up the leading edge of the ailerons, and the trailing edge of the wing, use thick enough balsa to facillitae hinge mounting.

Vince
Old 04-04-2002, 09:19 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default kadet senior

If you add ailerons, you need to take out most or all of the dihedral for them to be effective. I would also prefer the barndoor type as described by Vince above but the strip ailerons are so much easier to do that you might want to try that first. Again, you need to get rid of the dihedral in order for the ailerons to be effective. You should also set them up so you have about twice as much up command as down command.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:01 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kadet senior

Good point about the dihedral Rodney,I forgot that, thanks for bringing ot up.

Vince
Old 04-06-2002, 04:17 PM
iflywarbirds
My Feedback: (12)

Default fsteen

If you have the old plans I would work with them to get an idea of what I need to just build another set of wings...that would be much easier that cutting the wing into and taking the dihedral out. I would just take the planes and build another wing with the ailerons on them...this way you can still be flying the plane..use either method of attatching the ailerons as described above...or get a set of planes with ailerons on them and get the infromation from there...hope this helps....Gerry
Old 04-07-2002, 08:35 PM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

Default kadet senior

FYI...Sig used to sell wing kits for the Sr Kadet...you might check into that possibility to build another wing.....not sure of the price but they were approx, #32 in the late 90's ...

I have built several of the aileron wings... I make the ailerons about 13 inches long and to the rear spar...usually from the tip rib back toward the center 4 ribs.....and definitely use individual aileron servos....with more up than down....hope this helps....
Old 04-14-2002, 12:45 AM
Waco-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Default Senior Kadet

I built a kadet with barn door ailerons and flaps. I took the all the dihedrial out except 1 inch. That is lay one side flat and the other side should show 1 in. from a flat surface. This works really well and is a joy to fly. I have been flying this plane for the last 3 years and it is one of my favorites. I went with a saito 91 4-stroke and with proper throttle management it works well. I also strengthened the firewall area and sheet the landing gear area with lite ply and even than you need to be careful. this is not extra that you would snap and do other stressful aoerobatics. I don't think the airframe could handle that. I just wanted a relaxing plane to fly and that is what I got. Oh, I also coverted it too a taildragger and changed the wing mounting to nylon bolts. As far as the ailerons go I used 12 in. for the flaps and the rest went for the ailerons. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:13 AM
fsteen

Default kadet senior

Hello all, thank for the tips gentlemen. Since my post I have found out a few things. I did have some indecision about the aileron configuration, but found some pictures. This was a great help at a web site devoted almost entirerly to sig senior kadets. Sig mfg has this ph. no. 1-800-247-5008 they emailed me. They do have complete wing kits for the kadet still available, this pleased me much. So i'll be building this wing kit modified on the plans,then upon completion i'll razor saw the ailerons off to complete them.See you all later. The Kadets URL is---- http://home.earthlink.net/~pjburke1/kadets.htm I hope this is correct. Enjoy.